Gun of the Week #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun of the Week #2

(Week #2,hope it's better than last weeks)

HK21,HK21E,and Variants

(These are promotion pictures from TSC Machine,who specialize in belt-fed HK weapon repairs.The "E" stood for Export,the exported versions had longer recievers and barrel jackets. This update was made in 1981)

(For those who are wondering what "E" stand for it simply mean Export.)

(An original HK21A1 on its tripod,which is rare to find in the United States.)

Specifications: (HK21)

Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO (also has been converted to .223,.308,and more)
    Weigth: 16.09 lbs. (empty)
    Length: 40.16 in.
    Feed System: Metal Link Belt
    Effective Range: 2,200 yards
    ROF: 900 rds/min
    Action: Delayed Blowback; Selective Fire
    Muzzle Velocity: 2,700 ft/sec

History:

In 1961 Heckler and Koch decided it was time to make a universal machine gun that was to be as close to their (at the time) popular G3 rifle in terms of design and maintence. The action of this new machine gun was close to that of the G3 rifle. The HK21 fired from a closed bolt and it's belt feed module was located below the reciever. This made loading and unloading of the HK21 more difficult compared to other machine guns, But it made replacing the belt feed module with a magazine fed module easier than other machine guns. This below the receiver design made it permittable to use the G3's box magazine (which again,was a very popular assault rifle at the time).

The HK21 is still considered a "light" machine gun even though it fires a 7.62x51mm NATO round thanks to its portability and ableness to be fired by a single person. The HK21 was developed with a decent range of tripods and bipods (some tripods even looked very similar to the MG42's tripod system). The HK21 had spawned a very wide range of modifications and deviations (one reason why it's still in use today). Different calibers included 7.62x39 Soviet (never produced in large numbers) and 5.56x45 US (I am not sure how many were produced in this caliber). Heckler and Koch also made quite a number of box-fed HK21, Even though any HK21 could be converted to box fed if you had the right parts on hand.

The delayed blowback action of the HK21 was lighter than most rivals and fired from a closed bolt, limiting their maximium effective range and substained fire capabilities. But the stationary barrel and closed bolt-firing along with selective trigger made these very accurate weapons on single-fire. The HK21 is a very ideal squad automatic weapon. I am not sure how many different countries are using this weapon, but in my opinion the HK21 is a very nice design and is just another fine product of Heckler and Koch.

EDIT: I also frogot to mention that the HK21 is also able to switch out it's barrel with a new one in case it gets hot,I don't know how I left this bit of information out.
    Last edited by PMCinc.; 31 May 10, 10:27.
    Studying Logistics since birth....

16 pounds is a bit light for a sustained fire 900 rpm 7.62X51. Sort of defeats the point of an accurate machine gun when the beaten zone gets stretched too much because the gun is hard to keep still. I guess if it were on a tripod that would help, however. Can't say I've ever fired one of these, anyone have any first hand experience with them?

Comment

HK certain makes some great looking weapon.

Yes, it's a bit on the light side for a sustained fire role. I guess it's more a squad light machine gun to complement G3 armed infantrymen.

Comment

Yes this design would be better suited for the 5.56

Comment

These types of MG's have been needed for quite sometime. The US finally got with the program, if only slightly, and got the Mk.48 from FN which weighs in at 18lbs.
          The HK sounds like an infantryman's dream. Lightweight, yet still it's a true MG. I don't really think that the rate of fire would be an issue. It would be rare for an experienced gunner to just depress the trigger and blow through that much ammo.
          "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Hey look! more pictures!...Yes this is a pretty light MG put thats not much of a bad thing. I highly doubt anyone in their right mind would go rambo with this gun or any gun for that matter.

(this is a brand spanking new HK21E "shorty" in a .308 caliber)

(One of those tripods I was talking about)

Comment

Interesting that it mounts on an MG-42 tripod so well.
              "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                Interesting that it mounts on an MG-42 tripod so well.
                I was thinking the same thing but I saw a different pic with a factory model tripod for the HK21 and it looks strikingly similar to the MG42 tripod.

Comment

Originally posted by PMCinc. View Post
                  I was thinking the same thing but I saw a different pic with a factory model tripod for the HK21 and it looks strikingly similar to the MG42 tripod.
                  Well, why mess with something that is proven and a very solid piece of equipment.
                  "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

It's too light and overheats quickly. There's a reason that no major military adopted it. If you're going to use a heavy MG42/MG3 bipod, why not just stick one of them on it?

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                      It's too light and overheats quickly. There's a reason that no major military adopted it. If you're going to use a heavy MG42/MG3 bipod, why not just stick one of them on it?
                      The HK21 has interchangable barrels,I posted that as an edit.

Comment

Originally posted by PMCinc. View Post
                        The HK21 has interchangable barrels,I posted that as an edit.
                        I know that. Who's going to be carrying all those extra barrels? They'll be heating up so fast it's not funny.

Comment

The MG 42 had the same issues with the barrels, courtesy of its 1200rpm fire rate. This MG is good for 2 things. 1) Fire team support weapon for units using G3 style rifles. 2) Support weapon for units specializing in short-medium range, short duration urban assaults.
                          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                            The MG 42 had the same issues with the barrels, courtesy of its 1200rpm fire rate. This MG is good for 2 things. 1) Fire team support weapon for units using G3 style rifles. 2) Support weapon for units specializing in short-medium range, short duration urban assaults.
                            Exactly,plus the HK21 fires 900rpm and if you notice in the one TSC Machine promo picture you will notice the tube with a sling on it. That is were the replacement barrel is carried ,This makes it able to be fired and matained by a single person instead of a two man team. Also you have to remember this was a weapon designed in the 1960s with a already proven weapon design (with a couple modifications). So of course it doesn't have a good chance of standing up against more modern machine guns. (but that is going to change with the HK21E "Shorty")

Comment

Wrong again. You keep posting pics from a small company trying to drum up support for a mod that they make. It's advertising, not facts. There's a reason that none of the LMGs/SAWs made from battle rifles succeeded. They were too light. Even discounting their pisspoor rate of fire, they recoiled too heavily. The M14E2 and FAL HB were in the same category. You can't go much below 20lbs for anything other than a very specialized weapon.
                              Last edited by johns624; 01 Jun 10, 06:44.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X