Boys Anti-tank Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boys Anti-tank Rifle

Was the Boys Anti-Tank Rifle British or American.
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

British. It was okay when compared to other anti-tank rifles, but like all was useless on anything other than an armour car.

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

I have to disagree.......somewhat!

It was okay when compared to other anti-tank rifles, but like all was useless on anything other than an armour car.
      RStory, your quote is correct as far as it went. But, if you talk about how the Anti-Tank Rifles were used by the Russians you are mistaken. The Soviet Forces had entire companies armed with Anti-Tank Rifles. These troops would wait until the armored vehicle was REAL CLOSE and then fire on it.....possibly not causing a "KILL", but at least taking away it's movement....making it an easier target for someone else.

but all in all as RStory said....the Anti-Tank Rifle was pretty much obsolete in World War II.....except that it could normally take out an armored car.....but those things are very heavy.
      dog

Comment

Re: I have to disagree.......somewhat!

Originally posted by moondog
        RStory, your quote is correct as far as it went. But, if you talk about how the Anti-Tank Rifles were used by the Russians you are mistaken. The Soviet Forces had entire companies armed with Anti-Tank Rifles. These troops would wait until the armored vehicle was REAL CLOSE and then fire on it.....possibly not causing a "KILL", but at least taking away it's movement....making it an easier target for someone else.

I can't argue your point cause, I'm sad to say, I am not up to par on my knowledge of the East Front as much as the West Front and Med. Front. However I can't even see a company of ATRs doing much more than annoying the tanks except with a lucky hit. But it is also true that while ATRs are not good for tanks; they do good for other things such as sniper rifles for long range, mg suppression, etc.

Cheers!
        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

The Boys was a .55 caliber anti-tank rifle built by the British and all but useless against armor by the time WW II started. The Brits did have some success against Italian "tanks", against the Germans it was discarded.

I actually saw one that one of my collector buddies had acquired. Woe to the shoulder of anyone who fired this beast. He only kept it a short time because he found out it was illegal to own in Maryland because it was more than .50 caliber and considered a "weapon of mass destruction". No joke!
          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
            I actually saw one that one of my collector buddies had acquired. Woe to the shoulder of anyone who fired this beast. He only kept it a short time because he found out it was illegal to own in Maryland because it was more than .50 caliber and considered a "weapon of mass destruction". No joke!
            Is that where we've been going wrong in Iraq?

Dr. S.
            Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
              Is that where we've been going wrong in Iraq?

Dr. S.
              It was maybe 10 years ago my friend had the Boys. Maybe they have a different title for it since WMD's have a decidedly different meaning now, but that's how it was listed in the ATF literature of the time.
              Lance W.

Comment

Anti Tank rifle vs Jappanes tank

Could a .55 Cal bullet from a rifle take out a japanese tank???
                Peter Williams

Comment

Re: Anti Tank rifle vs Jappanes tank

Originally posted by panzerboy
                  Yes, I think so.

And a smart use of AT rifles were quite important in WWII... their role as effective means against armored cars was enough to buy them a place in the troops as a cheap sub for RPGs.
                  Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

thanks

Thank you for your reply on that question!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
                    Peter Williams

Comment

Re: Anti Tank rifle vs Jappanes tank

Originally posted by panzerboy
                      I'm pretty sure it would penetrate the side/rear armor of many Japanese tanks, which is why most remaining Boys A/T rifles were sent to the Pacific theater after Japan attacked British holdings in December 1941.
                      Lance W.

Comment

Gunny's $.02

Coincidently on the History Channel's "Mail Call" Sunday night the Boys Anti-Tank rifle was shown. Unfortunately its test firing was only done against a stack of Spam cans so actual penetrating power is somewhat of an unknown.

It was mentioned that the US Marines used these successfully in the Pacific. In particular Guadalcanal was mentioned. Does anyone have any related stories regarding their use by US forces.

If any has info I'd love to hear them.
                        Lance W.

Comment

Re: Gunny's $.02

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                          Unfortunately its test firing was only done against a stack of Spam cans so actual penetrating power is somewhat of an unknown.

Modern day Spam cans are probably tougher than vintage Japanese tank armour anyway aren't they?

Dr. S.
                          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Boys penetration

The Boys rifle could penetrate around 1 1/4 inches of armor plate at 100 yards. That falls off to about 3/4 inch at 500 yards.
                            That is just a little better than a 50 BMG.
                            The WWI German 13mm ATR was rated at 3/4 inch at 250 yards.
                            The WWII German 8mm ATR was rated at 7/8 inch at 300 meters.
                            Finally, the 20mm Lathi was rated at 1 inch at 250 meters.
                            Regards, Gregg

Comment

Re: Boys penetration

Originally posted by Gregg
                              The Boys rifle could penetrate around 1 1/4 inches of armor plate at 100 yards. That falls off to about 3/4 inch at 500 yards.
                              That is just a little better than a 50 BMG.
                              The WWI German 13mm ATR was rated at 3/4 inch at 250 yards.
                              The WWII German 8mm ATR was rated at 7/8 inch at 300 meters.
                              Finally, the 20mm Lathi was rated at 1 inch at 250 meters.
                              Regards, Gregg
                              I guess its safe to say the spam cans didn't have a chance. But on a serious note, does anyone have Guadalcanal stories in which the Boys was used?
                              Lance W.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X