No announcement yet.

The Harsfiarden Incident October 1982.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Harsfiarden Incident October 1982.

Jive Turkey has been a sonar operator for the US navy for 20 years and in this video he listens to the audio of the suspected soviet sub transiting Swedish waters. IIRC, the initial claim made by the Swedish forces was suspect and more than likely a civilian trawler... yet something else could be heard later on that wasn't picked up. I'm not sure if this was correct, if a sub could be heard, they would have heard it back in '82. Besides, 44 depth charges was dropped and four naval mines were detonated trying to sink it.

Also, here is a link to Swedish sub incidents over the years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedis...g_the_cold_war
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

And yet the Soviets had a long history of violating foreign national waters with their subs, even grounding a couple of them in foreign waters.

Because they did not sink it does not mean it wasn't there.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
      Jive Turkey has been a sonar operator for the US navy for 20 years and in this video he listens to the audio of the suspected soviet sub transiting Swedish waters. IIRC, the initial claim made by the Swedish forces was suspect and more than likely a civilian trawler... yet something else could be heard later on that wasn't picked up. I'm not sure if this was correct, if a sub could be heard, they would have heard it back in '82. Besides, 44 depth charges was dropped and four naval mines were detonated trying to sink it.

Also, here is a link to Swedish sub incidents over the years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedis...g_the_cold_war
      I watched the video when it came out. Jive is pretty good at interpreting sonar, he got the Argentinian sub accident right on the money using publicly available seismic hydrophones. I'm willing to say that if he heard a Russian sub, then there's a Russian sub there, after all he spent his career tracking Russian subs in the North Atlantic among other places.

He covers the diesel heard, and why it could be easily mistaken for a submarine diesel. Really the only reason that you can tell it's not a submarine diesel is because the engine cuts in and out repeatedly, something a fisherman would do but a diesel sub would definitely not do. I think that the Swedes heard the diesel kick in, pegged that for what it could be, and didn't really do a deeper dive into the hydrophone recordings.

The sounds he covers are a lot more discrete, a submerged valve opening and closing, and blade tip cavitation (that according to him cannot come from a shallow propeller on a ship and can only be generated by a propeller at some depth like you would find on a submarine). Based on the location of the minefield and the hydrophones set up in the Swedish 'sub trap', he even gives a logical explanation of the sounds, that being a Soviet submarine moving up the fjord found itself inside the U shaped minefield set up to trap a submarine, and the blade tip cavitation is from the captain doing his best to remain quiet while also shagging ass out of danger.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X