Top Five Fighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Five Fighters

What do you consider the top five currently serving fighter aircraft, strictly regarding their air-to-air combat abilities? You can decide for yourself how important attributes such as speed, range, armament, etc should factor into the equation. The F-22 would seem to be the obvious leader, but I wonder about how your other top four will appear.

I'll kick off with my current rankings and await education from other minds

1. F-22 Raptor
    2. Sukhoi Su-30 MKI
    3. Eurofighter Typhoon
    4. JAS 39 Gripen
    5. Dassault Rafale

1. F-22
    2. Typhoon
    3. SU-30MKI
    4, F-15SG
    5. Gripen
    Nos. 3 & 4 could easily swap rankings.
    Last edited by kuma; 15 Mar 10, 01:43.

Comment

It's all relative to where you live and what planes you need, IMHO... and what is value for money. I'll base my choices on where I live, Australia.

Personally I find the Gripen NG very flexible and versatile in what it can do and where it can go, not many modern fighters can land on less than 800m of any major road, refuel and re-arm in 10 mins and take off again. It doesn't have a greater range than those down the list but is more flexible in where it can land/take-off.
      I would then say the Eurofighter, and the Sukhoi Su-30MKI equal second. F-15K would be third, the Sukhoi Su-35BM forth and Super Hornet fifth.
      I just don't think the F-22 is worth the expense, tremendously expensive, doesn't have long range and doesn't carries enough variety of weapons payload to be considered a better investment than what I've already listed.

So in order...

1- Gripen NG
      2 - Eurofighter and Su-30MKI
      3 - F-15K
      4 - Su-35BM
      5 - Super Hornet.
      Last edited by Achtung Baby; 15 Mar 10, 02:54. Reason: left words out....
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
      Bukowski

Comment

1-F-22
        2-Typhoon
        3-Su-35
        4-F-15
        5-Gripen

Comment

Top Five Fighters

SAAB JAS 39 Gripen
          Eurofighter Typhoon
          SU 35
          Super Hornet
          Mig 29

Air combat you need to factor in pilot quality

“Attack with aggression, but always have a plan of retreat”

Comment

1. F-22 Raptor
            2. Eurofigher Typhoon
            3. Su-35 Super Flanker
            4. JAS-39 Gripen
            5. F-15SE
            "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

There are a couple of stories circulating out there that the Eurofighter Typhoon foursome gave a real hard time to a F-22 foursome during an air combat simulation exercise not too long ago. It seems that the British Typhoons pilots were using their internal electronics to their full advantage, which cause much grief to their opponents.

If I remember correctly I believe the source is "Air Forces Monthly"... If I can only find the exact reference!

I also remember reading something about French Rafale pilots flying against and giving a hard time to US Navy F/A-18 pilots during an exercise over the Med. I can't remember the reference though!!!!

Anyone else heard similar stories.

As for my choice of Top Five Fighters:

1. Eurofighter Typhoon
              2. SAAB Gripen
              3. F-15SG
              4. Dassault Rafale
              5. And I still think that the Mirage 2000 is one heck of a beautiful aircraft.
              Last edited by Capt AFB; 16 Mar 10, 15:45.

Comment

We've had a lot of these type of threads here,but I think this one is the toughest to answer.All of the aircraft listed are truly awesome machines.But I don't think that the old F-15Cs and F-16s should be counted out yet.These airframes offer top shelf performance.If updated,they will be world class,even after all these years.I think the F-15 may be the best fighter ever built.I recall a friendly fighter competition a couple of years ago between the US and India.The media reported that the US F-15 pilots had their asses kicked by Indian Sukhois.But in reality the US pilots flew with "their hands tied behind their backs".They weren't allowed to use the F-15s best assets.That's not a shot against the Indian pilots or their planes.Basically it was assumed that the whole purpose of the exercise was to sell the F-22.

And I also recall seeing articles describing F-22s being "killed" by F-16s and F-18s.

I can't answer the question of which fighters are the best.We can create these awesome machines,and then stick pilots of various capabilities into the cockpits.I guess we would need a world war to determine whose plane is the best.That's not a good way to settle an argument.

But I can say,I do love the Typhoon!
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post

And I still think that the Mirage 2000 is one heck of a beautiful aircraft.

Then you'll be happy to read about this wonderful exercise:

Dog-fight is a 'random' exercise: 'the F22 was not superior to the Rafale'... could also be said this way: "The Rafale is at the same level as the Raptor in dogfight." It is my professional opinion. To say this, I rely on the fact that during ATLC, a UAE Mirage 2000-9, which was piloted by a French pilot and that is still yet far less efficient than a Rafale, successfully gunned a F22 down during a dogfight ... The dog-fight is a 'random' exercise where the Rafale and the Raptor are both clearly on an equal ground.--
                  When I make a transit flight to my area of training or when I returned from this area on board my Rafale, I often use the 'free' time to practice shooting dummy/simulated missile on other military aircraft, also in transit. Among the possibilities offered by the weapon system Rafale, there is the one which involves firing a missile into an aircraft that scans my jet with his radar while mine remains turned off ... There was no confrontation Beyond Visual Range between Rafale and F22. However, it is clear that both Raptor pilots and Rafale pilots did trained to make such shots during transit flights during ATLC.
                  http://blog.francetv.fr/capitaine-ro...ex.php/tag/f22

Even better, a patch was created to mark the results of the exercise, but I've yet to find a transfereable image of it. It has the Raptor in crosshairs.

As such,

My favorite top five are:

1- Rafale
                  2- F-22 Raptor
                  3- Super Hornet
                  4- Gripen/Typhoon
                  5- Su-35 Flanker
                  You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Originally posted by asterix View Post

Even better, a patch was created to mark the results of the exercise, but I've yet to find a transfereable image of it. It has the Raptor in crosshairs.

Is this it?
                    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                    Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
                    Bukowski

Comment

How close were the 2 planes before the engagement was allowed to begin. Let's try this again with the Raptor being allowed to engage the enemy starting at 15 miles. We'll see if the F-22 even comes within gun range.

Oh, and my top 5:

F-15 E
                      F-16 Israeli Variant
                      F-22
                      Typhoon
                      SU-35

My top two are picked for their efficiency and longevity. Also the F-16 is one of the most widely exported planes in the world. Superplanes are nice, but in the real world you try to get the maximum multi-role boom for your buck.
                      Last edited by TacCovert4; 15 Mar 10, 23:11.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

In terms of raw performance data It's fairly easy to single out the best fighter planes that have the most impressive performance graphs on paper, but then you have to ask yourself a question.

If you give an Sukhoi Su-30 MKI into the hands of some 3rd world dudes from Africa, will it remain the same potent weapon in the hands of a 3rd world amateur? Those planes are being exported aggressively...
                        Last edited by MonsterZero; 16 Mar 10, 05:10.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

well, for me, .....its the F-22, then daylight.....

not worth mentioning the others, if we are strictly talking about air to air performance of current and in service fighter aircraft. This design has not even reached maturity yet , and while it will never be as good as it is claimed with so called 150-1 KLR, it is an aircraft that shifted the paradigm of what 5th gen fighter aircraft bring to the table. Just watch over the next 20 years to see how many of the revolutionary design features of this aircraft find themselves on Chinese, Russian and Eurpopean true 5th gen fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
                            well, for me, .....its the F-22, then daylight.....

not worth mentioning the others, if we are strictly talking about air to air performance of current and in service fighter aircraft. This design has not even reached maturity yet , and while it will never be as good as it is claimed with so called 150-1 KLR, it is an aircraft that shifted the paradigm of what 5th gen fighter aircraft bring to the table. Just watch over the next 20 years to see how many of the revolutionary design features of this aircraft find themselves on Chinese, Russian and Eurpopean true 5th gen fighters.
                            Indeed the Sukhoi T-50 looks eerily similar to the F-22.
                            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
                              Indeed the Sukhoi T-50 looks eerily similar to the F-22.
                              The PAK-FA has a long, long way to go. All we've seen so far is the airframe which is interesting. Reports are the intended new engines are 10 years away. The first version of its avionics still have to be finished and installed. The level of stealth is not yet known. IMO its a good first effort by the Russians and gets then into the stealth game. The thing to keep in mind is they're aiming at the Raptor but they're aiming at a moving target. The F-22 is also evolving with new, enhanced capabilities. What will it be like when the Russian bird becomes operational a decade from now. Very few reports I read express confidence in Russian claims of becoming IOC in 2015. It takes time to undertake a comprehensive development and testing program.
                              Last edited by kuma; 20 Mar 10, 04:44.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X