P-51 Belly Landing Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-51 Belly Landing Video

The biggest structural problem with belly landing a Mustang is obviously the large air intake in the belly. This structure protrudes considerably lower then the hull itself, and is bound to be seriously damaged on impact because it acts as a plow tearing up the earth.

Last edited by MonsterZero; 11 Jun 10, 20:52.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

The plane woul likely be at greater risk of flipping over if it caught on a rock ,, I wonder how it would do ditching in water?

Comment

Originally posted by kuma View Post
      The plane woul likely be at greater risk of flipping over if it caught on a rock ,, I wonder how it would do ditching in water?
      The biggest problem with ditching a Spitfire in water was the very long, slim nose. This nose had a tendency to go under risking immediate sinking without giving the pilot a chance to dismount. The P-51, which had the same engine and a similar nose configuration, must have had similar tendencies. On the other hand, an airplane like the Hellcat would create an enormous splash but when the water settled it would float as long as it was intact. There are archival videos you can check out.
      Last edited by MonsterZero; 12 Jun 10, 00:58.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by kuma View Post
        If the scoop was in the forward part of the plane, then yes. In this case it is slightly to the rear and I would guess works as a great break.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          If the scoop was in the forward part of the plane, then yes. In this case it is slightly to the rear and I would guess works as a great break.
          And that's what the intake did.Slowed her down nicely.I hope they can repair the damage and get her back in the air.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
            The biggest problem with ditching a Spitfire in water was the very long, slim nose. This nose had a tendency to go under risking immediate sinking without giving the pilot a chance to dismount. The P-51, which had the same engine and a similar nose configuration, must have had similar tendencies. On the other hand, an airplane like the Hellcat would create an enormous splash but when the water settled it would float as long as it was intact. There are archival videos you can check out.

Normally the idea in a water/gear up landing is to keep the nose high/ tail low while at the same time bleeding off airspeed so that the a/c will settle into a almost flat landing attitude as it slows down...then feet do your stuff !....

Comment

P-51A with P-51D; not all P-51s behave the same, unfortunately.
              http://www.aero-tv.net/index.cfm?vid...b-6f3b0f149c4d

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X