Squadron, Flight, Element?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squadron, Flight, Element?

TWhat is the best universal term for describing a pair of aircraft? I am looking for a generic term to use across nations for a tactical ground war game that will have aircraft in ground support. The aircraft unit will be a pair of aircraft of a given type.

A "flight" I think ?

A "wing" is divided in "squadrons", a squadron in "flights" usually named after the commander or by some codename.

Of course just two planes isn't really a military formation, still I would call it a "flight x" belonging to "squadron y"
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
      A "flight" I think ?

A "wing" is divided in "squadrons", a squadron in "flights" usually named after the commander or by some codename.

Of course just two planes isn't really a military formation, still I would call it a "flight x" belonging to "squadron y"
      I think you are more or less correct but I think that a flight is normally at least four aircraft as I've seen references to half flights which logically would mean that a flight has to be at least divisible by two with a result greater than one. I suspect that two aircraft may be a section
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

My assumption is that it would be better to model a pair of aircraft in ground support than either single or four.

Comment

Certainly modern planes (can) operate in pairs for CAS missions, it's just that the pair of them wouldn't be a complete "unit", but just two planes of a larger unit.

Shouldn't keep you from modelling them as such in a game, you can always "stack" them to make the full unit if needed.
          High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
          Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Many 'air forces' operate on the basis of an "element", which is a pair of aircraft: a leader and a wingman.

Usually 2 or 3 elements make a flight.

Squadrons usually number from about 12-18, depending on nation/military and time frame/period.

Though this board game is nearly thirty years old, it still is a classic and covers basics of aircraft operations. Nominally the F/A-18 squadron is composed of 12 aircraft and about 15 pilots. Each pilot has a card to represent them that gives their rating for initiative, aggression, air-to-air and air-to-ground skill, etc. Along with a map-board for movement of aircraft in the mission zone, it also allows for a display for each aircraft to show its ordnance load, condition, etc. There is also a missions deck, conditions deck, and random events deck, so it's rare any one mission will play the same. It's recommend that one form up the "flight" for a mission in elements/pairs, and recommended mission strengths range from 2 to 12 aircraft. You can use more than recommended number for a point/score penalty, or less than recommended for a point bonus.

This is a solitaire game and one plays a campaign of several missions, operating in different parts of the world. Pilot fatigue or "shatter" is a factor to consider, so usually you will rotate aircraft and aircrews for different missions and try to avoid using plane/pilot combos on back to back missions.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6927/hornet-leader

In web-searching, I noticed there is a PC version, which I may have to consider getting;
            http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...rnet.Leader.PC

BTW, usually two or more(3-4) squadrons will form a Group

A number of Groups will form a Wing.

A number of Wings will form an 'Air Force' (Such as USAAF Eight Air Force).
            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X