Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future submarine project deadlocked as French shipbuilder digs in on contract.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reports are coming in its now all signed and sealed ready to proceed.
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
      Reports are coming in its now all signed and sealed ready to proceed.
      Good. Looking from afar, it seems like Australia has a pretty good plan to keep her domestic shipbuilding industry running for a few decades. They are finishing up the Hobarts, then have the Anzac replacement program, the submarines, with some OPVs thrown in for good measure. That's good that everything doesn't wear out at the same time, unlike Canada. They need new frigates, icebreakers, fighter jets, plus other smaller projects, all at once.

Comment

I expect it will have issues at the start, new sub design always do... but thanks to the Collins debacle most people won’t see the fruition of the work.
        Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Saw the big news last night, it's full steam ahead (for better or worse.)

In the latest issue of the navy league of Australia magazine it quotes the Australian national office estimates of the build costs which indicates a cost blow out of up to 80% may occur, and a blow out of over 10% ($5B) has already been declared before any steel has been cut.

If anything approaching those figures come about, well, words fail me.

The navy league have been trying to get a breakdown of the submarine build costs for sometime, but no results, anyway fingers crossed with the first boat fully operational around 2035, (but I guess by then the the waters to our north will be teeming with nuclear submarines.)

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie View Post
            Saw the big news last night, it's full steam ahead (for better or worse.)

Strewth the Strine Navy are adopting the K class steam powered subs
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Chuckle, I hope the French turn out a slightly better sub then the old "Kalamity class."

British K-class submarine...
              The K-class submarines were a class of steam-propelled submarines of the Royal Navy designed in 1913. Intended as large, fast vessels with the endurance and speed to operate with the battle fleet, they gained notoriety and the nickname of "Kalamity class" for being involved in many accidents. Of the 18 built, none was lost through enemy action, but six sank, with significant loss of life, in accidents. Only one ever engaged an enemy vessel, K-7 hitting a U-boat amidships, though the torpedo failed to explode with what has been described as typical "K" luck; K-7 escaped retaliation by steaming away at speed.

On steam, does this count....

The main difference between conventional submarines and nuclear submarines is the power generation system. Nuclear submarines employ nuclear reactors for this task. They either generate electricity that powers electric motors connected to the propeller shaft or rely on the reactor heat to produce STEAM that drives steam turbines (cf. nuclear marine propulsion). Wiki

Probably not.

A serious question....
              If the Aussies asked nicely....and payed big bucks....would the Brits have ever sold the Astute class?

Comment

The thing that worries me, is the pump jet propulsion... on paper it puts Australia in an exclusive group of nations who use pump jet, but we may never get to stretch the Barra' to it's full potential because it will use batteries. From what I can read into this, props are more efficient at low speeds, while the pump jet excels at high speeds. But with pump jet operating at low speeds, endurance decreases. In any case, if the Barra ends up with a prop it wont be a setback, a slightly slower sub but one with more endurance time.
                Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X