• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia Downplays Chinese J-15 Fighter Capabilities

First the J-11 and now this. Robert

Russia Downplays Chinese J-15 Fighter Capabilities
    by Staff Writers
    Moscow, Russia (RIA Novosti) Jun 08, 2010
    China's J-15 carrier-based fighter will not be able to compete with Russia's Su-33 fighter on global markets because it is inferior to the Russian aircraft, a Russian military
    analyst said on Friday.

China since 2001 has been developing the J-15 naval fighter, which is believed to be a clone of Russia's Su-33 Falcon-D. China bought an Su-33 prototype earlier from Ukraine, and used it to develop the new aircraft.

The J-15 is expected to be stationed initially onboard the Chinese Varyag aircraft carrier currently being fitted in the port of Dalian. China bought the unfinished Admiral Kuznetsov class aircraft carrier from Ukraine in 1998.

"The Chinese J-15 clone is unlikely to achieve the same performance characteristics of the Russian Su-33 carrier-based fighter, and I do not rule out the possibility that China could return to negotiations with Russia on the purchase of a substantial batch of Su-33s," said Col. (Ret.) Igor Korotchenko, a member of the Defense Ministry's Public Council.'

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Russ...ities_999.html
    For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Chinese weaponry basically is cheap imitation of Russian stuff.
    "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
    --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Comment

yep. cheap. if they can make it reliable, cheap becomes a very good attraction, more bang for the buck.
      "We have no white flag."

Comment

Looks like that Russia should stop letting China get a hold of anything they don't want copied. Robert
        For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Comment

From what I have read the biggest stumbling block is the Chinese engines, apparently even the Chinese wont replace the current Russian engine in the J-10 for one of their own..... It seems they can only copy so much, the engine is not so easy.
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
          Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by JCFalkenbergIII View Post
            Looks like that Russia should stop letting China get a hold of anything they don't want copied. Robert
            The tech isn't leading edge as far as the Russians are concerned so if the Chinese are willing to place a big order, the Russians would probably be willing to sell them the original stuff.

Comment

..this ties in with that thread i saw on here a few weeks ago about pictures taken outside a Chinese factory of a apparent SU-33 covered in tarpulines...maybe this was the elusive SU-33 brought from Ukraine..???

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                From what I have read the biggest stumbling block is the Chinese engines, apparently even the Chinese wont replace the current Russian engine in the J-10 for one of their own..... It seems they can only copy so much, the engine is not so easy.
                If true, this just show how unlikely it is for the Chinese to develop anything resembling a F-22, F-35 or even a PAK-FA for that matter. Reports are that the Russians will need another 8-10 years to match the F119/F135 engines in the latest US jets so they've had to resort to using legacy engines for their PAK-FA. These are the same type of engines the Chinese seem tohave trouble reverse engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by kuma View Post
                  If true, this just show how unlikely it is for the Chinese to develop anything resembling a F-22, F-35 or even a PAK-FA for that matter. Reports are that the Russians will need another 8-10 years to match the F119/F135 engines in the latest US jets so they've had to resort to using legacy engines for their PAK-FA. These are the same type of engines the Chinese seem tohave trouble reverse engineering.
                  I think they have the resources to copy the Russian engines, but the quality controls to ensure the parts are all 100% have been the Achilles heel, if what I have read is true.
                  "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                  Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
                  Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
                    ..this ties in with that thread i saw on here a few weeks ago about pictures taken outside a Chinese factory of a apparent SU-33 covered in tarpulines...maybe this was the elusive SU-33 brought from Ukraine..???
                    That would be the Chinese J-11 I posted about. Robert

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=93146

Comment

Most likely a piece of Chinese garbage made by slave laborers in working conditions akin to an industrial-environmental disaster.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by JCFalkenbergIII View Post
                        That would be the Chinese J-11 I posted about. Robert

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=93146
                        ..yes, thats the one...!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                          Most likely a piece of Chinese garbage made by slave laborers in working conditions akin to an industrial-environmental disaster.
                          ..now now, ...dont underestimate them like that, it will come back to bit us all otherwise...

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
                            ..now now, ...dont underestimate them like that, it will come back to bit us all otherwise...
                            True it might. It brings to mind the views on Japanese pilots and aircraft before WWII. Robert

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X