Star Wars lives on for RAF pilots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars lives on for RAF pilots

RAF pilots flying the next generation of jet fighters will wear Star Wars-style helmets, defence chiefs have revealed.

The helmet being developed for the F35 Joint Strike Fighter will display navigation and targeting information inside the visor. Traditional jets, such as the Harrier, have a "head-up" display.

The helmet-mounted display is reminiscent of the equipment used by Luke Skywalker, the hero of the 1977 film Star Wars.

A spokesman said: "The computerised symbology will be displayed directly on to the pilot's visors, providing the pilot with cues for flying, navigating and fighting the aircraft.

"It will superimpose infra-red imagery on to the visor to allow the pilot to look through the cockpit floor at night and see the world below."
    Nice

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...defence210.xml
    Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Someone posted a photo of it elsewhere on here, it looks more like a TIE fighters helmet than anything else.

Of course the key point are the words "Flying", "JSF" and in "RAF service".
    Winnie says
    ---------------------------------
    "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
    Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
      Someone posted a photo of it elsewhere on here, it looks more like a TIE fighters helmet than anything else.

Of course the key point are the words "Flying", "JSF" and in "RAF service".
      welcome to our world , mate!

Comment

Close up:

System online:

Now if only they could combine it with the masks used by the Blackhawk door gunners...

Comment

Will they also get a hologram of Obi-Wan Kenobi that will appear in the cockpit to motivate them in combat?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
            Will they also get a hologram of Obi-Wan Kenobi that will appear in the cockpit to motivate them in combat?
            You mean Kathy West in an Obi-wan outfit?
            Winnie says
            ---------------------------------
            "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
            Herr Flick.

Comment

My god, that looks even more sick than the Star wars helmets...ME WANT, BAD,..NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Very interesting invention indeed, just remember to dust of the cobwebs when the plane finally arrives in Australia!!!
                "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                Mark Twain.

Comment

Should i direct you to the " Australias next fighter " thread, sir? Oh...you already know about it, dont you.!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X