BLU 108 Munition Sensor Fuzed munition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLU 108 Munition Sensor Fuzed munition

I was wondering what defense a tank or any other armored vehicle would have against this little devil which fires a molten copper penetrator against vulnerable top armor. I don't think active defense systems can deter it and making top armor thicker will be counter-productive.

That's been the thinking behind this weapon and the sensor fuzed 155mm artillery system which functions the same way.
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Is this weapon only effective against stationary targets?
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
      Mark Twain.

Comment

Would reactive armour have any protective value or is it only effective against solid penetrators?
        ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
        2) Enjoy playing it
        3) Enjoy sharing it
        4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

I would think reactive armor should be effective as it functions by disrupting the plasma jet of the explosive in a HEAT type round but don't think that reactive works as well with KE type penetrators.
          45B10 1986-91

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
            Is this weapon only effective against stationary targets?
            BLU-108

Developed in partnership with the U.S. Air Force as part of our CBU-105 Sensor Fuzed Weapon (SFW) air-to-surface munition, BLU-108 is the only U.S.-manufactured smart submunition in production today. Combat proven in Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) as part of SFW, BLU-108 is designed to accurately detect and defeat multiple moving or stationary threat targets. Battlefield Damage Assessment (BDA) reports from OIF indicate excellent BLU-108 wartime performance against various armored threats.

The BLU-108 Sensor Fuzed submunition contains four smart Skeet™ warheads equipped with dual-mode passive infrared and active laser sensors for target detection and engagement. Each Skeet™ warhead features built-in redundant self-destruct logic modes, leaving battlefields clean of unexploded warheads that endanger the lives of innocent civilians.

BLU-108 is capable of integration into a number of weapon systems as well as several foreign dispense systems, deep strike and future cruise missiles.

Works fine against moving targets.
            Also, found the following on Wiki. Its silent on countermeasures vs. a BLU 108. In theory at least, reactive armor might seem to hold promise but in reality, how practical would it be to cover a MBT, APC, truck or humvee with a layer of explosive plates from top to bottom?
            http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Explo...med_projectile
            Last edited by kuma; 25 Feb 10, 00:14.

Comment

Originally posted by kuma View Post
              BLU-108

In theory at least, reactive armor might seem to hold promise but in reality, how practical would it be to cover a MBT, APC, truck or humvee with a layer of explosive plates from top to bottom?
              At least the reactive plates would weigh less than actual armour.
              ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
              2) Enjoy playing it
              3) Enjoy sharing it
              4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Perhaps it would be more prudent to have defenses like the C-RAM, or something like a THEL(Tactical High-Energy Laser), unless there are ways to better jam the onboard IR sensors.
                "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
                  At least the reactive plates would weigh less than actual armour.
                  I've come across 2 reports claiming the ERA won't be effective against the self-forging warhead of a BLU-108. Unfortunately, no evidence or rationale was presented to support the claim.

Comment

ERA should still be effective, though maybe to a lesser extent.

Reasoning: the warhead is molten, not a tungsten or DU Long Rod Penetrator. Anything that interrupts the self-forging process is going to reduce the effectiveness of the warhead.

Other ideas include:

Thicker top armor: With such an emphasis on Urban Operations these days, increasing the thickness of turret top and deck armor makes sense. There are a lot more threats out there than these warheads, and increasing top armor helps protect against RPGs as well.

Other concept: Corrugated plates overtop. Between these and the main armor is a honeycomb which provides the structure to hold the plates away from the main armor. Filling the spaces in the honeycomb are heat-absorbing hardened ceramic pellets. The armor itself functions similar to slat armor against RPG and other HEAT threats, while the ceramics help absorb and deflect self-forging penetrators before they reach the main armor. Would be lighter than increasing main thickness, could be installed aftermarket, and would be safer to use in an environment filled with friendly infantry.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by popuptarget View Post
                      I would think reactive armor should be effective as it functions by disrupting the plasma jet of the explosive in a HEAT type round but don't think that reactive works as well with KE type penetrators.
                      New version od reactive armour are also effective against KE penetrators, lowering their efficiency up to 90%. Easiest way to achieve it to slightly tilt penetrating rod, which would cause it to break after impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
                        Would reactive armour have any protective value or is it only effective against solid penetrators?
                        Reactive armor will respond to any threat powerful enough to set off the explosive charge although I'm sure the defensive protection values will be different for HEAT rounds, different for EFP rounds and different for ordinary kinetic penetrators.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by kuma View Post
                          BLU-108

Developed in partnership with the U.S. Air Force as part of our CBU-105 Sensor Fuzed Weapon (SFW) air-to-surface munition, BLU-108 is the only U.S.-manufactured smart submunition in production today. Combat proven in Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) as part of SFW, BLU-108 is designed to accurately detect and defeat multiple moving or stationary threat targets. Battlefield Damage Assessment (BDA) reports from OIF indicate excellent BLU-108 wartime performance against various armored threats.

The BLU-108 Sensor Fuzed submunition contains four smart Skeet™ warheads equipped with dual-mode passive infrared and active laser sensors for target detection and engagement. Each Skeet™ warhead features built-in redundant self-destruct logic modes, leaving battlefields clean of unexploded warheads that endanger the lives of innocent civilians.

BLU-108 is capable of integration into a number of weapon systems as well as several foreign dispense systems, deep strike and future cruise missiles.

Works fine against moving targets.
                          Also, found the following on Wiki. Its silent on countermeasures vs. a BLU 108. In theory at least, reactive armor might seem to hold promise but in reality, how practical would it be to cover a MBT, APC, truck or humvee with a layer of explosive plates from top to bottom?
                          http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Explo...med_projectile
                          There is some puffery going on in the linked article as to propagation of Misznay-Schardin effect explosions and the 3 "generations" of shape charges, but I am not willing to get into it in an open format as this. Lets just say there is a level of BS going on in that article. The info on the actual projectile is informative at a basic level.

Actually an active protection system oriented upwards could prove very effective if programmed and engineered correctly. It would likely have a better result than against horizontal attack munitions as the pre-detonation speed of the munition is slower than a missile.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X