Some WWI weapons are still threats today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some WWI weapons are still threats today

It's amazing what keeps turning up from former conflicts. But uaually not here in the US. It must be pretty scary for the residents . Robert

Buried in a DC yard: WWI chemicals, weapons

By BRETT ZONGKER, Associated Press Writer Brett Zongker, Associated Press Writer – Fri Apr 16, 5:34 pm ET

WASHINGTON – A year ago, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers thought chances of finding any more chemical weapons in the front yard of a home in the nation's capital were slim. So they removed an airtight protective structure from the World War I munitions cleanup site. Then, they uncovered a small arsenal.

The Corps discovered an open flask containing traces of the chemical agent mustard, another blistering agent called lewisite and munition shells with more digging near a one-time Army chemical warfare station at American University.

More recently, protective structures were rebuilt and digging continued. Workers found a larger jar with mustard, glassware that was smoking and fuming, scrap munitions and a shell containing a tear gas agent.

The Army Corps has removed more than 500 pounds of glassware and scrap metal and nearly 750 barrels of soil, some of it contaminated with chemical agents, said spokeswoman Joyce Conant.

It's too soon to know, though, whether the Army Corps has uncovered a fourth major disposal area in the pricey Spring Valley neighborhood near American University, Nobel said.

During World War I, the Army used the university as an experiment station to develop and test chemical weapons. Some munitions were fired into a nearby wooded area during testing. When the Army station closed, the leftover munitions and chemicals were buried behind the school in what was then rural farmland.

The pits were discovered in 1993 as homes were built. This is the fourth major excavation since.

All the new discoveries have area residents on edge the Army Corps has underestimated the scope of contamination. Neighbors are thinking of their drinking water, property values and where the next munition might turn up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_dc_munitions_dig
    For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Don't forget all the unexploded shells in europe. I hear that some still claim victims, and I bet you money there are more unexploded munitions from WWI then there are WWI veterans left in the world, which greatly saddens me.
    Standing here, I realize you were just like me trying to make history.
    But who's to judge the right from wrong.
    When our guard is down I think we'll both agree.
    That violence breeds violence.
    But in the end it has to be this way.

Comment

REcovery of WWII duds are almost a daily event here in Germany. Forunatly they are almost always removed with out damqge or injuries.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        REcovery of WWII duds are almost a daily event here in Germany. Forunatly they are almost always removed with out damqge or injuries.
        With the amount of tonnage dropped there during WWII that's not surprising really. The same goes for the WWII landmines in North Africa. But finding chemical weapons from WWI here is a totally new thing .Robert
        For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Comment

Originally posted by Czin View Post
          Don't forget all the unexploded shells in europe. I hear that some still claim victims, and I bet you money there are more unexploded munitions from WWI then there are WWI veterans left in the world, which greatly saddens me.
          That's so very true. From what I recall munitions are still found and gas still seeps up from the ground in France from WWI.

Comment

Originally posted by JCFalkenbergIII View Post
            With the amount of tonnage dropped there during WWII that's not surprising really. The same goes for the WWII landmines in North Africa. But finding chemical weapons from WWI here is a totally new thing .Robert
            More are found here than you think! The "responsible" thing to do years ago was to bury munitions and chemicals. We know better now, but there are lots of places in America where stuff is still buried.

Comment

Originally posted by Afghanisdan View Post
              More are found here than you think! The "responsible" thing to do years ago was to bury munitions and chemicals. We know better now, but there are lots of places in America where stuff is still buried.
              Perhaps. But WWI chemical weapons? Robert

Comment

Not suprising at all. Back in the 1990s a large project here turned up numerous deposits of toxic chemicals buried under the downtown streets. A barge cannal that ran through the city was closed in the 1860s, & used as a dump for nearly 90 years. The industrial solvents and production residues identified were often as or more toxic that WWI era weapons.

Two decades earlier over a ton of highly toxic chemicals were found decomposing in a abandond warehouse, also downtown, just two blocks from the courthouse & the central cluster of office buildings. If the warehouse had not caught fire in 1979 they probablly would have remained there another decade.

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Afghanisdan View Post
                    Yep.
                    It must really be disconcerting to the residents living with the possibility of being around the chemicals. Robert

Comment

It must really be disconcerting to the residents living with the possibility of being around the chemicals. Robert
                      There's a small island off the coast of Europe, I forget exactly were, which was used as a dumping ground for WWI chemical rounds. It Is strictly off limits, however enforcement is more based around "you'll die if you go there".

Every few years they look at cleaning the site up, but they've come to the conclusion its far to expensive and dangerous. So they've just piled up a ton of sand on-top of it and left it.
                      Winnie says
                      ---------------------------------
                      "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                      Herr Flick.

Comment

Well, the island of Gruinard, off the Scottish coast is still under quarantine, thanks to the anthrax spores released there.
                        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Lewisite is actually "mustard gas".
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
                            Well, the island of Gruinard, off the Scottish coast is still under quarantine, thanks to the anthrax spores released there.

wasnt it cleaned up some time in the late eighties? Sure i read that some one had been given a contract to do it?
                            "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Lewisite is actually "mustard gas".
                              Actually it is not. It is a blister agent similar to Mustard in many ways, but is chemically different.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X