X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-104 flying again.... at Leeuwarden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzzJ...&feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3h01N5l0AU

This was today, monday june 11th 2018 at Leeuwarden Air Base.
    Last time I heard a 104 was back in 1984, and this is exactly how I remembered it.
    I LOVE that sound. This is so awesome.
    I will regret for years not having been there when it arrived. Pretty sure I will be there when it leaves.

It is, of course, the Norwegian CF-104D.
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Originally posted by Rutger View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzzJ...&feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3h01N5l0AU

This was today, monday june 11th 2018 at Leeuwarden Air Base.
    Last time I heard a 104 was back in 1984, and this is exactly how I remembered it.
    I LOVE that sound. This is so awesome.
    I will regret for years not having been there when it arrived. Pretty sure I will be there when it leaves.

It is, of course, the Norwegian CF-104D.
    Spent 9 years on the CF104 as a mechanic and got 45 hrs back seat in a "dual"...…...nothing like screaming across the country side at 50 ft or doing a "bomb toss" with a simulated nuke...…..was never scared at that speed...if the guy up front screwed up we would be "gone" before we knew it...…..Lots of tales with our (RCAF) sqds…...fly safe lads..

Comment

Are they using those operationally? Or is this just demonstration?

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
        Are they using those operationally? Or is this just demonstration?
        Nope, restored as a private venture, "Keep 'm flying", that sort of thing.
        I think it took them like ten or fifteen years to get it back to flying status.
        "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Good place for some reference material. Start with the informative and extensive Wiki page;
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhe...04_Starfighter
          Which has a link to this list of survivors;
          List of surviving Lockheed F-104 Starfighters
          Canadair CF-104 Starfighter
          Lockheed NF-104A
          Aeritalia F-104S

And here's an interesting article on those used by NASA
          http://www.916-starfighter.de/F-104_NASA.htm
          Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
          TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
          Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

One of the neatest things about a Starfighter is how it sounds. All that howling and screaming (due to the engineers at the time not knowing how to prevent that and being focused on performance instead) makes it all the neater to watch in flight.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              One of the neatest things about a Starfighter is how it sounds. All that howling and screaming (due to the engineers at the time not knowing how to prevent that and being focused on performance instead) makes it all the neater to watch in flight.
              I agree. I always liked the looks of the F104 when I was a kid in the 60s but when I heard one at an airshow in the 80s, it blew me away.

Comment

This guy has been doing videos for years, and they have had several J79s in their shop... this video is one of the better ones is showing how violent the noise and vibration can be emanating from the engine and afterburner.

"In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                Ernest Hemingway.
                “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

Comment

When I was in RCAF Cold Lake we chained our a/c down when we did FULL AFTERBURNER tests and I did have some beautiful photos of AB runs at night,,,,sorry they got lost in one of my moves...….. We took the tail section off during ground runs as it was liable to melt due to lack of airflow and the back end would glow red hot....the noise and vibrations where unbelievable....we had a couple of cases of mini heart attacks and the medics put it down to the vibrations...I know myself having gut cramps while laying under and engine on run up doing adjustments on the hydraulic pumps. When we did our runups I think every dog within twenty miles was howling......later on in the programme in Europe we had special run up mufflers that included a water tank.sound abatement system...…..ah!! those were the days...
                  Last edited by Bow; 14 Jun 18, 10:10. Reason: PS.......Once the 104s were put out to pasture a lot of the J79 ended up in the Canadian oil pipe line system for pumping oil.

Comment

I’m glad I read your edit Bow, because the video I put up is a shop in Canada that refurbishes jet engines.
                    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                    Ernest Hemingway.
                    “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for posting!
                      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

OK who left the Vacuum Cleaner on?

Comment

Fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                          X