Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tank stuck in mud, how would you get it out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank stuck in mud, how would you get it out?

Here is a video of an M60 MBT stuck in mud, it appears an M88 recovery vehicle tried to push it forward, thus giving the tank damaged mud guards. How would you get it out of the mud?

"In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

One more complication, unless that tank had fording gear, the engine has been drowned making its extraction that much harder. The APC above can swim across deep water.

Somebody should have gotten wet and muddy to hook up tow cables to the front, top photo, or, as this picture below shows, the rear.

Placing logs under the track also helps in the slippery mud.

Last edited by SRV Ron; 13 Jul 17, 05:51.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
      Here is a video of an M60 MBT stuck in mud, it appears an M88 recovery vehicle tried to push it forward, thus giving the tank damaged mud guards. How would you get it out of the mud?

Somebody is going to have to suck it and get wet and dirty and hook cables up to the M60 and pull it out with the M88.
      "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Seems like pulling it out would be the way to go. If that doesn't work I guess they could try draining the swampy area and letting things dry out. Then they could try pulling it out or driving it out again in better conditions.

Stryker19K30 served in M1's for a while. I'm sure he knows about recovery techniques.
        Last edited by llkinak; 02 Jun 10, 10:31.

Comment

What I do know is that whatever you do don't get the M88 Stuck. That happened to a unit i was working with recently. Absolute nightmare to get out, even with engineering support. IIRC recovery involved towing it out with 2 D7s and a couple of M1A1s
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Napalm the area dry and then napalm the ground hard... then wait for the engine to dry out and drive that baby out of there.
            BoRG
            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

I would guess that different mud would require different methods.The area that M60 is stuck in looks coastal,the substrate is sand.I don't think that stuff would be as sticky as the muck that the vehicles in Ron's photos are trapped in.

I'm thinking that what Ron said about the motor being drowned as the real problem.Maybe it's not really that stuck in the mud,it's simply "dead in the water".
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Well, I've been watching Swamp Loggers on the Discovery Channel where they have an all-terrain logging operation with tracked vehicles sinking in marshes all the time. They do the same thing that tankers would do: throwing logs under the tracks to give traction accompanied by towing support from another vehicle. A tracked logging tractor has one tremendous advantage though that a tank doesn't have: it can use it's mechanical arm as a crutch to push itself out of the hole with the arm. In a tank a corresponding extremity is the main gun barrel but that is useless for such maneuvers.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                  What I do know is that whatever you do don't get the M88 Stuck. That happened to a unit i was working with recently. Absolute nightmare to get out, even with engineering support. IIRC recovery involved towing it out with 2 D7s and a couple of M1A1s
                  We did the same IN an engineer unit. To add insult to injury, they ran out of fuel so we had to send in a HEMTT tanker to refuel them.

That was a fun night.
                  If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Nobody mentioned good, old shovel?

Comment

Might need two M88s to pull that one out.... have the driver do the hook up.
                      My worst jump story:
                      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                      No lie.

~
                      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

kelt
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                          Well, I've been watching Swamp Loggers on the Discovery Channel where they have an all-terrain logging operation with tracked vehicles sinking in marshes all the time. They do the same thing that tankers would do: throwing logs under the tracks to give traction accompanied by towing support from another vehicle. A tracked logging tractor has one tremendous advantage though that a tank doesn't have: it can use it's mechanical arm as a crutch to push itself out of the hole with the arm. In a tank a corresponding extremity is the main gun barrel but that is useless for such maneuvers.

Logs or thick planks under the tracks followed by towing support is the correct methods. Also you have to remember that in any modern armored formation Enginering units are close at hand and they have numerous assets at their disposal far better than most logging companies. Unless ofcourse the enemy prevents your engineers from reaching you

Comment

Actually it looks like one of the vehicle recovery training areas at Ft. Knox.

I'd call it fender-deep so in theory one M-88 should be able to pull it out with the main winch. Someone IS going to have to crawl in there at some point to connect the cable up to the hook hooks, front or back.
                            Attached Files
                            Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

To the original question: What equipment do I have to get it out?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X