Lockheed might restart F-22 production line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockheed might restart F-22 production line

We have to look at it like buying a car, we are on a limited budget and we have to go with a cheaper model. We have to give our military the best we can afford but we also have to remember that we only have so much money and we need to go with a more established, proven eqpt.

Do you agree? Or are there other options?

Lockheed would support restarting F-22 production line if Romney wins election
    By: Dave Majumdar Washington DC
    06:37 12 Sep 2012
    Source:

Lockheed Martin would support restarting the F-22 Raptor production line if Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney were to be elected and followed through with a pledge to buy more of the stealthy fifth-generation fighters.
    "Lockheed Martin will support the US government should the decision be made that more F-22 Raptors are needed to defend our nation and our allies," the company says.
    Earlier in the week, Romney had told a Virginia television station that he not only opposed the Congressional sequestration budget cutting maneuver set to go into effect on 2 January, but that he would increase the size of the US military.
    "I would also add F-22s to our air force fleet," Romney says.
    The so-called sequestration maneuver would cut the defence budget by a further $500 billion over the next ten years.

©USAF

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/lockheed-would-support-restarting-f-22-production-line-if-romney-wins-election-376428/
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

The Raptor is a truly awe inspiring aircraft but the fact is we can't afford to procure more. Until the U.S. gov't gets its fiscal act together we have no choice but cut military spending.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
      The Raptor is a truly awe inspiring aircraft but the fact is we can't afford to procure more. Until the U.S. gov't gets its fiscal act together we have no choice but cut military spending.
      But we'll eventually need something to replace our aging fleet...we don't know when the F-35 will be operational nor if we can even afford it after it's all said and done.

It's like going with a Chevy instead of a Cadillac.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
        But we'll eventually need something to replace our aging fleet...we don't know when the F-35 will be operational nor if we can even afford it after it's all said and done.

It's like going with a Chevy instead of a Cadillac.
        Yes the current fleet is aging but with upgrades it will still outmatch any potential enemy.

Basically the bottom line is that we are going to have to stop overseas military operations such as Iraq,Afghanistan etc. We have reached the point where such operations are unaffordable,unproductive and lead to blowback.
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I don't think any more should be built. We still seem to be on the path to someday spend the entire defense budget on one aircraft.

Comment

While not directed at the F-22 in particular I am expressing my POV at our defence funding in general.

We need to focus on on increasing exports of defence equipment and use those funds to fund priority equipmentfor this we will have to lessen some of the very stric and redundant export control laws. We also need to delegate more responsibilities to trusted allies like Japan and some others especially in the Persian Gulf and the Western Pacific so our share of the military burden is reduced. It is not fair we spend 5% of GDP on defence while Japan spends just 1% while we are responsible for Japan's security. Similarly we provide security for all the oil shipments out of the Persian Gulf and so many benefit without paying. We need to find a novel way of adressing this bias.

While I hate to see deprivation of funds for defence we need to get our economic house in order at all cost. Fund defence but not at the cost of making us bankrupt otherwise the situation will just keep getting worse.
            We must keep our key capabilites intact maybe at a reduced level till we get our house in order but under no circumstances lose them.
            Last edited by Slim; 13 Sep 12, 20:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Slim View Post
              While not directed at the F-22 in particular I am expressing my POV at our defence funding in general.

We need to focus on on increasing exports of defence equipment and use those funds to fund priority equipmentfor this we will have to lessen some of the very stric and redundant export control laws. We also need to delegate more responsibilities to trusted allies like Japan and some others especially in the Persian Gulf and the Western Pacific so our share of the military burden is reduced. It is not fair we spend 5% of GDP on defence while Japan spends just 1% while we are responsible for Japan's security. Similarly we provide security for all the oil shipments out of the Persian Gulf and so many benefit without paying. We need to find a novel way of adressing this bias.

While I hate to see deprivation of funds for defence we need to get our economic house in order at all cost. Fund defence but not at the cost of making us bankrupt otherwise the situation will just keep getting worse.
              We must keep our key capabilites intact maybe at a reduced level till we get our house in order but under no circumstances lose them.
              Agreed. Increased sales of our current equipment and downsizing current capabilities in return for working diplomatically to increase our allies capabilities and spending- removing treaty restrictions on Japan would be nice, donating what we can't sell to other nations also a good option.

Though the F-22, so shiny, must have more regardless of good fiscal sense!
              Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
              And sorry I could not travel both
              And be one traveler, long I stood
              Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
              I took the one less traveled by,
              And that has made all the difference.

Comment

The last time I looked the production lines for the F-15, F-16 and F-18 Super Hornet were still going. Lets buys some of these to get us through any shortfalls. Why should we delete units to buy F-22 and F-35 aircraft?

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The last F-22 aircraft had a delivered unit cost of approximately $137M each. So because of the current production rate of the F-35 the unit cost of that aircraft is approximately $110M each. Unfortunately, starting up the production line will probably cost a substantial amount which would drive up the unit cost of the F-22 if factored in.

Comment

The US should let other countries like Japan and Israel buy the F-22 that would bring the cost of buying more F-22's down.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceW View Post
                      The US should let other countries like Japan and Israel buy the F-22 that would bring the cost of buying more F-22's down.
                      That's what the F-35 is for. As well as our entire 4th generation inventory and lines. Since it is theoretically 'best of the best', the US should keep the design. No sense letting the tech becoming proliferate.
                      Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
                      And sorry I could not travel both
                      And be one traveler, long I stood
                      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
                      I took the one less traveled by,
                      And that has made all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by PitchRate View Post
                        The last F-22 aircraft had a delivered unit cost of approximately $137M each. So because of the current production rate of the F-35 the unit cost of that aircraft is approximately $110M each. Unfortunately, starting up the production line will probably cost a substantial amount which would drive up the unit cost of the F-22 if factored in.
                        What is your opinion? More F22's or 35's or more of the tried and true older models? F18, F6, F15's etc.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Slim View Post

Agreed. Selling the F-22 to Japan,RoK, Australia and Israel is a no brainer. I'd probably throw India into that mix as well. I'm wary of selling it to any of the Gulf states just for the fact that most are despotic regimes and could fall.

Comment

What has India done lately to deserve our best fighter? They like Soviet hardware.

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                              The last time I looked the production lines for the F-15, F-16 and F-18 Super Hornet were still going. Lets buys some of these to get us through any shortfalls. Why should we delete units to buy F-22 and F-35 aircraft?

Pruitt

You make a good point, the spending has to stop somewhere...

I've heard that some systems in the latest F-15, F-16 and F-18 SH are more modern then those fitted to the F-22, is this true?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X