• Show
Clear All

• F-14 - Libyan MiG-23 Engagement

F-14 - Libyan MiG-23 Engagement
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Wow!
    "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

Interesting. I didn't know that the surface of the water can throw off missiles tracking.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
        Interesting. I didn't know that the surface of the water can throw off missiles tracking.
        Technically anything can throw off missile lock, even flying into the sun. They also underperform in bad weather. On the other hand during the Falkaland War the accuracy of Sidewinder missiles fired by the British was close to 100%. Every missile has its own attack envelope. Part of the envelope includes a no-escape zone which means that if the missile is fired within certain parameters evasion is impossible unless the missile fails after launch. The victim may as well eject. Some of those fragmentation warheads are designed to smash the canopy and kill the pilot. The seekers is actually programmed to fly a lead pursuit that will hit the canopy axis. I think the injuries sustained by wounded pilots is one thing that's been missing from movies like Top Gun or Iron Eagle. I'm talking decapitations and severed limbs and intestines on the cockpit floor.

By the way, that video is just a montage of various movies from air combat practice but the audio recording is probably real.
        Last edited by MonsterZero; 22 Oct 07, 03:15.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

interesting video thanks ..
          owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
          (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X