S.M.S. Viribus Unitis (3D model)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.M.S. Viribus Unitis (3D model)

S.M.S. Viribus Unitis (1912-1918) was an Austro-Hungarian battleship notorious for being sunk by the first human torpedo ever to be deployed (by Italians).

On the bottom of the main page you will see a diagram with yellow rectangles. Each yellow rectangle is a link to a different view of the 3D model.

What I found interesting is that the triple small guns sitting on top of the B main turret are anti-torpedo boat guns, not AAA guns. I guess in early 20th century anti-air warfare did not factor into dreadnought design and little torpedo boats were seen as the primary agile opponents.

P.S. Who can translate Viribus Unitis from Latin?

http://www.viribusunitis.ca/index.htm

Last edited by MonsterZero; 31 Oct 07, 23:32.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

All I can find is it is the Imperial motto. Unitas usually translates as United. Someone in here MUST have passed High School Latin! I can't be the only dummy that flunked it...

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

These ships could have met the Italian Navy on more then equal terms. I have wondered why they didnt go out and see more action than they did.

Comment

That is a great site dedicated for the ship, an excellent find!

And those who seek the translation of "Viribus Unitis" it states what it translates to on the main page... meaning, 'With United Forces'
        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
        Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
        Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung baby View Post
          And those who seek the translation of "Viribus Unitis" it states what it translates to on the main page... meaning, 'With United Forces'
          That's right! It could be also freely translated as 'All Together'.
          Historia Magistra Vitae.
          M. T. Cicero

Comment

In combat, those anti-torpedo-boat gunners atop the main turrets would have been subjected tio the full force of blast pressure, heat and incredible noise every time the guns went off. They probably had to be strapped in. I wonder how accurate they would have been under those conditions?
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

if u ever come to vienna go to the militaerhistorisches museum there is a huge modell of the unitis. also some other nice stuff. its one of the best military museums nobody has ever heard off maybe the best
              "Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube"
              (May others wage war, you lucky Austria marry)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X