Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EO DAS - 5th generation Fighter warfare.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EO DAS - 5th generation Fighter warfare.

Wow.... this is for the F-35.

http://www.es.northropgrumman.com/so...odasvideo.html

All our enemies are hoping Obama will kill this too, but this is too good to let die quietly.
    Maybe our boys could stand a chance even when out-numbered ten to one.

See previous thread on this topic.
    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=77581

Comment

Given how much money the defense contractors have received and stand to receive, I would hope they put out good advertising.

Leaving aside all the questions of whether this is the "right" plane for all the jobs it is going to have (in terms of cost and capability), there are still lots of problems to solve. Here is the latest:

The F-35 Lightning II fighter jet program might breach the Nunn-McCurdy limits on unit cost growth, said U.S. Air Force Gen. Norton Schwartz, the service's chief of staff.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
        Given how much money the defense contractors have received and stand to receive, I would hope they put out good advertising.

Leaving aside all the questions of whether this is the "right" plane for all the jobs it is going to have (in terms of cost and capability), there are still lots of problems to solve. Here is the latest:
        I thought I had heard that is was going to be over the Nunn-Mcurdy limits and that was why the General was fired.

The Air Force may not care too much for this plane since they have the F-22, but Navy and Marines could really use a stealthy platform for their missions. I hope for their sake it keeps going. I just wish the Defense contractors would stop trying to milk the cow dry and put out a good product for fair money, and then we would not have talk about the program getting cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
          Wow.... this is for the F-35.

http://www.es.northropgrumman.com/so...odasvideo.html

All our enemies are hoping Obama will kill this too, but this is too good to let die quietly.
          Like the F-22 for example? Can you just start a post without right wing demagoguery? Any problems with the F-35 have been largely created by NG, that is why the Navy is seriously looking at pulling out of the program. If you are going to slam on the President, I recommend that you keep it in the political forums, and that you base it on fact, not fiction.

Gates Proposes Ending Lockheed F-22, Expediting F-35 (Update4 ...Apr 6, 2009 ... Defense Secretary [bn:PRSN=1] Robert Gates [] today offered a blueprint for reorienting US military purchases that calls for more to be ...
          www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid... - Similar -
          Gates Calls Arguments for More F-22 Fighter Jets 'Far-Fetched ...Jul 17, 2009 ... Defense Secretary [bn:PRSN=1] Robert Gates [] said backers of Lockheed Martin Corp. F-22 fighters are using “far- fetched” arguments in ...
          www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid... - Similar -
          FOXNews.com - Gates Calls for Cuts to High-Tech Weapons ProgramsApr 6, 2009 ... Defense Secretary Robert Gates announces a broad range of cuts to weapons ... He called for production of the F-22 jet to stop at 187 jets. ...
          http://www.foxnews.com/.../gates-cal...pons-programs/ - Cached -
          Gates: F-22 Has No Role in War on Terror | Danger Room | Wired.comThe Air Force's battle for more F-22s is not looking good. Defense Secretary Robert Gates was about as blunt as he could be in his assessment of the F-22 ...
          www.wired.com/dangerroom/2008/02/gates/ - Cached - Similar -
          Gates Down on the F-22 - TIMEFeb 7, 2008 ... The Secretary of Defense made clear to Congress that the number of F-22 fighters sought by the Air Force is excessive.
          http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...710944,00.html - Similar -
          Think Progress » Gates Announces End To Production Of F-22Apr 6, 2009 ... As a result of ending production of the F-22, Gates explained that he would increase production of more advanced aircraft: ...
          thinkprogress.org/2009/04/06/gates-ends-f22-production/ - Cached - Similar -
          Gates: F-22 Production Increase Could Hurt More Affordable JSF ...Gates: F-22 Production Increase Could Hurt More Affordable JSF from Defense Daily provided by Find Articles at BNET.
          findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_6712/is_25.../ai_n29414567/ - Cached - Similar -
          Gates proposes end to F-22 funding - UPI.comApr 6, 2009 ... The 2010 Pentagon budget proposal axes funding for the F-22 fighter jet -- costing about $140 million each -- US Defense Secretary Robert ...
          http://www.upi.com/Top.../Gates...F-...6861239044162/ - Cached - Similar -
          Secretary Gates and the F-​​22 Raptor | Defense TechThe decision by Secretary of Defense Robert Gates to halt the further production of the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor aircraft may be the most controversial ...
          defensetech.org › Polmar's Perspective - Cached -
          Gates: F-22 budget vote expected tonight | Stripes BlogsIn a Pentagon press conference on Monday afternoon, Sectretary Robert Gates said he expects a vote on the F-22 tonight. Specifically, the Senate is expected ...
          http://www.google.com/search?q=gates...x=&startPage=1
          Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
          Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Afghanisdan View Post
            I thought I had heard that is was going to be over the Nunn-Mcurdy limits and that was why the General was fired.

The Air Force may not care too much for this plane since they have the F-22, but Navy and Marines could really use a stealthy platform for their missions. I hope for their sake it keeps going. I just wish the Defense contractors would stop trying to milk the cow dry and put out a good product for fair money, and then we would not have talk about the program getting cut.
            There have been numerous problems with the F-35 Dan. As a Navy guy I know that the Navy has always leaned towards two engine aircraft, with good reason; Navy pilots fly over water and do not have 10,000 Ft runways to land on. Something that many people do not realize is that the F-16 was originally supposed to go to the Navy, but was reject because it is a single engine bird. We shall see what plays out though.
            Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Comment

Originally posted by bass_man86 View Post
              There have been numerous problems with the F-35 Dan. As a Navy guy I know that the Navy has always leaned towards two engine aircraft, with good reason; Navy pilots fly over water and do not have 10,000 Ft runways to land on. Something that many people do not realize is that the F-16 was originally supposed to go to the Navy, but was reject because it is a single engine bird. We shall see what plays out though.
              Mario,

I hear yah. We have had the recent tradition of wanting two engine air craft for good reasons, but we started off with single engine planes too. If we could have adapted the F-22 to land on a carrier, we should have. The F-35 is the only stealthy jet we will be able to get our hands on for a LONG while. I think NG knows that and is milking the cow because of it. I think we need the stealth more than the dual engines at this point though.

I know that our platform acquisition programs are JACKED UP!!!!! I wish we would investigate the leads and start putting people in jail for this kind of behavior. It borders on treason in my opinion. Too many high ranking retired officers are jumping over into the defense industry and getting paid, not for their experience and insight, but for their contacts. I know there are supposed to be ethics rules that make this OK after a certain period, but it still "smells" bad. The companies executives seem to be looking to pad their bank accounts and have long forgotten that the defense industry should be considered "a mission" and not a money making scheme. They have performed admirably in the past and I wish we could get back to this ideal.

This was all a bit off the original topic though, sorry for the tangent!

Comment

Like the F-22 for example?
                Yeah, they were cut in half.

Can you just start a post without right wing demagoguery? Any problems with the F-35 have been largely created by NG, that is why the Navy is seriously looking at pulling out of the program. If you are going to slam on the President, I recommend that you keep it in the political forums, and that you base it on fact, not fiction.
                We shall see, and it won't take long.

Comment

Now, my question is- does this exist yet, even in prototype form?

No, I know that the F-35 exists, in Prototype form, I mean this magical system that is being advertised. Even if it cuts down the number of aircraft in service by a third, it still seems like a worthy investment to make it happen.

And the F-35 itself seems like the right aircraft for te Navy and Marines. Aircraft Carriers that are 5 times the tonnage of WW2 carriers and carry the same # of aircraft... I think they need to start thinking of smaller, nimbler planes.

Comment

No, I know that the F-35 exists, in Prototype form, I mean this magical system that is being advertised. Even if it cuts down the number of aircraft in service by a third, it still seems like a worthy investment to make it happen. ...
                    I've seen something similar demonstrated on the Science Channel or one of those gee-wiz tech shows. They of course did not say where their funding came from. DARPA perhaps?
                    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Afganisdan,

What you don't hear much about on these type of Government contracts is when the government keeps going back to the company and changes the specifications and adds other forms of gold plating. By the time it gets to the Congressional Hearing, the Armed Forces duck out and blame the contractor.

I don't know enough about the F-35 to comment specifically, but I doubt the Brass in the Pentagon has changed any. Just the fact that an Air Force General was fired to me suggests many many contract revisions.

Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

No, I know that the F-35 exists, in Prototype form, I mean this magical system that is being advertised. Even if it cuts down the number of aircraft in service by a third, it still seems like a worthy investment to make it happen
                        Of course it exists. If it didn't, Why would they have included footage from it in the video? Use your brain for once.

Also Raytheon got a $13 million contract to make a version of this for helicopters:
                        http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...841/#more-5841
                        http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/tec...aa/highlight2/

And here's a video of it in use from a few years ago, The "bouncing" is probably caused by slight movements of the pilot's head or rotor vibrations.
                        http://www.raytheon.com/broadcast/adas_video.asx
                        (The video has a fair amount of raw footage, There isn't much "YEAH, DEFENSE INDUSTRY PROMO VIDEO! CGI ANIMATIONS!" in it.)

Comment

Remind me how big the Iranian airforce is again?
                          My board games blog: The Brass Castle

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            Afganisdan,

What you don't hear much about on these type of Government contracts is when the government keeps going back to the company and changes the specifications and adds other forms of gold plating. By the time it gets to the Congressional Hearing, the Armed Forces duck out and blame the contractor.

I don't know enough about the F-35 to comment specifically, but I doubt the Brass in the Pentagon has changed any. Just the fact that an Air Force General was fired to me suggests many many contract revisions.

Pruitt
                            Exactly P; there were many issues in the termination of the F-22 program as well. I will just say that the former SecAF that tendered his resignation just recently got into trouble for more than just that issue of mishandling of nuclear weapons. In a nutshell, the SecAF got bent over a table for cutting people and systems to keep the F-22.

Comment

Originally posted by The Land View Post
                              Remind me how big the Iranian airforce is again?
                              You can look up the numbers yourself, but in short, It's kinda weak but could cause damage to the other regional powers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X