Electrical Armour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Armour

The British are developing a electrical force field system that'll protect armoured vehicles from incoming rounds,are the Americans working on this as well?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...cientists.html

pssh, the US military already has plasma shielding strapped to hover-tanks powered by nuclear fusion reactors...it's top secret in Area 51 so the general public doesn't know about it... >_<
    Surrender? NutZ!
    -Varro

Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death. -Sun Tzu

Comment

Interesting idea. And the report says there was a proof of concept demo a few years back? It certainly would a major evolution/revolution in tank design.

Comment

I see major problems with this.

If the attacking weapon isn't made of magnetic material... an easy fix for something like an RPG (aluminum and plastic)... then a strong magnetic field has no effect. Most KE penetrators already are made of non-magnetic materials like tungsten carbide and uranium.

The field would be like an EMP burst on the vehicle in many ways too. This would make things like electronics within the vehicle vulnerable to self-damage and could also interfer with radio and internal communications.

On the whole I doubt the utility of it would outweigh the problems of installation and use.

Comment

And like anything electronic it's prone for malfunctions.

It might be a nice addon, but certainly not a replacement.

Comment

Come on Oded, it works against Klingons!

Seriously, the mesh type they mentioned in article seems plausible for RPGs, but it seems that sabot rounds or EFPs would not be affected. So I agree with you about just being an addition instead of a replacement of traditional armor. I like the idea of adding the Trophy system as well.

Comment

Might seem obvious to us but I hear of more and more people seriously starting to consider a complete electronic "armor suite" That's just ridiculous...

Comment

Electric armour in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rxBifd0cY

Appears useful against RPG's, and thus useful against poorer armies. These may be the normal opponents in future wars.
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  Electric armour in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rxBifd0cY

Appears useful against RPG's, and thus useful against poorer armies. These may be the normal opponents in future wars.
                  I wouldn't underestimate the potential of this thing. Sure it has a long way to go before it could be deployed in the field but the concept is proven to work. What's needed now is continued R&D money.
                  A lot of people would probably have laughed at the idea of stealthy airplanes or smart weapons at one time but not anymore. As for using non-magnetic substances to defeat the system, I don't know what kind of RPGs were used but its a good bet they had copper linings for the shaped charge warhead. Copper is non-magnetic but the system repelled the attack nonetheless. This is the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that is essential to drive innovtive new advances in military tech.

Comment

No one's laughing at it, but just as "dumb ammo" is produced and used alongside "smart bombs" to supplement it and at times cover for it, just like tank gunners learn to use the most primitive forms of aiming and snipers know to use both laser range designators and "classic" forms of distance and wind measurement- any form of electronic protection should be built around standard armor and not on it's expense.

Comment

I think electrical armor could turn out to be a great boon to lighter vehicles such as LAVs or IFVs, so long as the bulk and weight can be kept down. It might also be the solution to protecting key mobile installations (like C3 trailers, Radar or SAM command trucks, or bulk fuel transports) from indirect fire threats (mortars, arty etc.)

However, on MBTs and other large AFVs, I cannot see any substitute for actual armor. While it might be nice to think that you could make an extremely light MBT that could do 100mph, look into what all that integral armor does for you: It provides the bulk necessary to dampen the recoil of what is essentially a 5 inch naval gun. It protects against blast overpressure, NBC threats (with the right seals), chemical, and kinetic energy weapons.

Electrical "shields" could provide some protection against large threats, but how long would the shields themselves stay intact in a continuous threat environment. In a running battle between MBTs and IFVs with infantry support, a tank's armor and shields are going to be being pounded with RPGs, light cannon fire, MG and rifle fire, ATGMs, Main Gun rounds, and Indirect assets/Aircraft launched ordnance. Throughout this time, the shields will not need to be used against light cannon fire or rifle/MG fire. They will rarely be needed against indirect assets like mortars or light artillery. How long can this shielded portion of the armor stay functional when it is being hit with 25mm DU rounds, 12.7 & 7.62 rounds in quantity, and shrapnel from nearby mortar and artillery strikes?

Can it stay reasonably functional throughout these non-threats (to an MBT) and be able to detect, distinguish, and deploy against that incoming RPG or 125mm shell? If it deploys against every hand-grenade, 25mm round, or mortar shell that throws shrapnel its way, it's going to be a major power drain on the vehicle to deal with threats that are not important.

Also, electrical armor is only good on fixed surfaces. It will be useless in protecting the running gear, weapons, or hatches of a vehicle. I guess longer side skirts could be introduced, but these would adversely affect off-road performance.

The only MBT deployment that I can forsee for electrical armor is on the back deck, turret top, and rear of the MBT. These three areas are more vulnerable than the other more armored regions, and more difficult to armor. They also face predominantly 1 type of threat, that is from RPGs or top-attack weapons/artillery. Thin plates of electrical armor, suspended above the grating on the back deck, could provide protection against shrapnel and RPGs while still allowing the tank to function as originally designed. Such a setup would allow electrical armor to be a simple add-on to existing tank designs, and a reasonable deployment with reasonable expectations of success.

Another field that might be well-served by electrical armor would be the Navy. Depending on the actual method that this armor functions by, it might not degrade under exposure to immersive quantities of water. As such, it could be used on the sides of the hull and superstructure of a warship to provide additional last-line protection against gunfire and ASMs.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X