Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Stealth Tech

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Stealth Tech

    From Popular Science

    A New Engineered Stealth Metamaterial is the Blackest Ever . Some snips:

    A new blacker-than-black metamaterial absorbs almost all the light that hits it, heralding a new breed of stealth technology.

    The material's internal structure absorbs almost all the electromagnetic radiation in a particular range, New Scientist reports. Ordinary black objects, by contrast, always reflect a bit of light. The material could be applied to all parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, meaning it could be used to make materials invisible to radar.
    and

    Designed by Evgenii Narimanov of Purdue University, Mikhail Noginov of Norfolk State University in Virginia and their colleagues, the material consists of silver nanowires embedded in very thin 0.4-inch aluminum oxide squares. Their array-like structure gives them their unusual properties, New Scientist says.

    Man-made metamaterials can also bend light to create invisibility cloaks, ultra-thin sound-proof walls and even miniature Big Bangs and megaverses.
    The full article is linked above.

  • #2
    page doesnt seem to be working, but it sounds like a amazing discovery...

    Comment


    • #3
      Try this link.

      http://www.newscientist.com/article/...the-shade.html

      Fascinating stuff. Now that the secret is out, I wonder how hard it is to manufacture the stuff? This might be knowledge that the governmentg might have wanted to keep classified.

      Comment


      • #4
        If stuff like this can be applied to planes with noticeable results it could give aeronautical designers to be a little more freedom in how an airframe can be configured. Current designs like the F-22 and F-35 suffered from excessive heat from internal components, due to the fact that ventilation was keep to a minimum to avoid radar reflection.
        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
        Ernest Hemingway.

        "We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
        Bukowski

        Comment


        • #5
          This development could also result in less stringent shaping requirements for future aircraft. Maybe the finished product need not be as blemish free and achieve extreme tolerances as required by current stealth platforms. This could have significant cost impacts.

          On the other side of the coin, a lot of bright minds must be thinking of ways to overcome the stealth advantage. But if the electromagnetic spectrum is largely negated and IR detection has serious limitations, what's left? Interesting times ahead, that's for sure..

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
            If stuff like this can be applied to planes with noticeable results it could give aeronautical designers to be a little more freedom in how an airframe can be configured. Current designs like the F-22 and F-35 suffered from excessive heat from internal components, due to the fact that ventilation was keep to a minimum to avoid radar reflection.
            ...thats a problem for a lot of software driven aircraft, however it is excaebated by aircraft which try to limit the amount or IR energy being emmitted from them. Certainly the 5th gen aircraft are prime examples of this...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kuma View Post
              Try this link.

              http://www.newscientist.com/article/...the-shade.html

              Fascinating stuff. Now that the secret is out, I wonder how hard it is to manufacture the stuff? This might be knowledge that the governmentg might have wanted to keep classified.
              ..thanks for that, i have now had a chance to read it all...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by galland View Post
                ..thanks for that, i have now had a chance to read it all...
                I wonder why you weren't able to access the page. It seems to be working fine. Sorry for any inconvenience Galland.

                Comment


                • #9
                  no inconvenience, just couldnt wait to read about it...!!!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    http://jmrc.tripod.com/fa/stealth/stealth1.htm

                    Here's an interesting look at stealth tech as published in Popular Science way back in 1997. Looks at EM, IR and visual stealth tech.
                    I see how the F-22 adopted the narrow rectangular nozzles. And notice the light-colored strip around the edges of the horizontal and vertical control surfaces -- probably there to distort the shape to confuse new gen IIR missiles. One can assume there is more classified stuff we'll never get to know.
                    I also wondered why many F-15 pilots commented that they have a very hard time seeing a Raptor visually, even when they are told one is approaching from a certain direction. I think I have a better idea now why this is the case.
                    An old article but definitely worth a read.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ..its articles like that which explain why they cost so much per unit in the first place, no compromise on anything menas big bucks have to be paid, but what a system you end up getting for it..!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by galland View Post
                        ..its articles like that which explain why they cost so much per unit in the first place, no compromise on anything menas big bucks have to be paid, but what a system you end up getting for it..!
                        Agreed. The lessons learned are invaluable. You have to break some eggs to make an omelette.

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X