X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The RAF and its Approach to Science in The Interwar Period

Hi

Hope this is of interest.

Abstract: This article considers the scientific resources available to the RAF in the interwar period, and how it used those resources to address one of its most pressing problems, namely the need to improve early warning of attacks against the UK. Ways of addressing the problem of early warning and its ultimate solution through the development of radar are used as a case study to look at whether this technology could have been developed earlier by the RAF.

Scroll down to Page 124 for the article

https://www.raf.mod.uk/what-we-do/ce...1/vol-22-no-3/

Regards

Andy H
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

In the interwar period, the whole early-warning radar system development operated on a shoestring budget and it is truly amazing that the British got what was a viable and highly useful system out of the mediocrity of technology they were using. I suppose in a way, that lack of top shelf technology forced on the RAF and Britain, a certain amount of alternatives that used people and human intellect to its most effective ends.

Certainly, Germany with far superior radar designs in Freya and Würtzburg when the war started did little or nothing with these sets in terms of usable systems. They were for Germany almost an afterthought.

One might say that Britain made chicken soup with chicken $h!+.

Comment

Funny guys in tweed caps working in their garden sheds pretty much defines British ingenuity. And it was very effective.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X