No announcement yet.

Last He-177 variants produced/modified?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last He-177 variants produced/modified?

There are some suggestions that the He-177 A-5 was produced with a handful of examples (perhaps 8) before the war ended and that three A-7 variants were developed for delivery to Japan in 1944.

Also there are some claims around four engined variants being flown to Gardermoen near Oslo before the war ended for a proposed bombing raid on New York.

I have seen photos from a Czech website of bombed out He-277 aircraft in 1945.

The last mentioned claim would be a hollow one except that a few years ago an He-177 pilot came forward to describe how he had trained for the New York mission.

Has anybody got scraps of informations which could contribute to the He-177 story at the end of the war please?

It is well known that bomber production was ceased in April/May 1944. (correction July 1944)
    Last edited by Simon_G; 01 May 10, 01:53.
    My amatuer websites (still works in progress)

http://sites.google.com/site/junkersju390/home

http://sites.google.com/site/heinkel277/

https://sites.google.com/site/naziabomb/

Originally posted by Simon_G View Post
    There are some suggestions that the He-177 A-5 was produced with a handful of examples (perhaps 8) before the war ended and that three A-7 variants were developed for delivery to Japan in 1944.

Also there are some claims around four engined variants being flown to Gardermoen near Oslo before the war ended for a proposed bombing raid on New York.

The last mentioned claim would be a hollow one except that a few years ago an He-177 pilot came forward to describe how he had trained for the New York mission.

Has anybody got scraps of informations which could contribute to the He-177 story at the end of the war please?

It is well known that bomber production was ceased in April/May 1944.
    IIRC, the HE-277 bombers were built in a factory in France, that was over run by the Allies in 1944.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
      IIRC, the HE-277 bombers were built in a factory in France, that was over run by the Allies in 1944.
      Quite true JohnBryan however I have established the following aircraft were built and flown:

GA+QQ Heinkel He277 V9
      GA+QR Heinkel He277 V10
      GA+QM Heinkel He277 V26
      GA+QX Heinkel He277 V18
      GA+QQ Heinkel He277 V9

Suggesting that at least 26 examples were flying. It's maiden flight in France was in mid December 1943 allowing at least 6 months of production before RLM ordered a cease to bomber production in July 1944.

An underground Heinkel production facility was brought on stream in Austria in early 1944. The aircraft was upgraded to He-277B with adoption of 213-F Jumo engines giving a range of 4,500 miles. The He-277 had performance equivalent and in some aspects superior to the B-29. It had superior range and a service ceiling of 49,210 ft.

Only the Do-217P could fly higher (53,000ft)

Also in relation to the He-177 A-7 with pressurised cockpits there are photos of one sans wings at a factory in Czechoslovakia at the end of the war one of three so modified at the same plant near Prague. These three aircraft which the germans designated the He-177 A-7 were as follows:

KM+TN Heinkel He177 A-7 W.Nr.550038 W.Nr.550038 v37 KdE
      KM+TY Heinkel He177 A-7 W.Nr.550049 W.Nr.550049 v39 KdE
      KM+TL Heinkel He177 A-7 W.Nr.550036 W.Nr.550036 v103 KdE

Another interesting point which I have learned is that the japanese refer to the He-177 A-7 as being the He-277

Comment

Nice website, by the way!
        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

He 177 Greif

It is well known that bomber production was ceased in April/May 1944. (correction July 1944)
          He 177 Greif (An old post in answer to best aircraft)

In 1943 the He117 and sub-types were used for ant-convoy and in1944 attacks against England. Production was abandoned Oct 1944 after some 200 went into service.
          The He177 A-1, He177 A-3, He177 A-5, He177 A-7.
          The He177 was designed with two pair of engines grouped together driving a single airscrew a four engine bomber. It was to have three remotely controlled gun positions
          A -1 A-3 were similar. The A-5 had normal ailerons with Fowler flaps between ailerons and fuselage, A-7 had an increased wing span.
          Mechanical difficulties with twin-coupled engines, the He 177B was fitted with four separate engines. The Daimler-Benz 603- A engines were fitted. The He177B did not go passed prototype, as noted Germany in 1944 was imposable place to develop new aircraft / designs.
          Germany’s only war time heavy bomber He177…. He117 A-5 R2 As a heaver bomber it carpet bomb targets in Russia, also air lifted supplies to besieged forces near Stalingrad. Operational range was around 3500 miles (not a transcontinental range)

First aircraft to launch a air to surface anti-shipping missile. The bombardier used a FuG 203 transmitter that took the inputs from a joystick in the under nose gondola that directed the Hs 293 or FX 1400 missile. The missiles had flares in the tail to help the bombardier visually follow its flight.
          1944. 4 Staffel II Gruppe Kampfgeschwader 100.

“Attack with aggression, but always have a plan of retreat”

Comment

A German Bomber did make a flight across the Atlantic and came within 12 miles of New York, but never dropped a bomb.

I think they were waiting for a batter bomb, possibly a "dirty" bomb made from wastes from the A-bomb project.
            If you think you can only get away with it once, you might as well make it count.

Comment

The "He 177B" versus He 277 controversy

One fact that could have fostered the origin of the post-war aviation book storyline about the "He 177B"/He 277 controversy was that the RLM, in listing the He 177 development projects that they approved of the Heinkel firm doing work on as of February 1943 (six months after Goering's recorded engine complaint statements), only included the He 177 A-5 heavy bomber, A-6 high-altitude bomber, A-7 long-range version, and the "He 277"
              (He 277B-5)
              • Max Speed 570 km/h at 5,700 m (354 mph at 18,700 ft)
              • Cruise 460 km/h (286 mph)
              • Range 6,000 km (3,728 mi)
              • Service ceiling 15,000 m (49,210 ft)

Comment

Only three He-177 A-7 airframes were built near Prague one famously photographed being the V-38 airframe claimed to have had a bomb bay enlarged for carriage of an A-bomb.

Since all three were originally destined for Japan which was feverishly working on an atomic bomb with uranium shipped from France via U-boats in 1944, it is reasonably plausible that the Japanese wanted the A-7 for their nuclear bomber.

The Ju-390 aircraft which flew within sight of New York was intended to carry a pair of Me328s and later two large glide bombs. The Ju-390 LR bomber project was cancelled by RLM when tests determined that the wings were not strong enough for carrying the parasite bombs/aircraft in addition to the mission fuel.

A Junkers test pilot after the war produced diary notes of a Ju-390 mission to Cape Town and back in 1944 using air to air refuelling from a Ju-290.

Comment

I though it was the He 274 high altitude bomber that was built in France.

It first flew a short time after the Germans left and would've been a superlative bomber.
                  Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Long range flights by the Luftwaffe in 1944-45.

The Ju-390 aircraft which flew within sight of New York was intended to carry a pair of Me328s and later two large glide bombs. The Ju-390 LR bomber project was cancelled by RLM when tests determined that the wings were not strong enough for carrying the parasite bombs/aircraft in addition to the mission fuel.

A Junkers test pilot after the war produced diary notes of a Ju-390 mission to Cape Town and back in 1944 using air to air refuelling from a Ju-290.
                    Ju 390
                    Long range flights by the Luftwaffe in 1944-45.

The idea of a transatlantic New York Bomber was an intriguing one. Obviously more of a psychological tool of terror than a practical effort, a flight is said to have occurred but there is evidence for both sides to accept or dispute this claim. The Ju 390 was to hit New York City. The biggest problem was distance. Nevertheless, the 2 versions that were built made the 30 hour flight most definitely possible. Looking at the Ju 390 figures I believe that it’s not possible. The long range version had the number of built in fuel tanks reduced to four to install equipment for HS 293 glider bomb.

JANE’S fighting Aircraft of World War II
                    “Performance………..Four fuel tanks 6000 gallons = 4100 miles @ 217mph or six fuel tanks of 7500 gallons = 4700 miles @ 205 mph with limited payload. Without any reference to weather conditions, Paris to New York is 3700miles one way flight, making an 18 hour flight”.

A reported flight to Cape Town by a Ju 390 using in flight refuelling, Kg 200 made a long range flight from Marseilles to Algerian desert to set up a secret base and fuel depot with a captured B17.

The H8K Emily Flying Boat had one of the fully operational ranges of World War II with 4600miles.

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post

It first flew a short time after the Germans left and would've been a superlative bomber.
                      My apologies The Ace. I was confusing the He-274 with the He-277. You're quite correct.

The first flights of the He 177B prototypes occurred between late December 1943 and early January 1944 in the vicinity of the Vienna-Schwechat airfield, at Heinkel's southern production facility. He-277 NN+QQ W.Nr.535550 was the first prototype. GA+QQ former He177 A-08 W.Nr.23 became the second prototype with a split H tail fin. He-277 NE+OD was the third prototype.

Some He-277 in surviving photos had three bladed propellors and some had four bladed propellors.

The following aircraft were taken on charge by E-stelle Reichlin as He-277 models.

GA+QR Heinkel He277 V10
                      GA+QM Heinkel He277 V26
                      GA+QX Heinkel He277 V18

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post

Sorry for ignoring your question Ace. I was pretty clueless about the He-277 when i began this topic and during the course I have educated myself and begun writing a website about the aircraft.

Yes the He-274 was built in France by the Farhrman Brothers for Ernst Heinkel. In 1942 RLM opposed development in Germany because all the factory capacity in Germany was too committed so Heinkel persuaded the powers that be to permit development at Toulouse. At first it was known as the He-177 H and only became the He-274 in August 1943.

In May 1943 the He-177 H was redesignated as the He-177 A-8. In August 1943 it was redesignated as the He-277.

The He-274 had a wider wingspan and different undercarriage. This prevented quick tooling for mass production of the He-277 so the He-274 was abandoned. Later two He-274 were completed by the French and these flew well into the 1950s.

The He-277 B-5 adapted wings from the He-177 A-6/A-7. It also adopted the pressurised cabin and tail empennage of the He-274. These were applied in kitset form to convert former He-177 airframes. Thus the he-277 could be created quite quickly from old airframes.

The biggest drawback was delivery delays in the DB-603G engines. The He-277 B-6 was proposed to use the Jumo 213F engine, similar to the Jumo 213E engine used in the ultra high altitude Focke Wulf Ta-152 Dora. this version of the Dora was developed to counter proposals by the RAF to operate the B-29 over Germany. the high altitude Dora was test flown to around 48,600 feet on the edge of space.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X