Best Tank Destroyer of WW II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Tank Destroyer of WW II

We've had an ongoing debate about what was the best tank of WW II. In that conversation some tank destroyers were mentioned. Lets give them their own thread. Both the turreted designs the US favored and the non-turreted designs favored by Germany and the Soviet Union should be considered.

Just to start things off I'll mention a favorite of mine, the German Hetzger. Based on a Czech chassis with a powerful 75mm gun it was fast and had an extremely low profile. It served until the end of the war and many were used after the war by Switzerland.
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

I'll say the Elefant for just shear armored. The Jagdtiger also.
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
      I'll say the Elefant for just shear armored. The Jagdtiger also.
      Both of them were basically moving pill boxes and they were only produced in small numbers. The Elefant didn't even have an anti-personnel MG and was very vulnerable to enemy infantry. Personally I'd want something more mobile.
      Lance W.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
        Both of them were basically moving pill boxes and they were only produced in small numbers. The Elefant didn't even have an anti-personnel MG and was very vulnerable to enemy infantry. Personally I'd want something more mobile.
        Slight correction, they initially didn't have hull machine guns, but after Kursk the hulls were rebuilt with hull machine guns and a new commanders cupola.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

My vote: Jagdpanther. Panther mobility combined with the dreaded 88. Good armour, low profile...a lean mean hunting machine.

For the Allies: I'd have to go with the SU-100. Similiar to the Jagdpanther, but uses a Russian 100mm that is still in service today.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by RStory
            Slight correction, they initially didn't have hull machine guns, but after Kursk the hulls were rebuilt with hull machine guns and a new commanders cupola.

Cheers!

You are correct that the Elefants that survived Kursk did add some defensive MG's and were far more effective in Italy than they were in Russia. Part of this is due to the more mountainous terrain and there was also better coordination with the infantry.
            Lance W.

Comment

My vote: Jagdpanther. Panther mobility combined with the dreaded 88. Good armour, low profile...a lean mean hunting machine.

For the Allies: I'd have to go with the SU-100. Similiar to the Jagdpanther, but uses a Russian 100mm that is still in service today.

Cheers!

The SU series by the Soviets was very successful. They were used long after WW II ended

The SU-85 and SU-100 were based on the T-34 chassis. The ultimate SU of the series was based on the JS-2 heavy tank chassis. The JSU-152 could defeat even the front armor on the Tiger. It was nicknamed the "Animal Killer".
              Lance W.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                The SU series by the Soviets was very successful. They were used long after WW II ended

The SU-85 and SU-100 were based on the T-34 chassis. The ultimate SU of the series was based on the JS-2 heavy tank chassis. The JSU-152 could defeat even the front armor on the Tiger. It was nicknamed the "Animal Killer".
                :thumb: Thanks for the info! I thought the JSU-122/152s were SPGs rather than tank destroyers!

Cheers!

Comment

Well, I guess that would depend

Should we take into account the amount of resources necessary to build one compared with available resources?

My personal favorite is the Hetzer, whether or not it was the best.

It was low to the ground, very mobile, mounted a High Velocity 75mm and could kill just about anything...and could hide just about anywhere. I've seen pictures where they had hidden inside a building....to do their killing.

Just my personal favorite.....you guys know me....got to run my mouth a bit :P

dog

Comment

Re: Well, I guess that would depend

Originally posted by moondog

My personal favorite is the Hetzer.

The Hetzer is a nice one. Still, I'd rather have a Jagdpanther. Interesting note: Besides the Swiss; the Czecks also used the Hetzer after the war. (The Swiss bought theirs from Czechoslovakia.

Cheers!

Comment

Ditto!
                      All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

The jagdpanther gets my vote also.

Comment

I would have to say the strumgaschutz aufs G. It was basicaly a well armored panzer IV with a side armor plating and a 75mm gun, along with an MG-34 anti-personal machine gun! It also was somewhat faster than other tank-killers!!
                          :bowdown:
                          Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Exactly right on both counts. You have hit the nail on the head as always, RStory.
                            I like the Hetzer for its speed and maneuvability, but if I had to go kill something, I'd want a JagdPanther or an SU-100.
                            JS
                            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                            http://www.mormon.org
                            http://www.sca.org
                            http://www.scv.org/
                            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
                              :thumb: Thanks for the info! I thought the JSU-122/152s were SPGs rather than tank destroyers!

Cheers!

Their gun was technically a howitzer so I guess they could have been used for indirect fire too.
                              Lance W.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X