Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nastle View Post
    2 CIWS versus 50 boats?
    Other than that I'm sure there are 50 cal that can engage those boats?
    Will those MRL be of any use at such close range against warships ?
    I'm just curious if that scenario ever been played by someone in a war game
    Those boats engagement range will be shorter than the CWIS, they going to be taking fire long before they can shoot back and hit, and one stray hit wont win them the fight where one burst from the CWIS will sink them and once they in range of the ship, the ship can unload with machine gun fire. things change in a bad weather though where they could sneak close enough to hit there targets.

The 107mm can direct fire with great effect problem is you shooting HE warheads so you could damage but never sink and a damaged warship can still fight.

Yes and it was very effective.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002

Warships don't win wars troops do. If I run through in poor weather I can get close to say a troop ship and unloaded in to it I have won, even if all 50 ships get sunk to sink one transport I win, I mean how many M1s are carried on one ship what's there value vs mine. I have some suicidal crews in cheap boats using cheap weapons that destroyed the biggest threats to my nation.
    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Destroyer USS Mahan Fires Warning Shots in Standoff with Iranian Forces

Originally posted by nastle View Post
      In practical terms do these boats have any chance of successfully attacking a destroyer in narrow confines of the gulf ?
      I will just say that those boats are concerning. With that being said, a warship captain's primary responsibility is the safety of his/her warship. I also suspect that ROEs may become less restrictive with the incoming administration, especially if General Mattis is confirmed. I personally believe that it is high time that we send a couple of IRGN boats to the bottom as an object lesson to the rest of those a$$h0les!!!!

https://news.usni.org/2017/01/09/uss...off#more-23167
      Last edited by Bass_Man86; 11 Jan 17, 12:34.
      Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
      Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Film at 7.

I could go for that
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I don't get the whole "multiple warning shots" thing. You should get ONE! In fact, by now, they have been warned enough that someone needs to be sunk. Time to be a little unpredictable.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
            I don't get the whole "multiple warning shots" thing. You should get ONE! In fact, by now, they have been warned enough that someone needs to be sunk. Time to be a little unpredictable.
            News report I heard was that the warning shots were .50 cal. MG, Ma Deuce. Perhaps a short burst.
            Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
            Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

RoE are made for a reason...ours is not to question....remember the politicians are in control....and i won't go any further then that..but i will be glad in about 10 days that a certain politician will no longer be making the RoE judgements.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                Those boats engagement range will be shorter than the CWIS, they going to be taking fire long before they can shoot back and hit, and one stray hit wont win them the fight where one burst from the CWIS will sink them and once they in range of the ship, the ship can unload with machine gun fire. things change in a bad weather though where they could sneak close enough to hit there targets.

The 107mm can direct fire with great effect problem is you shooting HE warheads so you could damage but never sink and a damaged warship can still fight.

Yes and it was very effective.

Warships don't win wars troops do. If I run through in poor weather I can get close to say a troop ship and unloaded in to it I have won, even if all 50 ships get sunk to sink one transport I win, I mean how many M1s are carried on one ship what's there value vs mine. I have some suicidal crews in cheap boats using cheap weapons that destroyed the biggest threats to my nation.
                I was thinking more along the lines of Ship Self Defense System; 22mm rapid fire gun if recall correctly.
                Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                  I was thinking more along the lines of Ship Self Defense System; 22mm rapid fire gun if recall correctly.
                  Mk 38 25mm Bushmaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy31a View Post
                    RoE are made for a reason...ours is not to question....remember the politicians are in control....and i won't go any further then that..but i will be glad in about 10 days that a certain politician will no longer be making the RoE judgements.
                    Are you up to being recalled?

Comment

If that is in the cards....

Comment

I tried that once. Fks got the war over to soon to get all the red tape completed.

Comment

regarding this excercise I wonder how many ships of blu navy will be hit and damaged if the red navy did not employ any missiles just MRL , mines and torpedoes ?

Comment

Define useless?
                            im not sure what the range is on the weapons, but both could cause serious damage to a modern warship, and a mission kill is quite feasible.

they harass in 2s and 3s but if they ever actually attacked there’d likely be no less than a dozen, and realistically a single DDG would take a few hits especially if it was the first shots of a conflict.

are they likely to sink anything larger than a cyclone class patrol boat? No. But they could put a Burke or Ticonderoga in port for a month or more and kill and injure several sailors.
                            the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
                            A man dies and leaves his name,
                            A teacher dies and teaches death.
                            Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Comment

Was the primary tech and operator for my ship’s mk38s during its second deployment.
                              Mk38 Mod0/1 you’ll be lucky to destroy on of those boats before running out of ammo.
                              MK38Mod2 you’d likely be able to deal with one boat so it’s no longer a threat and seriously damage another before running out of ammo.
                              thats per gun.

my experience of watching phalanx during killer tomato shoots tells me it would account for 3-5 boats before needing a reload

5” with KEET rounds will probably account for most kills. hard to estimate, but probably about 6-8 before they get rounds off depending on the situation.

so I’d say no fewer than 10 would be necessary for a single boat to get in a range they’d like, fire and boogie away (though the retreating boat would likely be taken out by 5”)

just this gunner’s mate’s opinion.

edit
                              personally think the crew served small arms would be lucky to seriously damage a single boat because I doubt they’d get within 1000yds

Also the mk38 and CSW teams don’t get much practice with actual targets to shoot...normally it’s just shooting the water to qualify a shooter or make sure the system works.
                              Last edited by General_Jacke; 16 Jul 18, 16:20.

Comment

Also those 107 rockets have much greater range than mk38, or phalanx, so they could close to about 2.5miles and fire out of range of those systems, only having to worry about 5””.
                                Last edited by General_Jacke; 16 Jul 18, 20:35.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X