Some info on the KV-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some info on the KV-2

Did the Russians put any other gun in this oversized turret other than the 152mm? I heard there may of been another assult gun mounted it it.

[/IMG]

Thanks in advance
    Obermasterfuher
    Last edited by Obermasterfuher; 20 Mar 10, 13:25.
    The potentcy of the 88 was that it was present, in reasonable numbers, when it was needed, They had them. We did not.
    Ian Hogg

Yes

The put a rocket launcher in it, the put a stolen Flak 88 in it, and they installed a 75mm sherman gun just for grions
    HEIA SAFARI!!
    Afrika Korps, 1943 or in German "Deustche Afrika Korps(DAK)

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Fox 42 View Post
      The put a rocket launcher in it, the put a stolen Flak 88 in it, and they installed a 75mm sherman gun just for grions
      Any references? Where can I find this info?
      The potentcy of the 88 was that it was present, in reasonable numbers, when it was needed, They had them. We did not.
      Ian Hogg

Comment

Originally posted by Obermasterfuher View Post
        Did the Russians put any other gun in this oversized turret other than the 152mm? I heard there may of been another assult gun mounted it it.

[/IMG]

Thanks in advance
        Obermasterfuher
        Never heard of it and as there were only 255 KV-2's ever made I doubt anybody cared about refitting the turret for anything but the 152 howitzer. Especially when there were plenty of KV-1's to experiment with.
        www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
          Never heard of it and as there were only 255 KV-2's ever made I doubt anybody cared about refitting the turret for anything but the 152 howitzer. Especially when there were plenty of KV-1's to experiment with.
          Apparently, there was a plan to mount the new F-39 107mm tank gun on the KV series. Trials were conducted with this gun mounted in the turret of a KV-2. The project was dropped when estimates of the thickness of German tank armour were found to be wildly exaggerated.

Page 14, 'KV-1 & 2 Heavy Tanks 1941-1945', Steven Zaloga, Jim Kinnear & Peter Sarson, Osprey, 1995
          Last edited by panther3485; 21 Mar 10, 10:34.
          "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
          Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

I am not aware of any armament other than the 152mm howitzer for the KV large turret - subsequently known as the KV-2. However, the type of 152mm howitzer did change. The original design called for a 152mm howitzer M1909/30. This was changed in favour of the 152mm M1938. When serial production began on the KV-2, a new turret design was introduced, along with a new armament - the 152mm M-10S. Panther is right that there were plans to install a 107mm gun in the KV-2 and a prototype was built - but that was all.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther3485 View Post
              Apparently, there was a plan to mount the new F-39 107mm tank gun on the KV series. Trials were conducted with this gun mounted in the turret of a KV-2. The project was dropped when estimates of the thickness of German tank armour were found to be wildly exaggerated.

Page 14, 'KV-1 & 2 Heavy Tanks 1941-1945', Steven Zaloga, Jim Kinnear & Peter Sarson, Osprey, 1995
              I'm a bit confused here - I've just googled it and found references to Ф-39 which is a 85mm tank gun - and some sources say it's a 95mm(?) gun.
              www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
                I am not aware of any armament other than the 152mm howitzer for the KV large turret - subsequently known as the KV-2. However, the type of 152mm howitzer did change. The original design called for a 152mm howitzer M1909/30. This was changed in favour of the 152mm M1938. When serial production began on the KV-2, a new turret design was introduced, along with a new armament - the 152mm M-10S. Panther is right that there were plans to install a 107mm gun in the KV-2 and a prototype was built - but that was all.
                Thanks. Thats likely what I heard about. Another model of the same gun is the most plausable explanation for what I heard.
                I play A&A miniatures and the second gun theory came up in a discussion. Thanks again
                Ian Hogg

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                  I'm a bit confused here - I've just googled it and found references to Ф-39 which is a 85mm tank gun - and some sources say it's a 95mm(?) gun.
                  Here is the only picture I have seen of the KV-2 107mm version. As for the gun itself, it is described some places as a naval gun, in other places as a tank gun or an anti-tank gun.

Last edited by Skoblin; 21 Mar 10, 15:10.

Comment

[QUOTE=skoblin;1446381]Here is the only picture I have seen of the KV-2 107mm version. As for the gun itself, it is described some places as a naval gun, in other places as a tank gun or an anti-tank gun.

Several Soviet naval guns became adopted as "anti-tank" guns, including the S-34 naval gun that later reappeared in the SU-100 tank destroyer and the T-54/55 main battle tank. Therefore, your gun could have been both a naval weapon and a tank weapon.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                      Several Soviet naval guns became adopted as "anti-tank" guns, including the S-34 naval gun that later reappeared in the SU-100 tank destroyer and the T-54/55 main battle tank. Therefore, your gun could have been both a naval weapon and a tank weapon.
                      That's very true, MZ, and I have been trying to find out more information on this gun but without success. Interestingly enough, the first Soviet built tanks - copies of the French Renault FT-17 - had reworked Hotchkiss 37mm guns obtained from the old Russian Imperial navy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X