Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest warship of all time

Hi

Well an impossible question with an equally impossible array of answers, however that didn't stop the USNI from asking the question and posting the results

https://news.usni.org/2016/04/06/sur...ip-of-all-time

I can see the worth behind the USS Nautilus and HMS Dreadnought and A/C's as a class (rather than any singular vessel) but the others are so-so and many others could well have taken their place

Regards

Andy H
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

A submarine perhaps but which one. Nautilus had many first but only due to it being nuclear powered. How about one that went from one row of rowers to two or three or four or placed a sail on them or...

NA naming one seems all but impossible to me.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I better we could do a better poll
      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

I agree, we could come up with a better poll. Overall I just can't see the Constitution topping Big E.
        Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

I'd say a Ohio or Typhoon. Both hold the power to devastate a continent and keep the peace...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            I'd say a Ohio or Typhoon. Both hold the power to devastate a continent and keep the peace...
            Irony ?
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

That's funny...

I'm always wary of anything that starts out with "The greatest..." because the whole thing is so subjective. Does the Constitution compare in any way with Nelson's Victory? How about the massive flagships of the Chinese navy in it's ancient heyday?

Which nuclear subs are more important? Boomers or attacks subs...or the original Nautilus?

What criteria were used? Innovative?

The issue is way too broad and sweeping to allow for a single vessel as an answer.

Comment

No. I'm a adherent to being strong makes the opfor think twice about attacking. If you know someone is going to blow your head off are you going to pick a fight?

Of course there's a price to the human part of the equation. You should have one of my nightmares. The one where the hits the fan...

But hey a bottle of vodka will lull me back to sleep...
                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

No. I'm a adherent to being strong makes the opfor think twice about attacking. If you know someone is going to blow your head off are you going to pick a fight?

Of course there's a price to the human part of the equation. You should have one of my nightmares. The one where the hits the fan...

But hey a bottle of vodka will lull me back to sleep...
                  Yeah, there's no doubt that a devastated world would be peaceful.
                  "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                  Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by drivin-fool View Post
                    I agree, we could come up with a better poll. Overall I just can't see the Constitution topping Big E.
                    Why not? The Big E was one of many of the class while the Constitution was one of few an the best war time history for the class

Comment

HMS Warspite.
                      Cymru am Byth

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post
                        HMS Warspite.
                        ...and so it starts...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post
                          HMS Warspite.
                          Wouldn't even come close in a match up with other historical ships, many with unknown names. It brought nothing new to the table.

Comment

If the question is "what is the greatest warship of all time" there can only be one answer.

USS Enterprise (CV 6)!

No ship in history did more damage to the enemy than the Big E.

http://www.cv6.org/

"Of the more than twenty major actions of the Pacific War, Enterprise engaged in all but two. Her planes and guns downed 911 enemy planes; her bombers sank 71 ships, and damaged or destroyed 192 more"

Can any other ship come close to the Big E's war record?
                            "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Panokseon class of Korea. Not has famousness has the turtle ship but 13 of them vs 300 and win with out a ship lost. That's a ship that needs some credit.
                              you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X