Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israeli unveils tank-defense system of the future

Israeli unveils tank-defense system of the future
    By JOSEF FEDERMAN, Associated Press Writer Josef Federman, Associated Press Writer – 38 mins ago

"The tiny Trophy system, lodged behind small rectangular plates on both sides of the tank, uses radar to detect the incoming projectiles and fires a small charge to intercept them, said Gil.

After firing, the system quickly reloads. The entire process is automated, holds fire if the rocket is going to miss the tank, and causes such a small explosion that the chances of unintentionally hurting friendly soldiers through collateral damage is only 1 percent, the company says."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100402/..._of_the_future
    For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

interesting little system, no doubt the Israelis will have a chance to test it for real when they venture into the gaza strip sometime in the future...

Comment

...what a great thing...
      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
        interesting little system, no doubt the Israelis will have a chance to test it for real when they venture into the gaza strip sometime in the future...
        That's for sure . The first thought I had was the "Hammer's Slammers" books . Robert
        For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Comment

One more tool to help protect the troops out at 'the Sharp End'.
          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
            One more tool to help protect the troops out at 'the Sharp End'.
            My thought exactly . I dunno why but I like it better then the British "force field" Robert

"If the technology works, he said it will reduce the need for heavy armor on tanks — resulting in lighter vehicles that are easier to transport and deploy and are more nimble on the battlefield. But, he noted, "it's a lot easier to get it to work on a test range than it is to get it to work on a battlefield."
            Last edited by JCFalkenbergIII; 02 Apr 10, 18:30.

Comment

I love it. I hope they have nothing but success with it.

Comment

This is interesting too. I wonder how well it functions and what functions it has . Robert

"Rafael has also developed an unmanned naval boat called the Protector, which it says is already prowling the waters off the Gaza coast. The Israeli navy confirmed the Protector is being tested, but gave no further details."

Comment

It works right up until ATGMs etc., become equipped with deception jammers.....

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    It works right up until ATGMs etc., become equipped with deception jammers.....
                    There is that too. I could imagine that some may be thinking the same thing. But how long until countermeasures like that would come out? Robert

Comment

Israeli unveils tank-defense system of the future

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100402/...f_the_future_3

I don't know, what do you guys make of this?
                      "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
                      --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Comment

Originally posted by JCFalkenbergIII View Post
                        There is that too. I could imagine that some may be thinking the same thing. But how long until countermeasures like that would come out? Robert
                        Not only how long until they come out (there will eventually be a counter-measure). But when will that counter-measure make it into the hands of filthy, unwashed terrorists?

Comment

Threads merged.
                          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                            Threads merged.
                            Thanks Richard. I didn't notice that someone duplicated the subject . The article quoted below is very informative.Robert

"The Trophy active protection system creates a hemispheric protected zone around the vehicle where incoming threats are intercepted and defeated. It has three elements providing – Threat Detection and Tracking, Launching and Intercept functions. The Threat Detection and Warning subsystem consists of several sensors, including flat-panel radars, placed at strategic locations around the protected vehicle, to provide full hemispherical coverage. Once an incoming threat is detected identified and verified, the Countermeasure Assembly is opened, the countermeasure device is positioned in the direction where it can effectively intercept the threat. Then, it is launched automatically into a ballistic trajectory to intercept the incoming threat at a relatively long distance."

http://defense-update.com/products/t/trophy.htm
                            Last edited by JCFalkenbergIII; 03 Apr 10, 15:30.

Comment

One extremely well known author talked about measures, counter measures, anti counter measures etc etc. He stated in one of his books in the 8th millenium it was important that troops knew the nuances of using the bayonet. I'm sure it was Robert A Heinlein but I'm happy to be corrected .

Having just watched Body of Lies this doesn't surprise me. The best technology does not have to be the most sophisticated, just one that works.
                              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X