Gun of the week #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun of the week #1

About 1 year ago I started a weekly thread highlighting different guns from the past 200 years,everything from the well known to the absurd.
    I got good feedback the last time I started this but due to some computer issues I haven't been on Armchair General for over a year,I would like to start this back up and I would seriously like your guys feedback if I should continue with this weekly thread or if it is a not so good idea. Well let's begin with my first weapon,An odd little french rifle.

MAS 49

[assorted Mas 49's]

Cartridge: 75 x 54mm French Service
    Length: 1100mm (43.3in)
    Weight: 10lb 6oz
    Barrel: 22.83in
    Rifling: 4 grooves
    Magazine Capacity: 10 rounds

In Production: 1951-1965

After WWII the French Army was in desperate need of a modern service rifle to relpace the collection of pre-war weapons, acquired from various sources, with which it was equipped at the cessations of hostilities. Work had been started on a design for an automatic weapon as early as 1924 but all development was halted by the German invasion of 1939. In 1944, with the liberation of France, work was once again resumed and culminated in to the MAS 49 that was issued to the troops in 1949. It bore a strong family resemblance to the MAS 36 espically in it's two part stock and slab-sided receiver. The new weapon,however was a semi-automatic. Gas-operated, it used direct gas blast to blow the bolt carrier backwards,instead of the more usual piston. 1956 saw the introduction of a slightly improved model, the MAS 46/56. The modifications were made to conform more closely to NATO standards and consisted of changing the muzzle into a NATO standard grenade-lauching configuration, with 22mm gas sealing rings. The fore-end was shortened to allo the grenade tail to fit over the barrel and the front sight re-located to a ramp behind the grenade stop ring. A special grenade sight was also added. The MAS 49 remained the standard French rifle until the arrival of the FAMAS in 1980, when large numbers were handed over to the former French colonies.

Information sourced from the book: Illustrated Guide to Combat Weapons.
    Last edited by PMCinc.; 23 May 10, 18:00.
    Studying Logistics since birth....

I love your idea! Keep it up man!!
    I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

I second the motion. It will be very educational for me, specially if you focus on guns that aren't that cpmmon;y known.

Just a suggestion : maybe you could compare your gun of the week with whatever is/was the de facto standard weapon in its class and do a brief strength/weakness analysis.
      regards.

Comment

Originally posted by kuma View Post
        I second the motion. It will be very educational for me, specially if you focus on guns that aren't that cpmmon;y known.

Just a suggestion : maybe you could compare your gun of the week with whatever is/was the de facto standard weapon in its class and do a brief strength/weakness analysis.
        regards.
        I like the idea but I'm just here to inform the masses of just how many different types of guns are out there, Also thank you for comments guys.

Comment

Originally posted by PMCinc. View Post
          I like the idea but I'm just here to inform the masses of just how many different types of guns are out there, Also thank you for comments guys.
          OK that's fine. Tnx again.

Comment

A blow-back rifle?
            Sounds as ugly as it looks.

I would have tried for something a little more ambitious, like a modernization of that rifle German Paratroops had towards the end of the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
              A blow-back rifle?
              Sounds as ugly as it looks.

I would have tried for something a little more ambitious, like a modernization of that rifle German Paratroops had towards the end of the war.
              This is the French we are talking about,they are horrible with most things weapon wise (even though the FAMAS was a pretty revolutionary design).
              Last edited by PMCinc.; 24 May 10, 21:26.

Comment

This is the French we are talking about,they are horrible with most things weapon wise (even though the FAMAS was a pretty revolutionary design).
                It wasn't that revolutionary. Look up the British EM-2 from 30-years before. Besides, the FAMAS couldn't even take a standard NATO 30-rd magazine. It would be crap for logistics.

Besides, you can't get a FAMAS like this

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                  A blow-back rifle?
                  Not a blowback, more like a gas impingement like an AR.

Comment

I really like this idea...but at cicero...of course you can't get a FAMAS to look like an L85! That's like saying a Tommy gun was bad because you couldn't make it look like a Browning .50 HMG...
                    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

The French Chauchat was probably one of the worst designs and very prone to jamming, specially in the filthy trenches in WWI. The American BAR was available at the time and was an excellent weapon however I've read that the Yanks were so afraid that samples would find their way into enemy hands and would be copied.. somehow this reason doesn't ring true for me as justification to keep a superior weapon unavailable to your own troops.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
                        I really like this idea...but at cicero...of course you can't get a FAMAS to look like an L85! That's like saying a Tommy gun was bad because you couldn't make it look like a Browning .50 HMG...
                        That's not your standard L-85 in my picture.

Comment

Well I could really care less what kind of L85 it is, but I think I made a perfectly good point.
                          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Well, now you went and did it. Stand by for Kelt.

Comment

I have a 49/56 and quite like it. I think mine is the only 7.62mm conversion that worked out of the box (the fact that there is generally a problem with the conversions is Century arms' fault, not the French). I just need to shorten the firing pin a bit to prevent slam fires with soft primered civilian ammo. They are a sturdy rifle with pretty good sights. Their downside is small magazine capacity. The direct gas action does not cause as much fouling in the action as the trap for the gas is on top of the tilting bolt which does not let gas into the receiver, unlike on the M16 that directs the gas well inside the bolt carrier.
                              45B10 1986-91

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X