No announcement yet.

Russian naval power, and power projection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not strict limits, just that as ships get older, they get harder to keep running and deployable, so what they did 10 years ago wouldn't have any bearing on what they could do today.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
      Not strict limits, just that as ships get older, they get harder to keep running and deployable, so what they did 10 years ago wouldn't have any bearing on what they could do today.
      well they've been sending ships 6000 miles or so from the northern fleet to syria. been sending ships to the horn of africa and the inidian ocean, within 5 years of today give or take a few months.

they just sent two vessels on a circumnavigation of the globe, the admiral tributs visited the phillipines which was approx. 1900+mile journey (not super long but i'd say that counts as out of area)

CNO thinks the atlantic has had lots of activity from russia circa 2018
      https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...tlantic-ocean/

in the last 6 years russia has increased their time at sea from 5900 days at sea to 17,100

so what am i supposed to be finding that would preclude a russian naval forray to venezuela, because all i'm seeing is that it's becoming more and more likely the russian navy will have a naval task force in caribbean or western atlantic. even if that's just 2 or 3 combat ships with an oiler and a tug.

edit
      i mean the navy even recreated a 2nd fleet due to the increase in russian naval operations.
      https://www.military.com/daily-news/...erational.html

russian naval presence around europe greater than the soviet presence during the cold war

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN17B0O8
      the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
      A man dies and leaves his name,
      A teacher dies and teaches death.
      Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Comment

i feel like i've brought enough evidence to support the idea that a small russian naval task force operating off the coast of venezuela for at least a week or two is not that far fetched of a scenario.

if there is disagreement, i would like to see some actual sources from the last 10 years to support that belief (since it's been within the last 10 years or so that russia began reinvesting in their navy)

Comment

You keep moving the goalposts, but that's nothing new. In you first post, you use the terms "task force", "naval presence", "surge" and
          based on making sure outside forces leave Venezuela alone
          Those terms all hint at a decent size force. Now you're talking about 2-3 frigates with a tug and replenishment ship for a week or two. Sure, Russia can do that, just like any of the other top 20 navies in the world can.

Comment

You keep moving the goalposts, but that's nothing new. In you first post, you use the terms "task force", "naval presence", "surge" and Those terms all hint at a decent size force. Now you're talking about 2-3 frigates with a tug and replenishment ship for a week or two. Sure, Russia can do that, just like any of the other top 20 navies in the world can.
            what would you call a decent size force?

you see i specifically mentioned in the first post i specifically ask what would be possible for them. 3 frigates/destroyer/cruisers and 2 support ships is a group of 5 ships.

most US groups are 4-5 ships, the support ships operating independently from the ARG or CBG. so if 3 warships isn't a decent sized force, then is an ARG or a US SAG not a decent sized force?

Comment

Have fun with your thread...bye.

Comment

Have fun with your thread...bye.
                So youíre mad that you either misread/misinterpreted my OP, or that I found ample evidence of the Russian navy being capable of deploying around 6000 miles from a home port?

so you agree that they can do 3 ships for 2 weeks, what about 3 ships for a month? Could they surge two more vessels in theater for a week or two if they felt it necessary?

Comment

Since some people had an issue with my previous wording Iíll reword my question.

what is the largest naval presence Russia could realistically send to the Caribbean and how long could they realistically maintain that presence?
                  could they then reinforce that presence if they deemed it necessary and how long could they then realistically maintain their new level of presence?

Comment

The Russian navy is very short of replenishment ships. According to the Naval Institute's Combat Fleets of the World, they only have 4 oilers of 6900 tons. All were built in the 60's. They would be very dependent on fueling and reprovisioning in Cuba or Venezuela. Any air support would also have to be land based. Since they never got the Mistrals, they couldn't have any affect on what happens on land. Their only task could be scaring away merely by their presence. So far from home, they probably would avoid any "bumping" incidents like they've tried in the Black Sea. They'd be too far away from repair facilities. Since the only country to intervene would probably be us, their presence would be a political problem, not a naval one. The only close example would be the Cuban missile crisis.

Comment

The Russian navy is very short of replenishment ships. According to the Naval Institute's Combat Fleets of the World, they only have 4 oilers of 6900 tons. All were built in the 60's. They would be very dependent on fueling and reprovisioning in Cuba or Venezuela. Any air support would also have to be land based. Since they never got the Mistrals, they couldn't have any affect on what happens on land. Their only task could be scaring away merely by their presence. So far from home, they probably would avoid any "bumping" incidents like they've tried in the Black Sea. They'd be too far away from repair facilities. Since the only country to intervene would probably be us, their presence would be a political problem, not a naval one. The only close example would be the Cuban missile crisis.
                      ya it would obviously be a primarily political move sending ships to the region.

could they stuff a handful of marines (or do they call them a naval brigade?) on their ships in plan to deploy them ashore via helo and RHIB?

or just stuff them in where ever pull into port in Venezuela and simply off load them to the embassy.

i imagine between two or three combatants, a supply ship, and a sub, they could probably manage to get 100 or so troops ashore.

Comment

Working...
                      X