X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded M-60A1

My old warhorse is still serving.

IMI Delivers the last of 170 Upgraded M-60A1 to the Turkish Army

Through the upgrade program the tank's original 105mm rifled gun was replaced with a new 120mm smooth bore gun, all-electric turret drive, sophisticated optronic and fire control systems. The armor suite was enhanced with advanced hybrid armor system protecting the crew. A modern powertrain was also introduced, including a more powerful 1000 hp MTU diesel engine with matching transmission and final drive from Renk, both from Germany, and advanced suspension system derived from the Merkava design. The modernized tank has undergone extensive testing and qualification performed in Israel and Turkey, by Turkish test and evaluation teams, supported by IMI and the program's subcontractors.
    more http://www.defense-update.com/featur...Defense+Update)
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

50+ years in service if you count the M48 as part of the series...
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

For such modernisation, one has to wonder if it is good thing to do.

As listed in previous post, practically every component in tank is changed. Only thing left were probably wheels and tracks, with basic armour - which is solid steel and weak by today's standard.

At price of 4 million USD per tank, it is questionable if it was better to buy additional Leo 2 and even upgrade them.

Comment

Originally posted by vathra View Post
        At price of 4 million USD per tank, it is questionable if it was better to buy additional Leo 2 and even upgrade them.
        How much does a used Leo 2 cost on the market?This upgrade may be what the Turks need.Who would they really be going up against anyway?The Greeks?The Iranians?
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

The PKK most likely. The new M60s are more then enough for that. They'd be pretty effective against Iran's Zulfiqars and T-72s as well.
          "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
            50+ years in service if you count the M48 as part of the series...
            I'd say about 66 years of service, if you count the M26 Pershing, the M46, and M47. They were all part of the series with the M26 as the grand grand grand daddy.

Comment

I think it says a lot that Israel can have such good relations with a Muslim country, in particular one of a military nature.. gives one hope for the future .

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                The PKK most likely. The new M60s are more then enough for that. They'd be pretty effective against Iran's Zulfiqars and T-72s as well.
                That's what I'm thinking.Marine Corp M60A3 TTSs had no problems with Iraqi T-72s,so this is probably a good choice for the Turks.
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by vathra View Post
                  For such modernisation, one has to wonder if it is good thing to do.

As listed in previous post, practically every component in tank is changed. Only thing left were probably wheels and tracks, with basic armour - which is solid steel and weak by today's standard.

US$4M is a lot of money but the Turks seem to be getting a lot of capabilities in return; its practically a brand new vehicle. The upgrades include a new hybrid armor according to the article.

Comment

Nothing wrong with upgrading the M60A1, for them it's probably logistically better to do that rather than get more Leopards. But what is more interesting is that they are modernizing their local industries at the same time, which is timely considering the new locally built MİTÜP Altay MBT is in it's prototype stages and 1000 are planned to be built.
                    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

I've read about the Sabra, and supposedly, according to wiki (crucify me...), it's about equal in capability to the Merkava Mk. IV.
                      It's not that I should win, but that others should loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                        Nothing wrong with upgrading the M60A1, for them it's probably logistically better to do that rather than get more Leopards. But what is more interesting is that they are modernizing their local industries at the same time, which is timely considering the new locally built MİTÜP Altay MBT is in it's prototype stages and 1000 are planned to be built.
                        I would have to disagree.

First, I want to point out that I think this is very fine upgrade of M60 tank, and that new tank is very capable.
                        What I question, is decision to make such upgrade, instead of ordering new tanks or upgrading more modern ones.

Speaking of M60, what has to be upgraded to make it again frontline MBT?
                        - new gun
                        - new FCS
                        - new turret mechanism
                        - additional armour
                        - new engine + transmission
                        - new suspension + possible change of wheels and tracks.
                        --------
                        When we sum all of this, only thing left was practically solid steel body, which has some defficency - it is weaker than composite armour, tank is taller than modern tanks, possibly ergonomics is not so good etc.
                        It is questionable how this armour would fare against modern RPG, with tandem warhead, which can greatly reduce effectiveness of active armour. Modern western tanks have very strong basic armour, which can held against almost any HEAT round. With M60 basic armour, it is not case.

I would rather add 20% more, and build completely new tank.

---------

Speaking of logistics, new tank gun is good choice, by performance and logistics, since they already use it.
                        But it seems that engine and other parts are unique in Turkish army for this upgrade, so it could make logistic more difficult.

Comment

Funny you mention the Zulfiqar because it is essentially a mutation of the M60
                          Radio Paris Ment...
                          Radio Paris Ment...
                          Radio Paris est Allemand...

- Radio London opening intro

Comment

Considering the threat faced by the Turks - Syria? Iran? Russia?, an upgunned and upengined M60A1 is not a bad choice.
                            Beside, would the US be ready to sell M1A1 Abrams to the Turks?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                              Beside, would the US be ready to sell M1A1 Abrams to the Turks?
                              Why not?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X