USAF planners want irregular warfare wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USAF planners want irregular warfare wing

This should make some of the folks on this forum happy...

US Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) planners have called for the stand-up of a new "irregular warfare" wing dedicated to fighting insurgents and terrorists with an aircraft fleet numbering 44 airlifters, 20 helicopters and 20 turboprop strike fighters.

The irregular warfare wing concept seeks to introduce the first dedicated strike aircraft for fighting insurgent forces since the Douglas A-1 Skyraider in the Vietnam war.

"One possible candidate for the light strike role is the air-to-ground modified [Beechcraft] AT-6B. Other candidate aircraft include the [Embraer] Tucano or Super Tucano," the AFSOC paper states. The authors add that a Cessna Caravan "might be useful as a light mobility, strike, or intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft depending on its configuration".

Perhaps more important than the light strike component, the new wing should operate four Lockheed Martin C-130s in a "heavy mobility" role, as well as 20 medium lift and 20 light mobility aircraft. The latter can be comprised of Cessnas or EADS Casa C-212s, while the former might be the Alenia Aeronautica C-27J Spartan Joint Cargo Aircraft.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...fare-wing.html
    I dig the Super Tucano...

Cessna Caravan

CASA C-212

C-27J
    Last edited by sickpup; 29 Jul 07, 13:22. Reason: Spelled irregular incorrectly
    Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

interesting wing ,there is lots of other prop or even jets that could fill the gap as a sandy successor ..
    owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
    (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

WOW, a wing that well actually see the ground when they drop their bombs. Revolutionary

HP
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Will this wing be paid for by Air Force funds, or will Special Operations be paying for its "own" Air Force? Reminds me of when the AF offered the Army its own Tactical aircraft, without the funds to run them. When we getting the funding straight, THEN we talk about aircraft!

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Any attack helicpoters?

SuperCobra?
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
          Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by achtung baby View Post
            Any attack helicpoters?

SuperCobra?

I like the Lynx!!

Though probably not much use in the counter-insurgency role.
            Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
              I like the Lynx!!

Though probably not much use in the counter-insurgency role.
              Normal Lynx, or Super Lynx? I saw a mock up fitted with a pair of 30mm's and 8 Hellfires . Then the WAH-64 took the gunship slot. Although the Lynx MK10 is to be procured as a light utility.
              Winnie says
              ---------------------------------
              "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
              Herr Flick.

Comment

I would imagine they would get similar helicopters as before, maybe the "Little Bird". They are also pushing that new scout helicopter now.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

For some strange reason, I immediately think of ... Air America!

Last edited by Ogukuo72; 30 Jul 07, 09:04.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas.tmcc View Post
                    interesting wing ,there is lots of other prop or even jets that could fill the gap as a sandy successor ..
                    Bring back the Bronco! Where do I sign the petition?

"The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by Pergite View Post

That was a good platform for sure.

There is this baby too. Florida is an important state. One must never discount politics.

Link
                      As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                      Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr View Post
                        That was a good platform for sure.

There is this baby too. Florida is an important state. One must never discount politics.

Link
                        I like the Super Tucano but I have a soft spot for this Cavalier Mustang too. IIRC they only stopped building them in the '80s (?)
                        The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                        Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
                          I like the Super Tucano but I have a soft spot for this Cavalier Mustang too. IIRC they only stopped building them in the '80s (?)
                          The pictured airplane is a one of a kind built per a congressionally mandated study. The Air Force had no intentions of buying it.

For my money digging out the plans for a Mustang/P-47/ or the A1 are the best options. Newer modernized powerplant with some new targeting systems and navigation equipment and you've got a warhorse with a good combat load and range, even with new extra equipment the weapons load/range should be the same because of the weight savings from modern metals/materials and construction techniques.

Pretty much what Piper did.
                          As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                          Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Pergite View Post

Looks like a horrible plane to get out of in a hurry!!
                            Wolster

Comment

OV-10 Bronco

It was developed in the 1960s as a special aircraft for COIN (counter insurgency) combat. Although it is a fixed-wing aircraft, its mission capabilities resemble a fast, long-range, inexpensive and reliable ultra-heavy attack helicopter. It flies at 350 mph (560 km/h), carries three tons of external munitions, and easily loiters for three or more hours. It is prized for its versatility, redundancy, load, wide field of view, short-field ability, low operational costs and ease of maintenance. In most cases, it flies acceptably on a single engine.

"In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                              Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                              Mark Twain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X