X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found in Yemen

Found in Yemen

A US cruise missile
    Remains of a BGM -109D Tomahawk Land – attack cruise missile IT was carrying cluster bombs.

“Attack with aggression, but always have a plan of retreat”

Originally posted by wellsfargo View Post
    Found in Yemen

A US cruise missile
    Remains of a BGM -109D Tomahawk Land – attack cruise missile IT was carrying cluster bombs.

Shot down? Crashed? Or one hell of a negligent discharge? if its the latter I really dont want to have to fill the paper work in.

Your grandchildren would still be paying for it.
    "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

This was the apparent source story: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...2.299b415.html

I'd have to see the parts but the story is far from definitive. All cargo munitions have petal/panels that separate to release the payload.

The odd part is not that we're operating in Yemen (we have been) or that we'd attack an al Qaeda target there (done it already). Cluster munitions are not normally used against targets in built up areas as they don't penetrate to the lower floors of buildings were our al Qaeda perps are presumably sulking and skulking. For a building I'd expect the attack to have been conducted using a unitary warhead with a delay fuse setting.

Cluster munitions are normally used against weapons, troops, and vehicles in the open or against supply stockpiles.

Could this be a recently recovered misfire left over from one of the many strikes against Saddam?
      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
        This was the apparent source story: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...2.299b415.html

I'd have to see the parts but the story is far from definitive. All cargo munitions have petal/panels that separate to release the payload.

The odd part is not that we're operating in Yemen (we have been) or that we'd attack an al Qaeda target there (done it already). Cluster munitions are not normally used against targets in built up areas as they don't penetrate to the lower floors of buildings were our al Qaeda perps are presumably sulking and skulking. For a building I'd expect the attack to have been conducted using a unitary warhead with a delay fuse setting.

Cluster munitions are normally used against weapons, troops, and vehicles in the open or against supply stockpiles.

Could this be a recently recovered misfire left over from one of the many strikes against Saddam?
        I do not give this story much credence Gary; Tomahawks are not anti-personnel weapons, and that includes the variant that carries submunitions. TLAM-D missiles are designed specifically for destroying aircraft in reveted emplacements and missile batteries not goat herding tribesmen. I am sure what those birds cost these days, but back in the mid 90s TLAM missiles used to cost roughly $1.3 million each. It is simply much more cost effective to use a UAV equipped with Hellfire missiles to kill tangos than it is to use even a single TLAM.
        Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
        Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post

Fired at Iraq?
          I wouldn't know how a e.g. TLAM-D could fly the other way around for a 1000 miles without falling prey to its own selfdestruct mechanism. After all every single missile is monitored. The Yeminites did originally report around 40-50 AlQaida fellows in that vicinity - most AlQuaida units were mobilized on vehicles.

Maybe lacking the availability off a hellfire and upon receiving the news of a 50 or so AlQuida troops even a TLAM would be a very good financial bargain.

Regards
          Kruska

Comment

A US cruise missile

Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
            Shot down? Crashed? Or one hell of a negligent discharge? if its the latter I really dont want to have to fill the paper work in.

Your grandchildren would still be paying for it.

Report London Press…Local Paper.
            Amnesty International (AI) “US cruise missile attack in December 2009”

Comment

Well that explains it.

AI, being a little slow, is just now following up on actions from last December. Most likely this one:

US launches cruise missile strikes against al Qaeda in Yemen
              By BILL ROGGIODec 19, 2009

Read more: http://www.longwarjournal.org/archiv...#ixzz0qguy4fFA

IIRC this was one of the areas where the Christmas panty-bomber was thought to have trained.
              Last edited by GCoyote; 12 Jun 10, 20:19.
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X