Best all around weapon of WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best all around weapon of WW2

I thought of starting a thread on this. What would the best weapon need to have as far as characteristics to be named the best weapon of WW2? Mobility, multi role, impact to name a few. I would have to say the German 88mm Flak gun. Was an anti-air platform, an anti-tank gun and a close support artillery piece.
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

I would vote Essex Class Aircraft Carriers

1) Can go anywhere there is deep enough water.

2) Can extend it's power way beyond visual range with it's airwing.

3) Faster than a lot of the ships that can catch it.

4) Had good self-defence capability in the form of 8 5" guns in 4 twin DP mountings and a large complement of 20MM and 40mm guns.

I guess to make this more systemic poll/question you'd need to better define or limit the entries.

But for artillery; I'd vote the US 90MM anti-aircraft gun. Did the same thing as the 88, but was better at it. It was just not used as widely as the 88. Also it's radar fusing made it a very potent anti-aircraft weapon, but also was the reason it wasn't deployed more in combat areas cause the US didn't want the Germans getting hold of the radar fuses.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Atom Bombs. Nuf Said.

Comment

Tough toss up:

M1 Garand or MG34/42
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

How about the lowly infantryman. You can't take anything without someone to do it.:bowdown:
          Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speakup and remove all doubt.

Comment

pacific- aircraft carriers
            OR
            Alligator-style amphibious tractors

euro- the broken enigma code

for some odd reason those russian 76.2mm anti-tank guns keep coming to mind because of how they could dominate tactics due to thier relative invisibility, range and striking power....just enough of a balance of those 3 factors....
            Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

THE MP-40

Great weapon. Great range, fired 9mm parabellum (pistol ammo). Had a folding metal stock. and a 32 round magazine.

PRAISE THE LORD PASS THE AMMUNITION- ????

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
              Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

MG-42. (man-portable)

Mass producable, HIGH rate of fire, ease of changing overheated barrels (although it could not be used inside tanks because of it), it was a frightning weapon to face in combat, and it is considered by many to be the most effective weapon fielded in combat. Plus the american M-60 is based off of it and IT'S STILL IN USE! Of course it's under a different name (G-3 ?) for the German military, but how many armies still use the 88mm or the MP-40?

88mm (artillery piece)

Long range, lethal capabilities, and used in numbers. It could be used on Tanks, Aircraft, and Infantry. It was AA, AT, and artillery all rolled into one. When American's came under fire from ordanance, they always claimed it was 88s (In the same way they always claimed the German tanks were Tigers). It was feared. Which is a good thing for a weapon.

and

Stalin's Organs [Katayushka rocket launcher] (tied with the 88)

Now THIS was a feared weapon. Loud, frightning shrieks combined with great firepower and Russian mass-production make it quite a behometh on the battlefield scale of important weapons.

Atomic weapons (General Ass-kicker)

A few minutes of freefall then POW! No more civilization. Not a tactical weapons, however

Comment

Originally posted by daemonofdecay
                  MG-42. (man-portable)

Mass producable, HIGH rate of fire, ease of changing overheated barrels (although it could not be used inside tanks because of it), it was a frightning weapon to face in combat, and it is considered by many to be the most effective weapon fielded in combat. Plus the american M-60 is based off of it and IT'S STILL IN USE! Of course it's under a different name (G-3 ?) for the German military, but how many armies still use the 88mm or the MP-40?
                  I earlier cast a vote for the MG42, but if your basing it on longevity you have to go with the Browning M1919 .50 cal. MG. 85 years of frontline service and still state of the art.
                  Lance W.

Comment

yup, the M2 machine gun. Thats the best. It's still being used today and it can penetrate almost anything!

Comment

I'm going to go with the Thompson, automatic like the BAR but not as much kick.
                      "If my theory of realitivity is proved true, then France will declare me a citizen of the world and Germany will call me a German. However, if it is proved untrue, then France will call me a German, and Germany a jew."

-Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by scuud
                        The Thompson though a fine weapon was too well made for its own good. It was very complicated and expensive to produce even after it had been simplified. By 1944 it was being suplanted by the M3 Greasegun. Shortly after the war submachine guns for most military applications were being replaced by assault rifles. So I'd have to post my short list again:

M-1 Garand
                        MG 34/42
                        M2 .50 cal
                        Lance W.

Comment

Originally posted by scuud
                          you've been playing to many video games

the thompson was way to hard to fix for people in the field NO GOOD!

Comment

BAR

THE BAR was a very powerful weapon and fired .30 cal rounds. Using a 20 round box magazine. One BAR gunner Was issued per platoon.

:bowdown: :bowdown:
                            Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Re: BAR

Originally posted by panzerboy
                              THE BAR was a very powerful weapon and fired .30 cal rounds. Using a 20 round box magazine. One BAR gunner Was issued per platoon.
                              And an assistant to carry extra ammo. My dad was an assistant BARman in the 80th ID.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X