Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is this Aircraft Carrier Here? (Google Earth)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is this Aircraft Carrier Here? (Google Earth)

My appologies if this has been discussed before.

For those of you with Google Earth, take a look at:
    31 Degrees, 06 Minutes, 17.80 Seconds North
    121 Degrees, 00 Minutes, 50.20 Seconds East

What are the Chinese up to with this Aircraft Carrier? It seems a rather odd place to keep one. Is it an elaborate mock-up for training?

For those of you without Google Earth take a look at this link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...craft_carrier/

Yes the site is tongue-in-cheek, but the photo is real (if Google Earth is to be trusted).

Originally posted by Mechashef View Post
    My appologies if this has been discussed before.

For those of you with Google Earth, take a look at:
    31 Degrees, 06 Minutes, 17.80 Seconds North
    121 Degrees, 00 Minutes, 50.20 Seconds East

What are the Chinese up to with this Aircraft Carrier? It seems a rather odd place to keep one. Is it an elaborate mock-up for training?

For those of you without Google Earth take a look at this link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...craft_carrier/

Yes the site is tongue-in-cheek, but the photo is real (if Google Earth is to be trusted).

The Chinese bought it to convert to a 'theme park'. Some believe it's to reverse engineer it to build Chinese aircraft carriers in the future.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

It would have been a fun job taking through those narrow canals to get it there!

What ship was it before being sold to the Chinese? HMAS Melbourne?

Comment

IIRC, it was the Russian Varyag.
        ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
        2) Enjoy playing it
        3) Enjoy sharing it
        4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Its a replica of a Nimitz class at the Green Boat theme park near Shanghai.
          http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...na/cv-pics.htm

The Varyag is still undergoing reconstruction at the Dalian shipyards in northern China, It should be operational sometime around mid 2008 from what I've found.

Comment

Originally posted by the_redstar_swl View Post
            Its a replica of a Nimitz class at the Green Boat theme park near Shanghai.
            How Bizarre!

Why would they do that?

Comment

How Bizarre!

Why would they do that?
              If you build it they will come........
              As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
              Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

How Bizarre!

Why would they do that?
                For the money. One billion Chinese = how many Yuan from visitors each year?

Comment

Hang on , surly this was done in JAPAN , there weird enough to build a aircraft carrier in a lake to go fishing off to catch imported coelecanths from Afirica......... er, just joking . That really is incredible, and if it wasnt for that photo from the inside of the theme park , you would never have guessed. I wonder if its about time we let the CIA know what we are privy to now!

Comment

Check this out http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07...ngtan_mystery/

It seems the Chinese may plan on attacking India in the near future with this massive scale model of disputed area on the Chinese/India border.
                    "Folks need to be realists and realize that peace is a nice idea, but ultimately unattainable on a worldwide level."
                    - 6thInf Grandson

Comment

Either that or they looking even further and plan to invade Mars! Thats incredible, you really do wonder what that could be for , except for what pinpoint 99 has suggested, mind you , i.ve got some great model tanks at home, i could really use that for a diorama im trying to build!

Comment

When I was a youngster our family would take drives through the mountains of Southern California. Somewhere, not sure where, there was a small lake off to one side of the highway (this was pretty high up in the mountains, maybe 5 to 7 thousand feet) that was apparently a US Navy base as there was a real live full size submarine, diesel I imagine, based there. I'll see if I can find out anything about this. Slug does this ring a bell?
                        "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

Since it's a replica of the Nimitz Class, they could attack somebody and then the country might blame it on the U.S
                          "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

I have read that its made out of concrete

Comment

If that is indeed supposed to look like a Nimitz-class carrier, they failed miserably. It's too small, the island is completely wrong, and there's no communications tower aft of the island.
                              Ship of the Month: USS McFaul (DDG 74)
                              Click Here for More Info

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X