F-18 Crash n Burn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-18 Crash n Burn

This is from the 2010 Airshow in Lethbridge, Canada.

I did a few searches and didn't see any of this posted previously so I'm posting them for perusal.

The pics are nice high res shots.

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvi...thbridge_2010/

At altitude the pilot might have recovered from a flame out. Pretty quick reflexes on the eject button!

Musta sukked a Maple leaf into the engine...
    Attached Files
    Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
    This is from the 2010 Airshow in Lethbridge, Canada.

I did a few searches and didn't see any of this posted previously so I'm posting them for perusal.

The pics are nice high res shots.

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvi...thbridge_2010/

At altitude the pilot might have recovered from a flame out. Pretty quick reflexes on the eject button!

Musta sukked a Maple leaf into the engine...
    Astounding reflexes on the eject button indeed. Is it possible that the ejection was automatic when the flame out occured?

Comment

Notice the flames shooting out of only one engine as it hits the ground too....

Comment

BTDT...

I posted on this (in the Barracks though) back when it happened.

Link to Thread

From one of my posts in the linked thread:

...fortunately 188738 was one of our birds that had already recieved the upgraded NACES/Mk14 ejection seat. The one photo shows how the seat has already done a 90 degree turn upwards immediately after exiting the aircraft. In the older Mk 10 seat the outcome would have been far worse I think.
        And another:

At 12:20 local on 23 July, CAF Demonstration pilot Capt. Brian Bews of 425 Squadron punched out of his CF-18 Hornet, while practicing the "High-Alpha" pass for this weekend's Lethbridge Airshow. Investigations continue and no statement (as to cause) has yet been released; for my part, I'm leaning towards a bird ingestion as the most likely suspect.

In the second video (with the PA speaker front and center) you can see a puff of smoke from the rear of the aircraft (0:12), the right wing dips as the power drops off (0:19) and he rams the throttles forward a few seconds later; you can see the smoke trail from the still functioning left engine. Things go rapidly "sideways" as the left engine spools up...he fully crosses the controls, in a vain attempt to counteract the asymmetric forces...then quickly realizes that it's unrecoverable and the evac training kicks in.
        Never did follow this up to see what the incident report had to say about it.
        I don't know if the video links still work...

Cheers, Ron
        48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
        __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

Update/"Necro-bump".

For any of those interested in such matters, the official report on this crash was published in the Directorate of Flight Safety's section of the Canadian military's website on 10 December, 2012. The cause of the crash was found to be a faulty component (a part of the fuel management system), on the right engine installed in the aircraft at the time of the incident.

The depth of information/analysis in this report is nothing short of amazing. I guess losing a multimillion dollar aircraft in a very public manner will do this!

In the appendix attachments (at the end of the loooong document), are a further series of photos which I have never seen before. These are tagged with indicators as to the state of the flight controls and engines during the transition to the unrecoverable attitude the aircraft was in by the point of impact with the ground.

So it wasn't a birdstrike/ingestion after all...but it may as well have been, given the similar outcome.

LINK

Enjoy, Ron
          48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
          __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

Originally posted by iron View Post
            For any of those interested in such matters, the official report on this crash was published in the Directorate of Flight Safety's section of the Canadian military's website on 10 December, 2012. The cause of the crash was found to be a faulty component (a part of the fuel management system), on the right engine installed in the aircraft at the time of the incident.

The depth of information/analysis in this report is nothing short of amazing. I guess losing a multimillion dollar aircraft in a very public manner will do this!

In the appendix attachments (at the end of the loooong document), are a further series of photos which I have never seen before. These are tagged with indicators as to the state of the flight controls and engines during the transition to the unrecoverable attitude the aircraft was in by the point of impact with the ground.

So it wasn't a birdstrike/ingestion after all...but it may as well have been, given the similar outcome.

LINK

Enjoy, Ron

I've worked with the DFS.
            Very thorough group and fascinating methods of investigation.
            Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X