Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Type 45 destroyers engines don't work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Type 45 destroyers engines don't work.

The Navy's new Type 45 destroyers all suffer from major problems with their diesel engines and have frequent power outages.

Looks like someone forgot the basics when designing the ships.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35432341
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

"Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Perhaps they should just put holes in the side and fit sweeps (like the oil tanker in Waterworld)
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Well the MOD and the Government have to get rid of the taxpayers' money somehow! Probably means promotion and a gong for someone.

Comment

The early RN steam ships used to have masts and sails. Perhaps they should have waited another couple of centuries before completely giving up on sail?

Comment

Don't worry if they turn out to be a total flop you can at least refloat Victory and have something.
            "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Needless to say, this is not amusing.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                The Navy's new Type 45 destroyers all suffer from major problems with their diesel engines and have frequent power outages.

Looks like someone forgot the basics when designing the ships.

Problems with new classes of ship are hardly unusual; the US Navy San Antonio suffered from quite a few teething problems and the both new frigate classes, read LCS (someone finally figured out that they are frigates), have suffered from significant difficulties. I have had the privilege of seeing those ships up close on the high seas in the course of a couple of RAS events; they are impressive. I would not make too much of the issue as long as the engine manufacturer resolves the problem.
                Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                  Problems with new classes of ship are hardly unusual; the US Navy San Antonio suffered from quite a few teething problems and the both new frigate classes, read LCS (someone finally figured out that they are frigates), have suffered from significant difficulties. I have had the privilege of seeing those ships up close on the high seas in the course of a couple of RAS events; they are impressive. I would not make too much of the issue as long as the engine manufacturer resolves the problem.
                  Given that putting it right is going to require cutting huge holes in the ship to install extra generators and putting ships out of commission for some time its definitely something of an issue to make a lot of - its not like a vehicle recall and it aint just teething problems.
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                    Given that putting it right is going to require cutting huge holes in the ship to install extra generators and putting ships out of commission for some time its definitely something of an issue to make a lot of - its not like a vehicle recall and it aint just teething problems.
                    You are correct in stating that this is not a minor issue as it is a major yard issue and the ships will have to be dry-docked. However, having gone through quite a few yard periods since I first set foot aboard ship in 1987, please let me assure you that a competent shipyard can fix an issue such as this quite expeditiously. My greater concern are the replacement engines. Are reliable engines available? Has the engine manufacture convinced MoD that the reliability issue can be resolved to the satisfaction of all?
                    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post

LCS frigats? With that armament?
                      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Tonights BBC report did not mention engines at all.

It only reported that "generators" were any sort of a problem with the Type 45. And that it will cost "tens of millions" to fix it.

Who boobed?
                        My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                        GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                        Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Surface to Surface Missile Test For LCS Successful

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                          LCS frigats? With that armament?
                          Here you go; I also suspect that the mission module concept will probably be conveniently forgotten.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=90394

http://intercepts.defensenews.com/20...-modified-lcs/

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                            Tonights BBC report did not mention engines at all.

It only reported that "generators" were any sort of a problem with the Type 45. And that it will cost "tens of millions" to fix it.

Who boobed?
                            From the BBC

The Royal Navy's most modern warships are to be fitted with new engines because they keep breaking down.
                            In an email seen by the BBC, a serving Royal Navy officer wrote that "total electric failures are common" on its fleet of six £1bn Type 45 destroyers.
                            The Ministry of Defence said there were reliability issues with the propulsion system and work to fix it would be done to ensure "ships remain available".
                            One Royal Navy officer said the cost could reach tens of millions of pounds.
                            In a statement, the MoD told the BBC that to "address some reliability issues" it was considering options to "upgrade the ships' diesel generators to add greater resilience to the power and the propulsion system".

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                              'Propulsion system' i.e. engines.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X