A Quick (And Simple) Look At RCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Quick (And Simple) Look At RCS

As part of an F-35 discussion on another site I posted these charts from a briefing I did a few years ago. I decided to post them here since the subject of low signature comes up here occasionally. The bottom line is a single RCS value is meaningless and stealth does NOT make you invisible to all radar frequencies. This is not new! We knew this when we were developing the F-117, but that aircraft was still very effective in Desert Storm where the Iraqi air defense system included low frequency radars. Low signature is only one element in aircraft survivability as is the use of ECM in conjunction with low aircraft signature.

Nice, but now you have to follow up with a brief on AD radars.
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

There's stealth and then there's frying the radar sets with jamming. Take your pick. I'm with the fry mode.
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
        Nice, but now you have to follow up with a brief on AD radars.
        Here you are:

Comment

Bravo; I suggest everyone also reads Carlo Kopp on why everything Chinese / Russian is awesomes...
          History is not tragedy; to understand historical reality, it is sometimes better to not know the end of the story.

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

Originally posted by PitchRate View Post
            Here you are: ...
            A few years back, we were discussing adding a more realistic air defense and ground attack models to our pet war game. In the end we decided it would have created a game within a game, too many tasks, too much time and player attention required.

Comment

To have a simulation that reflects “reality” you need to spend many, many, millions of dollars and have loads of classified databases to simulate the various threats. Then you include manned cockpits as well as manned threat stations to look at the human interactions. Then add the military space infrastructure and integrate the best ECM data you can get and you get close. Simulations get pretty complicated at this level.

Boeing Virtual Warfare Center

The three-story, 70,000-square-foot center was designed to conduct complex military mission simulations in a collaborative, network-centric environment. Operators—including commanders, warfighters, and software and systems analysts—rely on the center to test and challenge new technologies, tactics and human behavior via real-time scenarios. From the collected data and intelligence, they can better understand and prepare for live operations—and make more cost-effective business decisions before committing dollars and resources.

"When our customers think about the various levels of warfare, they need a place to plot strategies, integrate intelligence and implement commanders' intent," said Gary Pendleton, Boeing Virtual Warfare Center new programs manager. "They also need to see how systems, such as the F-15 or F/A-18, work in a network-centric environment in the real world."
              LINK

Comment

The game was retailing for $25. And most of us were just volunteer testers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                  Bravo; I suggest everyone also reads Carlo Kopp on why everything Chinese / Russian is awesomes...
                  I see Air Power Australia hasn't been updated since Jan' 2014... I guess Dr Carlo Kopp finally realised Australia won't get the F-22.
                  "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                  Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X