HMS Victory - Old Methods Better Than Modern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMS Victory - Old Methods Better Than Modern

Experts renovating Lord Nelson’s flagship HMS Victory have reverted to a 300-year-old technique to beat rotting - after modern materials failed.
    Hemp and pitch are again being used to fill the gaps between planks to stop rain water leaking into the heart of the historic ship and posing a threat to priceless fittings.
    Synthetic mastics were used for the job 15 years ago but they couldn’t cope with the expansion and contraction of the timber, causing water to get in and riddle the ship with rot.
    Nelson's ship gets £50 million facelift using a technique used by sailors on HMS Victory 300 years ago | Mail Online

Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

After the pigs ear they apparently made of the Cutty Sark, I'd hope restoration teams were extra vigilant with the Victory.
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Maybe the dockyards commercial arm could look at the right level of corporate/hospitality events held on board? Limit the use of this national treasure...Back in Nelsons day I'm sure company kick-off meetings were not high on the agenda!

I don't think that gentleman realizes that the HMS Victory isn't strictly a museum ship, but is a commissioned warship and the flagship of the First Sea Lord, currently Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope, GCB, OBE

Comment

I was on her in 2003. At that time she seemed to be in very good condition. However, almost 10 years can be a life time. Sorry to hear she needs repairs.
        ~BEST~

Comment

Great they are refitting HMS VICTORY . She was laid down in 1759
          laid up for 20+ years then served through the Napoleonic wars with 1
          3 year long refit . Since the mid 1820's she was duty ship in Portsmouth.
          In 1922 she was drydocked in #2 drydock HM Dockyard and serves as
          Flagship Home Command in addition to being a museum ship . She took her last battle damage in WW II when bomb fragments hit her.

"To all who serve , have or will serve , Thank You"

Comment

Keep the sailors away from the hemp! Actually both hemp and pitch are antiseptic and protect against rot, which is usually caused by a mold, a fungus.
            When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nº 8
            Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
            "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

Comment

Sorry to say that though the story of HMS Victory is interesting, I just had to have a look at Carol Vorderman....Mmmmm! yummy!

Paul
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
                After the pigs ear they apparently made of the Cutty Sark, I'd hope restoration teams were extra vigilant with the Victory.
                They made beer out of the Cutty Sark??? lcm1
                'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                  They made beer out of the Cutty Sark??? lcm1
                  Nah, the old beams and boards just started to ferment and drip whisky. Dockhands figured bottling the stuff was more profitable than stopping it.
                  Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
                  And sorry I could not travel both
                  And be one traveler, long I stood
                  Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
                  I took the one less traveled by,
                  And that has made all the difference.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X