Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know. Please only send real issues not things like I hate the colors of the site or the site looks cheap now. I am trying to get as many issues fixed for you as i can and If i have to read through stuff like that it's going to take me longer to get stuff fixed.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Northrop's B-21 bomber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northrop's B-21 bomber

Not sure if there is a thread on this already, so here goes ...
    A top secret desert assembly plant starts ramping up to build Northrop's B-21 bomber

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...htmlstory.html
    Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Interesting. I hope they get this one right.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Sixty years of trying, and the BUFF still reigns supreme...

Comment

The plant doesn't appear to be very "top secret" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
          They're doing another quantum leap forward. Given the development time, I would say the odds are against them, but we can hope.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
            The plant doesn't appear to be very "top secret" to me.
            Seems the "top secret" part is getting a job there, getting inside, and knowing about what is done inside.
            Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

Pruitt
              From the text of the linked article, it sounds like better planning for ungrade and improvements to be made to the "basic" design as tech advances.

The B-2 is a design of the @1980s and didn't reflect the rapid growth of IT and electronics that would occurr in the decades following.

Comment

The B-52 was designed in the late 40's and the Air Force still uses them. What made the design so good was there was lots of room inside to upgrade/replace equipment and it could do many things. Most of the Bombers since then that could fly faster are long gone. The radar signature is considered huge by today's standards as well.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The B-52 was designed in the late 40's and the Air Force still uses them. What made the design so good was there was lots of room inside to upgrade/replace equipment and it could do many things. Most of the Bombers since then that could fly faster are long gone. The radar signature is considered huge by today's standards as well.

Pruitt
                  The BUFF/B-52 may well go down in history as one of the most usable~effective~cost-effictive "bang for buck$" aircraft designs given it's late design of the 1940-50s era and use 70-80 years later into the 21st century!

Now into the 21st century, seems to me, that the USAF needs an upgraded Dual Bomber Capability, which would revolve around two divergent aircraft designs:

1) NEW "Bomb Truck" ~ The BUFF/B-52 has served for 70+ years and may do so for another decade or two. In the "Meantime" the USAF needs a newer, less worn-out airframe and should look towards a modification/upgrade of existing design commercial/freight carrier designs to provide a "bomb truck" with long range/loiter-time capability as well as large~20+x 500 pound bomb load capability. "Arc Strike" remains as much a viable morale~resistance breaker device now as it did near two decades ago in "Operation Freedom" against Iraq/SH as in current "GWOT" efforts. 7x7 airframes come ready to mind for "nex gen.".

2) Special Mission/Deep Penetration Platform. Continues goal sought with B-1, B-2 designs where payload sacrifices for range to "get-through" more hostile anti-air environments for special missions and/or nuke triad back-up. Here a dedicated "deep-strike" bomber has appeal, providng a flux between tactical/operation use in conventional warfare along with ability to sustain Strategic~Nuke abilities. This is where the next-gen B-21 plays, but we still need to look for a "lower level conflict" "bomb truck" replacement for the BUFF/B-52. That "dog" is long in the leg and about to be "worn-out".

IMO!
                  Last edited by G David Bock; 14 Nov 17, 19:08.

Comment

Pruitt
                    The one that comes to mind...the B-58 Hustler.
                    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

One thing that needs to be looked as far as the weapons to be carried on the B-21 is a small airborne laser to be carried inside the bomb bay. This would be very useful against missiles while they're in their silos or on their launch vehicles.

Comment

One thing that needs to be looked as far as the weapons to be carried on the B-21 is a small airborne laser to be carried inside the bomb bay. This would be very useful against missiles while they're in their silos or on their launch vehicles.
                        DIRCM is already in service on helicopters. It needs to be on the fuselage, not the bomb-bay, or its FoV will be too small.

They may be considering this, but if your strategic bomber is under fire from IR missiles you are already in very deep trouble.
                        History is not tragedy; to understand historical reality, it is sometimes better to not know the end of the story.

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                          The one that comes to mind...the B-58 Hustler.
                          The B-58 was replaced by another aircraft that is no longer in use, the FB-111.

Comment

Isn't there plans for the B-52 replacement to come on line sometime in the late 2030s? With the inevitable delays, I wouldn't bet against the B-52 out living the B-21 as well!

Comment

Strange...the photo is of the B-2, but is captioned as the B-21. BTW, that number would be way out of sequence.

Comparison here: https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=28&ajaxhist=0
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Working...
                              X