X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another Tu-95 crash & burn

Not the one in the far east, this was in the Crimea a few months ago-
    http://theaviationist.com/2016/01/21...deo-explosion/

Its a night vid, so its spectacular but hard to make out what happened.

Why aren't these ancient aircraft being retired? Its only going to keep getting worse.

Well, if anything, those Russian jalopies sure do blow up really cool.
    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

While the core design is from the mid-50s, the ones in use were built in the late 80s.

There's older aircraft still in use.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
        Not the one in the far east, this was in the Crimea a few months ago-
        http://theaviationist.com/2016/01/21...deo-explosion/

Its a night vid, so its spectacular but hard to make out what happened.

Why aren't these ancient aircraft being retired? Its only going to keep getting worse.
        Link doedsn't work for me.
        I guess the simple answer is money. Despite Putin's bluster the Russians aren't exactly flush with cash especially with a recession and plummeting oil prices. If they can manage with an old type I think they will.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

A bit ago there was some sort of mix up off the coast. From the sounds of it somebody got flamed. (The sound of a plane disintegrating, sonic booms, ect...)

I looked for reports on it and got nothing. But I did distinctly hear a bang and what sounded like a prop spanging off. A odd whirring sound. Now our guys and gals do a lot of testing out here but I can tell the difference between sonic booms and sounds of a different sort...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            A bit ago there was some sort of mix up off the coast. From the sounds of it somebody got flamed. (The sound of a plane disintegrating, sonic booms, ect...)

I looked for reports on it and got nothing. But I did distinctly hear a bang and what sounded like a prop spanging off. A odd whirring sound. Now our guys and gals do a lot of testing out here but I can tell the difference between sonic booms and sounds of a different sort...
            Could have been a compressor wheel on a gas turbine disintegrating and the blades coming out through the housing.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X