Most fearful threat to Axis infantryman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most fearful threat to Axis infantryman

Which Allied weapon most scared the S _ _ _ out of an Axis infantryman?
    roasted by flame thrower
    0.00%
    being stitched up by a Bren
    0.00%
    tripping over a rolling grenade
    0.00%
    being strafed by a Spitfire
    0.00%
    caught in a forest during a 105mm barrage
    100.00%
    being stitched up by a 30 cal. mg
    0.00%
    being garroted by a bayonet
    0.00%
    the uncertainty of an 81mm mortar barrage
    0.00%

Burning to death would scare me the most - so I voted for that.

Being strafed by a Spitfire was probably a relatively small possibility.

An artillery or mortar bombardment would be scary as hell, but at least there was a chance of survival.

Flames are - I dunno - just indiscriminate. If you're in a bunker or building and someone fires a flamethrower through the door, you're in for one lingering painful death.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to choose any of the above, but flames are scary as hell.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

There weren't many opportunities for bayonet charges, except by the Japanese, but I think I would opt for the big knife at the end of the barrel! My uncle, however, who served during WW II in the 442nd Combat Regimental Team always told me that if you have to resort to bayonets, you might as well run or surrender!

Comment

I voted artillery barrage in the woods. From infantrymen I have spoken too; there is nothing worse than waiting out an artillery barrage. Triple that if it is a thick woods and the shellls are bursting in the tree tops. With the others; you usually can do something to fight back or save yourself. With Artillery and mortars you have to ride it out.

U.S. Marine Ammo Dump blown up by Japanese Artillery.

Cheers!

:armed:
        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Flame thrower, without a doubt. Can not think of anything more horrific or terrifying as being roasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger1
            Flame thrower, without a doubt. Can not think of anything more horrific or terrifying as being roasted.
            How about hours under artillery bombardment? At least with a flamethrower it was relatively quick.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Have to go with the Arty Bombardment ...

I remeber reading that before operation Cobra and during the D-Day shellings where noted as one of the worst times in the lives of German soldiers ....

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
                How about hours under artillery bombardment? At least with a flamethrower it was relatively quick.

Cheers!

At least you could survive a artillery bombardment. To turn a flame thrower on somebody is an awful close and personal affair. The artillery man doesn't know where you are, you can bet the guy with the flamethrower does.

Comment

I look at the German's opponents and I see the one thing I would be terrified of on either front.
                  And that would be artillery.

On the Eastern Front, the Soviets often had as many as 300-400 guns per kilometer of front because they chose the zone of attack. They could and did mass their guns for offensive actions.
                  In the west, the Allies distributed their artillery power across the front a lot more, but their fire control was outstanding and their doctrine dictated a liberal use of available firepower in the attack.

Many a former German soldier has made mention of both the Western Allies, and the Soviet artillery barrages.
                  Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

I would say flamethrower, just the thought of being burned alive makes me shudder
                    B. FETT

Comment

I had a friend in the service whose father was in the German army. He said that the worst thing to fight was the Americans. Both the Brits, and the Russians would send out a patrol if they saw something. The Americans would call in artillery then send a patrol to see what it used to be.:bang:
                      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Roasted to death

its a universal fear...and a very painful death.
                        I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
                        -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

I voted for the flamethrower, since "being captured" wasn't on the list. Second place would have been an AP mine.

I've been on both ends of artillery and mortar barrages, and (while they're not much fun to receive) they're usually survivable. The invention of the variable time fuze by the British during the war certainly made the odds worse for Laendser, good training and staying calm could make your odds better.

Machine gun fire and strafings are unlikely to hurt anyone -- the odds are still in your favor. The proper reaction is to shoot back. Again, good training and staying calm is the key.

Most of the things on the list were expected by soldiers of all sides during WW2 -- and if they're expected, good training can overcome them.

JS
                          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                          http://www.mormon.org
                          http://www.sca.org
                          http://www.scv.org/
                          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

there are talks from German veterans who said that a weapon they feared quite a bit was the Thompson. Its rapid fire capability made it a quite fearsom weapon.

The Bren gun is a piece of junk, replace it with the Thompson.

Comment

I voted for the flamethrower as I am in agony if I only get a little bit sunburned!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X