Bittersweet Goodbyes: Last S-3 Viking leaves US Navy service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bittersweet Goodbyes: Last S-3 Viking leaves US Navy service

POINT MUGU, Calif. (NNS) -- After more than 40 years of service, the last S-3B Viking in U.S. Navy service launched one last time from the runway at Naval Base Ventura County, Point Mugu, Jan. 11.

Originally introduced in 1974 as a replacement for the S-2 Tracker, the Viking has ranged far from its anti-submarine warfare roots to perform various roles such as organic tanking, electronic intelligence, and carrier onboard delivery.
    http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=92682
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Landed on a carrier in the Med in one of those. Thunderstorm to make things interesting. 500 gal. LOX trailer a few inches from me to make things exciting.
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Does the Super Hornet pick up this mission too?
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

What did the Viking do anymore? If I remember correctly, they haven't been used for ASW for years.
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

ASW ain't what it used to be... I won't say more about that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
            Does the Super Hornet pick up this mission too?
            No the F-35 does. They've decided to add an ASW capable "D" version because they realized there was a mission it couldn't do yet. Its only expected to set the whole program back 4 years.
            "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

My brother-in-law flew the S-3. He has some cool stories to tell about ASW

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

They should keep the S-3 in a tanker role. It beats using a fighter like the Hornet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X