Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S-80M Sea Dragon Replacement?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • S-80M Sea Dragon Replacement?

    Something i've wondered for a while now, is there a replacement for the sea dragon helicopter i haven't heard of since MCM work isn't very sexy or glamorous it just hasn't made much news?

    recent scrutiny on the USN's MCM fleet has brought this back to mind since the avengers apparently aren't going to be much help in mine clearance, and the MCM module for the LCSes was cancelled...an MCM helo would seem useful.

    also could a sono-bouy be used in locating mines, and once located could a munition simply be dropped to destroy it?
    the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

    A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
    A man dies and leaves his name,
    A teacher dies and teaches death.
    Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

  • #2
    Won't work on all mines. They are still finding WWII mines that seem to go off whenever they want to.

    Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

    Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

    by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
      Won't work on all mines. They are still finding WWII mines that seem to go off whenever they want to.

      Pruitt
      What won’t work on all mines? my sonobouy idea?
      the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

      A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
      A man dies and leaves his name,
      A teacher dies and teaches death.
      Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

      Comment


      • #4
        Some mines are tethered to an anchor and free float. Sonobuoys work on them. You also have magnetic mines that go down to the mud and activate by a ship's magnetic signature. These can have encapsuled Torpedoes or just explode and the effect breaks the ship passing over's hull. These are very hard to spot the Navy tried for years to train Dolphins and Seals to find them and explode them. Some mines have a timer and only activate after a certain amount of time has passed.

        Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

        Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

        by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          Some mines are tethered to an anchor and free float. Sonobuoys work on them. You also have magnetic mines that go down to the mud and activate by a ship's magnetic signature. These can have encapsuled Torpedoes or just explode and the effect breaks the ship passing over's hull. These are very hard to spot the Navy tried for years to train Dolphins and Seals to find them and explode them. Some mines have a timer and only activate after a certain amount of time has passed.

          Pruitt
          i'm not seeing how sonar wouldn't be able to locate all of these other kinds of mines...i understand there may be frequencies or intensities that work better for MCM work vs others, but if a sono-bouy can work on a tethered mine why wouldn't it work on another kind of mine?
          the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

          A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
          A man dies and leaves his name,
          A teacher dies and teaches death.
          Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

          Comment


          • #6
            The sonobuoy reflects off a sonar image. If the mine is on the seafloor it can't say "this is a mine and this is a pile of mud".

            Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

            Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

            by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              The sonobuoy reflects off a sonar image. If the mine is on the seafloor it can't say "this is a mine and this is a pile of mud".

              Pruitt
              So a pile of mud and a hunk of metal have the same acoustic properties under water?
              the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

              A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
              A man dies and leaves his name,
              A teacher dies and teaches death.
              Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

              Comment

              Latest Topics

              Collapse

              Working...
              X