Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange Weapons Of World War II

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Strange Weapons Of World War II

    I am starting this thread to hear about some of the strange weapons that were devolped during the war. I read once that the Germans devolped an air to ship guided missle, that would be guided from a He-111. So lets start there and see where this thing takes us.
    Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

  • #2
    Re: Strange Weapons Of World War II

    Originally posted by jdscott7280
    I am starting this thread to hear about some of the strange weapons that were devolped during the war. I read once that the Germans devolped an air to ship guided missle, that would be guided from a He-111. So lets start there and see where this thing takes us.
    That would be the Fritz-X missile. Two were fired at the surrendering Italian BB Roma and sank her.

    This page has links to photos of various German air to surface missiles.

    http://www.preservedaxisaircraft.com...s/Missiles.htm

    Cheers!


    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

    "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

    What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

    Comment


    • #3
      Favorite Strange Weapon

      We often hear of the Germans making strange and wonderful weapons of war. However, the Allieds made many strange and wonderful weapons. My favorite strange weapon of WWII would have to be the Dambusters.

      During World War II (1943), British scientist Barnes Wallis invented the spinning cylindrical bomb -- a bomb in a barrel -- to blow up German dams. The German dams provided hydroelectric power, water supply, a control of canal levels; thus a blow to the dams would be devastating to the Germans. A regular bomb would do no harm to the dams; the water would just cushion the impact unless the bomb was right up next to the dam. Torpedos would not work because the Germans had set up nets around the dam to prevent such an attack. But if a bomb could be dropped from an airplane and then skip/bounce along the water right up to the dam, it could work. So Wallis performed many experiments to determine if it could work at all, the size of the bomb, and how far from the dam it needed to be dropped.

      You will find the rest of the story here:

      http://simscience.org/fluid/red/DamBusters.html

      You should rent or buy the movie:

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...520672-4060633

      Although the breaking of the Ruhr valley dams was the most famous exploit of 617 squadron, they also used extremely heavy bombs to attack U-boat pens and to sink the Tirpitz.

      http://freespace.virgin.net/ian.bayl...is/wallis.html

      Comment


      • #4
        History Channel Sercert german weapons

        I watched something on the History Channel about Secret German weapons of WWII. The most interesting waeons was a gyro weapon used as a missle.

        Does anyone know of the weapon I am talking about?

        Please let me Know!!

        Thanks
        Peter Williams

        "We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

        Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: History Channel Sercert german weapons

          Originally posted by panzerboy
          I watched something on the History Channel about Secret German weapons of WWII. The most interesting waeons was a gyro weapon used as a missle.

          Does anyone know of the weapon I am talking about?
          Both the V1 and V2 rockets used Gyroscopes for guidance. Not sure if that's what you have in mind... But I have an other one for you:

          An 2-parts ICBM prototype... Imagine a big rocket with a V2 on top... The big rocket send the V2 high in the sky. When the rocket has done its job, it is jettison and the V2 do the rest... They hoped to hit USA with it...

          Comment


          • #6
            Right On

            This is the kind of stuff I was counting on. Y'all seem to know your stuff out here. My deal is, I tend to know a little about a lot. and a lot about a little.
            Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

            Comment


            • #7
              How about the Mistel set-up. They mounted a ME109 or FW190 single seat fighter onto a explosive packed JU88. Flew this contraption to the target where the pilot in the single seat fighter released the JU88 at the intended target. About 1 step above a sucide mission from what I understand. These were flown by KG200 which was a luftwaffe unit that specalized in unusual assignments. This unit also tested captured or crash and rebuilt Allied planes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tiger1
                How about the Mistel set-up. They mounted a ME109 or FW190 single seat fighter onto a explosive packed JU88. Flew this contraption to the target where the pilot in the single seat fighter released the JU88 at the intended target. About 1 step above a sucide mission from what I understand. These were flown by KG200 which was a luftwaffe unit that specalized in unusual assignments. This unit also tested captured or crash and rebuilt Allied planes.
                The allies did something similar with B-24s. A crew would take off in an explosives filled bomber. A chase plane would take over, and the crew of the flying bomb would bail out. The chase plane would then pilot the other craft, via remote to the target, where it would crach into the target.

                It was one of these missions in which Joe Kennedy, Jr. was killed. He was aircrewing (pilot or co-pilot) the bomb, and it exploded, literally vaporizing the aircraft. I do not recall if any of these aricraft were ever used on target. I know the project was scrapped shortly after this incident.
                Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

                Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Favorite Strange Weapon

                  Originally posted by Gepard
                  During World War II (1943), British scientist Barnes Wallis invented the spinning cylindrical bomb -- a bomb in a barrel -- to blow up German dams. The German dams provided hydroelectric power, water supply, a control of canal levels; thus a blow to the dams would be devastating to the Germans. A regular bomb would do no harm to the dams; the water would just cushion the impact unless the bomb was right up next to the dam. Torpedos would not work because the Germans had set up nets around the dam to prevent such an attack. But if a bomb could be dropped from an airplane and then skip/bounce along the water right up to the dam, it could work. So Wallis performed many experiments to determine if it could work at all, the size of the bomb, and how far from the dam it needed to be dropped.

                  You will find the rest of the story here:

                  http://simscience.org/fluid/red/DamBusters.html

                  You should rent or buy the movie:

                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...520672-4060633

                  Although the breaking of the Ruhr valley dams was the most famous exploit of 617 squadron, they also used extremely heavy bombs to attack U-boat pens and to sink the Tirpitz.

                  http://freespace.virgin.net/ian.bayl...is/wallis.html
                  Roach and I saw a bouncing bomb (or a replica) at Duxford.

                  Here's a picture, as taken from the article we did for ACG:



                  Shamless self promotion, I know...

                  Dr. S.
                  Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

                  www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

                  www.tabletown.co.uk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wow

                    That is cool!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Oops, forgot to provide the link (for those who haven't already read the piece).

                      ACG Duxford Air Museum Article

                      Dr. S.
                      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

                      www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

                      www.tabletown.co.uk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        KG200 flew captured B-17's in German markings to drop agents behind enemy lines if im not mistakin' (one german unit did, i know that, and they renamed the B-17's something with a proper german title )

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Re: Favorite Strange Weapon

                          Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
                          Roach and I saw a bouncing bomb (or a replica) at Duxford.

                          Here's a picture, as taken from the article we did for ACG:



                          Shamless self promotion, I know...

                          Dr. S.
                          My dad flew several missions while in the RAF using those skip bombs. What blew my mind was that they also skipped on the ground... I remember hearing stories about the Pathfinders using it on a prison.

                          He also did a test flight in a B-25 with a 70mm Howitzer canon mounted under the pilot's seat. It was meant to be an anti-ship canon. The test flight profile required that the big gun fired off consecutive rounds that actually stalled the B-25 in a full dive. On top of this it sheered rivets up and down the airframe that rendered the plane completely useless afterwards. It was turned into a hanger bay queen.

                          The way that my dad told this story made you laugh your a$$ off.

                          Brad
                          "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free."- Ronald Reagan at the D-Day Anniversary

                          http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7/fe0df62e.jpg

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just read about a contraption Mr. Churchill dreamed up called the cultivator #6. It was a trench digger that would allow troops and equipment to be moved toward enemy defensive positions with some protection of cover. It never really got off the ground because of the WW2 element of mobile warfare but was a heck of a concept none the less. Any of you guys in England ever seen one of these things?
                            "War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."
                            General William "Uncle Billy" Sherman

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Brad Ritter
                              Just read about a contraption Mr. Churchill dreamed up called the cultivator #6. It was a trench digger that would allow troops and equipment to be moved toward enemy defensive positions with some protection of cover. It never really got off the ground because of the WW2 element of mobile warfare but was a heck of a concept none the less. Any of you guys in England ever seen one of these things?
                              That's a new one on me I'm afraid.

                              Dr. S.
                              Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

                              www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

                              www.tabletown.co.uk

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X