Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the RN ever consider the Dassault Rafale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the RN ever consider the Dassault Rafale?

I've been reading some accounts(not sure how true) that the RN isn't pleased with the lack of faith the US has in giving them complete access to all the tech inside the F-35B. The French plan on using the Dassault Rafale for their future carrier, why not the UK consider this plan aswell?
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
    Mark Twain.

Since there's already a navalized Rafale, that's not a bad idea. I don't think there's a navalized version of the Typhoon, but that's an alternative.

Why wait for the F-35 to come of age (who knows when?) Both the Rafale and Typhoon are smaller sized aircraft that might fit on the carriers the RN are planning.

Comment

Something tells me that the chances of the RN buying anything that substantial from France are rather slim.
      "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Only if the RN is willing to be saddled by an inferior platform for the next several decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
          Since there's already a navalized Rafale, that's not a bad idea. I don't think there's a navalized version of the Typhoon, but that's an alternative.

Why wait for the F-35 to come of age (who knows when?) Both the Rafale and Typhoon are smaller sized aircraft that might fit on the carriers the RN are planning.
          Your an optimist to think the RN is going to finish those two carriers before the F 35 is operating.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Your an optimist to think the RN is going to finish those two carriers before the F 35 is operating.
            If the carriers are completed at all!!

Comment

The USMC is still planning to go operational with the F-35B in 2012. This is the same variant that the RN will buy. Now when the RN actually places a firm order (if it hasn't already done so) I'm not sure of.. They'd probably want to break them in and familiarize themselves with the a/c a couple of years before the carriers are completed. Ordering too early only means they will pay a heftier price.
              Last edited by kuma; 17 Mar 10, 07:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                Ha! Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by kuma View Post
                  Only if the RN is willing to be saddled by an inferior platform for the next several decades.

The Rafale M is the only non US built modern plane tested/approved for operation on US aircraft carriers, and one of the very best multiroles planes on the market, the 2008 redflag exercice was an eye opener!

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kelt06 View Post
                    The Rafale M is the only non US built modern plane tested/approved for operation on US aircraft carriers, and one of the very best multiroles planes on the market, the 2008 redflag exercice was an eye opener!
                    I am not saying the Rafale is a bad bird, but Red Flag is run by the USAF, and everyone knows that the best pilots wear wings of gold!
                    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by bass_man86 View Post
                      I am not saying the Rafale is a bad bird, but Red Flag is run by the USAF, and everyone knows that the best pilots wear wings of gold!
                      Gold wings and brass balls!

My mistake!
                      Since we are discussing the naval version of the Rafale and I should have used the term "Operation Brimstone" instead of Red flag that involved Air force Rafales at Nellis AFB in August of 2008.

Operation brimstone was a JTFEX carried out off the East Coast in July 2008, 5 Rafale M were integrated in the CVN 71 air wing, while a French SNA "Amethyst" was included in the task force.

kelt
                      Attached Files

Comment

Kelt,how many Rafale Ms are in service?I know the number was small to begin with,and I know that a few were lost to accidents.
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

27 Rafale Marine are in operation as of now, for a total order of 82.

kelt

Comment

Whats the difference in price?

ie per bird
                            Sealion would have failed..............runs,

Comment

If I were to invest billions on a new platform that would take me into the year 2040 and beyond, the F-35 is the plane for me. To-date the Rafale has got zero export orders, the planes are being built at the rate of 1/2 plane a month and costs are rising steadily. Its a legacy jet with legacy tech that should compete well against other legacy jets. Hopefully it won't become an orphan; hopefully it will pick up a few orders here and there.
                              But there's no way its tech will compare with what's going to be available on the F-35 when it becomes available, not to mention the enhancements identified in the coming decades. There is security in numbers and the F-35 is going to be built in the thousands ensuring long-term support. In terms of the wide array of weapons a user can deploy, advantage F-35 as well.
                              For the money, the Rafale is not cheap and neither is the F-35. But considering the long-term view, the RN made the right choice IMO.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X