Close up on the PAK FA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close up on the PAK FA

“For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

That's a nice video, thanks for posting.
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
    Mark Twain.

Comment

Its a sexy looking airplane. It will be years though before we can get a better appreciation if its performance matches its looks. We've been told the new gen engines are around 10 years down the road. Sophistication and capabilities of its avionics suite still to be disclosed and proven. Same thing with its level of stealthiness, is it a LO or true VLO design? And how affordable will the jet cost to build and to maintain? Still a lot of grey areas and speculation surrounding the PAK-FA.

Comment

Originally posted by kuma View Post
        Its a sexy looking airplane. It will be years though before we can get a better appreciation if its performance matches its looks. We've been told the new gen engines are around 10 years down the road. Sophistication and capabilities of its avionics suite still to be disclosed and proven. Same thing with its level of stealthiness, is it a LO or true VLO design? And how affordable will the jet cost to build and to maintain? Still a lot of grey areas and speculation surrounding the PAK-FA.
        ..indeed , we have only scratched the surface with this plane, and to me it totally validates the design principles involved in the construction of the F-22...

Comment

I can hardly tell this aircraft apart from the F-22, I probably just have a very bad eye for airplanes. (unless they have some very distinctive feature, like the 747's hump) This plane is just a little bit behind the F-22 in performance characteristics but is much cheaper, which fits the Russian military hardware idealogy quite well, make the equipment as cheap and quick to produce as you can without cutting too deeply into performance.
          Standing here, I realize you were just like me trying to make history.
          But who's to judge the right from wrong.
          When our guard is down I think we'll both agree.
          That violence breeds violence.
          But in the end it has to be this way.

Comment

I heard from a guy with more pay then me that judging by the looks of the aircraft, this particular design will not go into production as there is no space for weapons systems.

Something like the TS21(?) that was a test bed for the Su-27
            “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
              I heard from a guy with more pay then me that judging by the looks of the aircraft, this particular design will not go into production as there is no space for weapons systems.

Internal weapons bays perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Czin View Post
                I can hardly tell this aircraft apart from the F-22, I probably just have a very bad eye for airplanes. (unless they have some very distinctive feature, like the 747's hump) This plane is just a little bit behind the F-22 in performance characteristics but is much cheaper, which fits the Russian military hardware idealogy quite well, make the equipment as cheap and quick to produce as you can without cutting too deeply into performance.
                Maybe this will help.. note the "Firefox" is just a nickname some fans have given the plane.

Comment

Eh? Your mate doesn't guess too well!
                  There are two internal weapons bays underneath, between the two engines!

Last edited by Achtung Baby; 20 May 10, 21:01.
                  Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                    Eh? Your mate doesn't guess too well!
                    There are two internal weapons bays underneath, between the two engines!

Yup, plus another two claimed missile compartments outboard of each engine.. needs confirmation though.

Comment

Yup, plus another two claimed missile compartments outboard of each engine.. needs confirmation though.
                      Judging from the pic I posted, there seems to be two hard points on each wing aswell.
                      Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

..i think thta is a astute observation, it will probably be relied upon as a test bed for this programme, these fifth gen aircraft take a lot of effort to get right, and this will not be a programme that would benefit from being rushed....

Comment

i found it interesting the way the pilot sat, lots of vision over the nose of the aircraft and to the sides and over the shoulder, but seems limited right behind the pilots head......

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
                            ..i think thta is a astute observation, it will probably be relied upon as a test bed for this programme, these fifth gen aircraft take a lot of effort to get right, and this will not be a programme that would benefit from being rushed....
                            Which raises questions about when this jet will achieve actual operational capability and be produced in meaningful numbers. Most reports I've read cast doubt on the projected 5-year development and testing phase. Maybe 8-10 years might be more realistic given the bugs that they'll no doubt uncover and need to remedy.

I agree 100% that rushing the testing and development could backfire. If the Indians are willing to wait, then why rush?

Comment

Maybe this will help.. note the "Firefox" is just a nickname some fans have given the plane.
                              It is fairly to tell them apart when you view them from the front or back, moderately harder to do so from the bottom (depends on your depth perception), and much harder to do so from the sides and the top. Well, that is if they were painted the same and given the same markings.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X