Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STOVL F-35B JSF first hover - March 17

Looking good...

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

F-35B First Vertical Landing

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

..great work...has it dropped a single bomb or fired a single missile yet..????

Comment

Very nice, at least "progress" is still being made. Still, I would have loved to have been the test pilot who took that aircraft up.
        If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

"CRY,'HAVOC' AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR." ~Julius Caesar

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
          ..great work...has it dropped a single bomb or fired a single missile yet..????
          Don't think so. Progress has been painfully slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
            Don't think so. Progress has been painfully slow.
            Don't forget the F-35 is the most ambitious aviation project in history. They are designing (in reality) three different aircraft at the same time. So one should expect 3 times the delays and bugs. Well, perhaps 2.5 times since they have a common core.
            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

The USMC still expects to get their F-35Bs operational end 2012. That's something to look forward to.

Comment

but in what state? will they be fully opreational and able to be place in the marines OOB..?? or will they just be able to hover and not do much else. i think the time frame quoted is highly ambitious given the prevailing circumstances. They may only be assign to UMSC training units for the first few years of their operational lifes...

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
                  but in what state? will they be fully opreational and able to be place in the marines OOB..?? or will they just be able to hover and not do much else. i think the time frame quoted is highly ambitious given the prevailing circumstances. They may only be assign to UMSC training units for the first few years of their operational lifes...
                  If they follow standard US practice an OCU unit will be set up to create a feeder system for the rest of the fleet. Concurrent to the OCU their will be one or two squadrons stood up to receive the new aircraft. So initially a trials unit than an OCU than IOR squadron(s) then active fleet service.
                  Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                    If they follow standard US practice an OCU unit will be set up to create a feeder system for the rest of the fleet. Concurrent to the OCU their will be one or two squadrons stood up to receive the new aircraft. So initially a trials unit than an OCU than IOR squadron(s) then active fleet service.
                    ..thnaks mate, i figured as much.......

Comment

The Marines are the most in need of replacements for their classic Hornets and Harriers so the F-35Bs they'll be getting won't have a lot of the bells and whistles.. those features will be available later. But in its initial release, the jet will already constitute a major advance over legacy systems.

Comment

no doubt, and hopefully a big morale boost for the least provided service in the US....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                          Berlin.1945
                          by casanova
                          The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                          Yesterday, 23:41
                        • casanova
                          AW 169M
                          by casanova
                          The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                          Yesterday, 23:26
                        • JBark
                          What changed?
                          by JBark
                          There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                          Yesterday, 18:54
                        Working...
                        X