X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Type XXI U-boat found

Missing sub rumored to have brought Nazis to South America discovered

https://nypost.com/2018/04/18/missin...ergnet_2796427

Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

The article s incorrect on one point. Most German WW2 U boats could reach S America non stop, this type using a snorkel (already in use by the Dutch navy pre WW2) could do it continuously submerged at surface speeds
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      The article s incorrect on one point. Most German WW2 U boats could reach S America non stop, this type using a snorkel (already in use by the Dutch navy pre WW2) could do it continuously submerged at surface speeds
      I think that is what they were "trying" to say. This is the challenge of having mostly journalism grads doing reporting with little to no other significant area of study, like science, engineering, history, etc. to their experience.
      Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
      TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
      Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

Weren't the type 21s supposed to be air independent subs?

Comment

No, they had schnorkels to run their diesels underwater. The Germans were working on what you are talking about, but it had not been perfected by the end of the war.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            No, they had schnorkels to run their diesels underwater. The Germans were working on what you are talking about, but it had not been perfected by the end of the war.

Pruitt
            And one could argue that given the number of fatal accidents in subs using Hydrogen Peroxide systems never was perfected.

However a small number of Type XVII Coastal U Boats (5?) using the system were commissioned mid war. One went to the US post war and one each to the USSR and the UK
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Working...
            X