S-80M Sea Dragon Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-80M Sea Dragon Replacement?

Something i've wondered for a while now, is there a replacement for the sea dragon helicopter i haven't heard of since MCM work isn't very sexy or glamorous it just hasn't made much news?

recent scrutiny on the USN's MCM fleet has brought this back to mind since the avengers apparently aren't going to be much help in mine clearance, and the MCM module for the LCSes was cancelled...an MCM helo would seem useful.

also could a sono-bouy be used in locating mines, and once located could a munition simply be dropped to destroy it?
    the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
    A man dies and leaves his name,
    A teacher dies and teaches death.
    Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Won't work on all mines. They are still finding WWII mines that seem to go off whenever they want to.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
      Won't work on all mines. They are still finding WWII mines that seem to go off whenever they want to.

Pruitt
      What won’t work on all mines? my sonobouy idea?

Comment

Some mines are tethered to an anchor and free float. Sonobuoys work on them. You also have magnetic mines that go down to the mud and activate by a ship's magnetic signature. These can have encapsuled Torpedoes or just explode and the effect breaks the ship passing over's hull. These are very hard to spot the Navy tried for years to train Dolphins and Seals to find them and explode them. Some mines have a timer and only activate after a certain amount of time has passed.

Pruitt

Comment

Some mines are tethered to an anchor and free float. Sonobuoys work on them. You also have magnetic mines that go down to the mud and activate by a ship's magnetic signature. These can have encapsuled Torpedoes or just explode and the effect breaks the ship passing over's hull. These are very hard to spot the Navy tried for years to train Dolphins and Seals to find them and explode them. Some mines have a timer and only activate after a certain amount of time has passed.

Pruitt
          i'm not seeing how sonar wouldn't be able to locate all of these other kinds of mines...i understand there may be frequencies or intensities that work better for MCM work vs others, but if a sono-bouy can work on a tethered mine why wouldn't it work on another kind of mine?

Comment

The sonobuoy reflects off a sonar image. If the mine is on the seafloor it can't say "this is a mine and this is a pile of mud".

Pruitt

Comment

The sonobuoy reflects off a sonar image. If the mine is on the seafloor it can't say "this is a mine and this is a pile of mud".

Pruitt
              So a pile of mud and a hunk of metal have the same acoustic properties under water?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X