Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Launch of LHD 'Trieste' for the Italian Navy.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launch of LHD 'Trieste' for the Italian Navy.

With over 1,000 sleeping accommodations, the new LHD will feature a 230-metre long helicopter flight deck, allowing the operation of a battalion consisting of 600 personnel, and a dock-garage for 1,200 linear metres of wheeled and tracked vehicles, both civilian and military.

The floodable dock – 50 metres long and 15 metres wide – will enable the ship to deploy the most technically advanced amphibious equipment and vehicles of EU and NATO Navies.

The different areas of cargo securing are accessible through cranes, stern and side ramps, and cargo handling will be managed by internal ramps and elevators. A fully equipped hospital will also be available onboard, complete with operating rooms, radiology and analysis rooms, a dentist’s office, and patient rooms capable of hosting 27 seriously injured patients (further admissions are possible through duly equipped container modules)

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news...-italian-navy/
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

I wonder who Italy sees as a potential target for an amphibious intervention?
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      I wonder who Italy sees as a potential target for an amphibious intervention?
      Since it was designed to be multipurpose, just about anyone who borders the Med. It can be used for humanitarian missions, rescuing nationals in a dangerous situation or raids on terrorist camps.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post

Since it was designed to be multipurpose, just about anyone who borders the Med. It can be used for humanitarian missions, rescuing nationals in a dangerous situation or raids on terrorist camps.
        Given current Italian government attitudes I'can't see much prospect of an Italian humanitarian effort in North Africa any time soon and I don't suppose there is any great appetite for military intervention there either. Indeed the whole of the Southern Med would seem to have large do not disturb notices all over it
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Indeed the whole of the Southern Med would seem to have large do not disturb notices all over it
          Correct. The problem is that a country might not want to intercede but the other side might do something to force them to step in.
          I'm sure "retaking the Falklands" wasn't even contemplated as a reason for the RN when they decided to build the HMS Fearless and HMS Intrepid.
          Last edited by johns624; 26 May 19, 15:02.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
            Correct. The problem is that a country might not want to intercede but the other side might do something to force them to step in.
            I'm sure "retaking the Falklands" wasn't even contemplated as a reason for the RN when they decided to build the HMS Fearless and HMS Intrepid.
            But the RN did have a number of other potential adversaries at the time. They didn't just build them on the off chance that they might need them. So I repeat what are the Italian potential targets?

Comment

The Italian navy is also hoping to have Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) capability in 2024 with the delivery of its first PPA (Pattugliatore Polivalente d'Altura or Offshore Multipurpose Patrol Ship).
              "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
              Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

But the RN did have a number of other potential adversaries at the time. They didn't just build them on the off chance that they might need them. So I repeat what are the Italian potential targets?
                They are a NATO member so I guess the same potential targets that the British and French have amphibious assault ships for. They have had the San Marco Marine Regiment for years.

Comment

It is made to be a Lightning Carrier first, then a LHD/Multi-mission ship next.

Comment

"Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have"

The ship is going to be around for a few decades. Between the Trieste and the Cavour the Italian navy should be able to fly upto two dozen F-35s from their decks.

Comment

But the RN did have a number of other potential adversaries at the time.
                      Hi Mark

Such as?
                      All our military was orientated to combat the WP. Anything else would be an unforeseen scenario.

Regards

Andy H

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X