M1 Carbine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1 Carbine

Can anyone clarify this for me, was the M-1 the only standard infantry weapon in WWII, that was not bolt action. I dont know if i'm correct but i heard some where that it was the only standard infantry weapon to be semi-automatic. Thanks.
    M1 Garand
    100.00%
    M1 Carbine
    0.00%
    Navy Seals- The only easy day was yesterday

Semi-autos

Russian - SvT-38 and SvT-40.
    German - G/K-43.
    United States - Johnson Rifle
    There were other lesser used semi-auto rifles.
    Regards, Gregg

Comment

Re: Semi-autos

Originally posted by Gregg
      Russian - SvT-38 and SvT-40.
      German - G/K-43.
      United States - Johnson Rifle
      There were other lesser used semi-auto rifles.
      Regards, Gregg
      While you are correct; the question was "standard" main battle rifle. And the M-1 Garand was the only Semi-Auto Main Battle Rifle.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

M1 Carbine

During the war a small light compact weapon was built, The M1 carbine. Was The Carbine just a shorter version of the M1 Garand, or was it a replacement for the 1911 .45 pistol.

Thanks

Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

I really don't know much about M1 Carbine or M1A1 Carbine history, but I know that Front sight is the same type as on the M1 rifle and their Maximum effective range is 300 yards. I don't think Carbine take replace for 1911 .45 Pistol and I know M1 Carbine see action in WWII and Korean War.

Rafe

Comment

yeha the M1 carbine saw use up until the Vietnam war when it was replaced by the M-14. The Front sights were the same as the Garand, maybe so soldiers could be familer with the sighting system!!

Thanks
            Peter Williams

Comment

From http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/m1carbin.htm

The M1 Garand was the weapon of choice for infantry. The M1 Carbine, half the weight and with a less powerful cartridge, was the weapon of choice for support troops, and others not primarily involved in infantry combat. It was designed to meet combat needs less demanding than the M1 Rifle, but more than can be met by the M1911A1 pistol. It was more convenient to use than the M1, and less intrusive to their other duties, while still much more effective than hand guns.
              Not saying this is definitive, but it was what I was thinking.
              Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Heh, yeah I agree with what that says, Iron Mike. Sounds like it hit the nail on the head there.
                Keenan K.

"Anything worth living for is worth dying for and anything worth dying for is certainly worth living for."
                -Catch-22

"We're the airborne, we're supposed to be surrounded."
                -Maj. Richard Winters, Bastogne

http://www.warmovie.com/top/gif/bob_banner.jpg

http://specialforces.low-ping.com/us...images/smg.gif

Comment

the M1 carbine was built too be given to rear echelon units i.e. Chaplins, cooks, M.P's etc. to give them a bit more fire power, this way they didn't have to carry around rifles with them all the time, and they had something with a bigger kick then the .45

Comment

Originally posted by Stationary
                    the M1 carbine was built too be given to rear echelon units i.e. Chaplins, cooks, M.P's etc. to give them a bit more fire power, this way they didn't have to carry around rifles with them all the time, and they had something with a bigger kick then the .45
                    You are right. It provided a psycholocial boost, and was more practical, for rear echelon troops. Bigger kick than a .45? The .45 had batter stopping power than the carbine could ever have had. But, the carbine had a 300 yard range, and a faster rate of fire. I wouldn't count on a .45 beyond 20 or 30 yards, tops.
                    Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

I found "Guidebook for Marines" when my Uncle joined the US Marines in 1947 until he meet his death in 1953 when he had car accident in California while he was on the way to Camp.

The Guidebook for Marines has so much information for Weapons and everything you need to know about when you joining US Marines. Now, I found the general fact about M1 Carbine:

Weight with full magazine and sling - 5.75 punds
                      Length - 35.5 inches
                      Muzzle velocity per second - 2000 feet
                      Magazine capacity - 15 rounds
                      Chamer pressure per square inch - 40,000 pounds
                      Length of Barrel - 18 inches
                      Maximum range of Cartridge - 2,200 yards
                      Maximum effective range of Carbine - 300 yards

At the short range your M1 carbine has certain advantages over other weapons, For instance, the Cal. 45 pistol only dents the new type helmet at 100 yards, while the carbine bullet goes completely through both sides of the helmet.

Rafe

Comment

There was also a paratrooper version with a metal folding stock I've heard the the metal stock was heavier than the wooden stock. Is this the case??

Thanks
                        Peter Williams

Comment

Your talking about the M1A1 Carbine and Ironmike I was thinkabout the .30 to .45 after i got finished with that post lol I was saying to my self "that didn't had up" but as you said it had a longer range then a pistol

Comment

Originally posted by panzerboy
                            There was also a paratrooper version with a metal folding stock I've heard the the metal stock was heavier than the wooden stock. Is this the case??

Thanks
                            Nope. I got to fire a fully automatic M-1 carbine with the metal stock. The stock makes it more unweidly, but, IIRC, it is lighter than the standard wood furniture M-1 carbine.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

hey Rstory were did you get to fire an M1A1 Carbine??

Do you own one?

Thanks
                              Peter Williams

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X