Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Last of the Lynx

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last of the Lynx

The British Army is decommissioning the Lynx helicopter after 40 years service. Four are doing a round the country flypast tour. They've picked a lousy day for it with very gusty conditions, rain and low cloud. According to the itinerary they should be passing over my area about now but I doubt I'll see them which is shame.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42663383
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

They've picked a lousy day for it with very gusty conditions, rain and low cloud.
    I suppose just the sort of weather they are used to?
    But as they are keeping the Wildcat, it does rather remain in service in a more modern configuration
    History is not tragedy; to understand historical reality, it is sometimes better to not know the end of the story.

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

I wonder if the British Army ever thought of using the Lynx as A scout helicopter to work alongside the Apache?

Comment

Did you end up getting to see them?
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

I wonder if the British Army ever thought of using the Lynx as A scout helicopter to work alongside the Apache?
          Slightly differing time-frames; Gazelle was scout, Lynx was multi-role including anti-armour and some scouty-ness. When Apache entered service the Lynx became more multi-role but less scout.

So current the AAC is now Apache plus UAV for this kind of operation, with UAV control being transferred to Apche in future planning.
          History is not tragedy; to understand historical reality, it is sometimes better to not know the end of the story.

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

Video of the flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmnypn63PkQ

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

What is replacing it, is it going to be British made? Better than the UH-60M?
                The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by Frtigern View Post
                  What is replacing it, is it going to be British made? Better than the UH-60M?
                  The Westland AW159 Wildcat it's an improved Lynx 34 of them.

Comment

Westland
                    AgustaWestland these days

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

Been reading about the Falklands with HMS Endurance and its Lynx helicopters. Might have to pickup this book someday.

The Royal Navy Lynx: An Operational History
                      by Larry Jeram-Croft

This book tells the story of an incredibly capable naval aircraft, based primarily on the words of those who flew and maintained it. Beginning with the Lynx's entry into service in 1976, it goes on to discuss its remarkable performance in the Falklands War. Here it was used in both its primary roles of anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare, as well as several others for which it had never been designed, such as Airborne Early Warning and anti-Exocet missile counter measures. The Lynx has been continuously employed in the Gulf from 1980 until the present day. What is not generally known is the fact that these aircraft were responsible for effectively destroying the Iraqi navy, sinking over fifteen warships in a matter of a weeks. All related operational details are included here. Also included are accounts of operations conducted around the world, including anti-drug interdiction, Arctic deployments, Search and Rescue, hurricane relief, as well as a few notable mishaps. Also described is the development of the aircraft from the Mark 2 to the current Mark 8 (SRU), bringing the narrative fully up to date.Although only a snapshot, the stories narrated here offer the reader a real understanding of the capabilities of an aircraft with a truly remarkable history of service.
                      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Navy-.../dp/1473862515

Comment

Oops the HMS Endurance had Wasp helicopters on board during the Falklands conflict. Didn't carry the Lynx until 1987.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                          Slightly differing time-frames; Gazelle was scout, Lynx was multi-role including anti-armour and some scouty-ness. When Apache entered service the Lynx became more multi-role but less scout.

So current the AAC is now Apache plus UAV for this kind of operation, with UAV control being transferred to Apche in future planning.
                          Interesting. So the UAV operator will sit in the Apache rather than be ground based? What it is the rationale behind that?
                          Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

Originally posted by Escape2Victory View Post
                            Interesting. So the UAV operator will sit in the Apache rather than be ground based? What it is the rationale behind that?
                            The UAV is controlled on the ground but now an AH-64E can take control of a UAV and scout where they want it too and fire it's weapons.

Comment

The UAV is controlled on the ground but now an AH-64E can take control of a UAV and scout where they want it too and fire it's weapons.
                              Yes, as with many MALE and above, the circuit can be locally ground-controlled but operations sit with someone else.

It offers another asset for the aircraft, one that extends sensor range but is less valuable and so can be sacrificed if the operating environment appears too hostile for the manned platform. More ambitious plans include a similar set-up for fighters and even the use of de-manned [older fighters] acting as 'loyal wingmen' to a manned aircraft.

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X